‘MacGyver’ Reboot, Dr. Phil Drama ‘Bull’ Get CBS Pilot Orders

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
CBS is adding two procedurals to its drama pilot slate, giving orders to MacGyver, a reimagining of the 1985 series from Saw and Furious 7 director James Wan; and Bull, a trial consultant drama based on Dr. Phil McGraw’s early career, from the popular daytime talk show host, Homicide creator Paul Attanasio and Amblin Television. Both projects hail from sibling CBS TV Studios.

CBS had been high from the get-go on MacGyver, a new take on a resourceful and ingenious agent who improvises his way out of sticky situations using everyday items like rubber bands, chewing gum and a Swiss Army knife.

The new series, which comes from Wan, the original’s executive producer Henry Winkler and writer Paul Downs Colaizzo, features a 10-years younger protagonist. Twentysomething Angus MacGyver gets recruited into the clandestine organization from the original series where he uses his knack for solving problems in unconventional ways to help prevent disasters from happening. The series is expected to chronicle how MacGyver acquired some of his famous skill sets.

The project originally had NCIS: LA executive producer R. Scott Gemmill attached as a writer. I hear that, upon receiving his script, the producers went to the drawing board and ultimately commissioned a new script by Colaizzo, which got the pilot green light, with Wan set to direct. The two executive produce with Winkler and Michael Clear, who heads Wan’s Atomic Monster.

Wan had long been interested in the property and actually had developed a young MacGyver feature focusing on Angus’ college years.

The original series, created by Lee David Zlotoff and executive produced by Winkler and John Rich, ran on ABC for 7 seasons. It became a pop culture staple, famously parodied by Saturday Night Live‘s MacGruber. Remake-wise, the WB previously tried to develop a Young MacGyver series.

Attanasio and McGraw co-wrote Bull, based on McGraw’s early days as head of one of the most prolific trial consulting services of all time. The two executive produce with Amblin’s Justin Falvey & Darryl Frank as well as McGraw’s son, producer Jay McGraw, through the duo’s company Stage 29 Prods. Phil McGraw recently renewed his contract with CBS sibling CBS TV Distribution to continue on his hit talk show Dr. Phil through 2020.

Comments

• Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is one of those hip hop questions that I had as it pertains to Big Tymers classic, #1 Stunna.

[Turk] James Bond, Jackie Chan, and that ? , MacGyver

[Wayne] Private planes, Jaguars, Bentley's, and Prowlers
    [Baby] I'm the # 1 stunna!
    [Wayne] Wh-what, wh-what, what?
    [Baby] The # 1 stunna!

Why did Turk called MacGyver a ? ? MacGyver was hella cool. He never he was a secret agent that never killed anybody, nobody knew his first name, and he could make something out of literally anything. MacGyver never acted like nor did he conduct himself like a ? . Did the Cash Money crew meet Richard Dean Anderson and have a bad experience or something?
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is one of those hip hop questions that I had as it pertains to Big Tymers classic, #1 Stunna.

[Turk] James Bond, Jackie Chan, and that ? , MacGyver

[Wayne] Private planes, Jaguars, Bentley's, and Prowlers
    [Baby] I'm the # 1 stunna!
    [Baby] The # 1 stunna!

Why did Turk called MacGyver a ? ? MacGyver was hella cool. He never he was a secret agent that never killed anybody, nobody knew his first name, and he could make something out of literally anything. MacGyver never acted like nor did he conduct himself like a ? . Did the Cash Money crew meet Richard Dean Anderson and have a bad experience or something?

Are you joking bruh?

He was actually calling MacGyver a ? in the sense of ? that ? ass ? with hoe like tendencies....just like when somebody fays that' my ? right there in a good way

you thought way too hard bout this one
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im with the idea of a macgyver reboot
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nothing is new. these ? have run out of ideas, im good on supporting this bs