With the Rangers getting Cliff Lee, are they officially the 2nd best team in the MLB?

Options
MillzOG
MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
edited July 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
I mean, we all know the Yanks are still the best squad even with the Pettite injury, but are the Rangers now #2?.

Cliff Lee, Colby Lewis, Tommy Hunter (8-0), etc..their pitching rotation is looking stacked nh. On top of that, they got Josh Hamilton who has an outside chance of getting the Triple Crown and Vlad Guerrero who's having a major comeback year. With a healthy Nelson Cruz now and then talent like Michael Young, Ian Kinsler, and Elvis Andrus...I cant see how they wouldnt be the 2nd best team over the likes of the Tampa Bay Rays.

Comments

• Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    i dont know if i can definately say they are better than Tampa or Atlanta, but they are in that same category.
  • MillzOG
    edited July 2010
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    i dont know if i can definately say they are better than Tampa or Atlanta, but they are in that same category.

I dont think Atlanta is gonna holdup, Troy Glaus is starting to slump even though Brian Mcann is finally starting to step it up...Idk I was never sold on em since the beginning of the year and for some reason I think the Phillies are gonna make a comeback in that division if they trade Jayson Werth for a pitcher and got their guys healthy
  • MillzOG
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Damn, I forget that you ? dont watch baseball like at all
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    lol. I think you are right about the Phillies, and i think the Braves are going to need alot of luck to advance in a 5 or 7 game series. but they have a good team to do it, so long as Wagner holds up. I don't know if St. Louis is for real, or just a product of a weak division. but i dont think this years teams is near as talented as they have been in years past. But in the AL i think anyone can win it out of Tampa, NY, and Tx.
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    nah i still have tampa at # 2 imo because of the talent they have offensively and defensively,David price and if Garza can use his no-hitter as momentum
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    lol. I think you are right about the Phillies, and i think the Braves are going to need alot of luck to advance in a 5 or 7 game series. but they have a good team to do it, so long as Wagner holds up. I don't know if St. Louis is for real, or just a product of a weak division. but i dont think this years teams is near as talented as they have been in years past. But in the AL i think anyone can win it out of Tampa, NY, and Tx.

they arent. if edinson volquez can stop getting getting rocked nh, i think we can take that division
  • MillzOG
    edited July 2010
    Options

Yea even if the Braves make it to the playoffs, they're not advancing IMO. and C/S the bolded
    The BDB wrote: »
    nah i still have tampa at # 2 imo because of the talent they have offensively and defensively,David price and if Garza can use his no-hitter as momentum

Most of the pitchers who have thrown no-hitters this year have struggled afterwards, so we'll see.
    ? Shitman wrote: »
    they arent. if edinson volquez can stop getting getting rocked nh, i think we can take that division

I dont think the Reds are forreal, and if the Cardinals are able to pull off that Roy Oswalt trade then its a wrap ? then they'll have Carpenter, Wainwright, and Oswalt. Matt Holiday is finally gettin hot and Ryan Ludwick is off the DL....who would you say is the best team in the NL though? alot of surprises out there like the Reds and Padres so i dont think there is a clear cut favorite in the NL
  • Dick Shitman
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I dont think the Reds are forreal, and if the Cardinals are able to pull off that Roy Oswalt trade then its a wrap ? then they'll have Carpenter, Wainwright, and Oswalt. Matt Holiday is finally gettin hot and Ryan Ludwick is off the DL....who would you say is the best team in the NL though? alot of surprises out there like the Reds and Padres so i dont think there is a clear cut favorite in the NL

@ the bolded, it really does depend on volquez. his first game back, he looked excellent. if he can get back to that, it's like we traded for a #1 pitcher. if he looks the way he has the past two starts, it doesnt look good for us. dude threw 75 pitches in 2 innings the other day and 96 pitches in 3 innings last night smh.

as far as best team in the nl, i cant call it. padres got the best record but idk why they dont really scare me. i dont think anybody wants to see the phillis in a playoff series, but they might not even make it. i guess i'd go with the padres just bc they doing it in a division where almost every team is above .500. if the cardinals get oswalt though, thatd have to put them in contention for it
  • MillzOG
    edited July 2010
    Options
    ? Shitman wrote: »
    @ the bolded, it really does depend on volquez. his first game back, he looked excellent. if he can get back to that, it's like we traded for a #1 pitcher. if he looks the way he has the past two starts, it doesnt look good for us. dude threw 75 pitches in 2 innings the other day and 96 pitches in 3 innings last night smh.

as far as best team in the nl, i cant call it. padres got the best record but idk why they dont really scare me. i dont think anybody wants to see the phillis in a playoff series, but they might not even make it. i guess i'd go with the padres just bc they doing it in a division where almost every team is above .500. if the cardinals get oswalt though, thatd have to put them in contention for it

lmao @ the bolded, ? ...what was the injury that had him on the DL? I dont think the Padres are scaring anybody either, thats why I asked that question..they have some young pitchers who have been gettin it done nh, but the playoffs is another beast to conquer, especially for young pitchers. I think I'll go with the SF Giants if Tim Lincecum can get right (he's "struggled" his last few starts) but in the playoffs a 3 man rotation of Lincecum, Matt Cain, and Barry Zito can be scary.
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Not scared of the Rangers at all. I think Boston could beat them in a big spot.
  • Dick Shitman
    edited July 2010
    Options
    lmao @ the bolded, ? ...what was the injury that had him on the DL? I dont think the Padres are scaring anybody either, thats why I asked that question..they have some young pitchers who have been gettin it done nh, but the playoffs is another beast to conquer, especially for young pitchers. I think I'll go with the SF Giants if Tim Lincecum can get right (he's "struggled" his last few starts) but in the playoffs a 3 man rotation of Lincecum, Matt Cain, and Barry Zito can be scary.

tommy john surgery. another one bites the dust under the watch of dusty baker smh
  • MillzOG
    edited July 2010
    Options
    allied wrote: »
    Not scared of the Rangers at all. I think Boston could beat them in a big spot.

You must not be watching then. Boston's pitching has been HORRIBLE btw, especially when you take into account the fact that this year they were supposed to be a team based around "pitching and defense".
  • Gunner J. Matthews
    Gunner J. Matthews Members Posts: 301
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Yeah I agree (never mind where I live)
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    You must not be watching then. Boston's pitching has been HORRIBLE btw, especially when you take into account the fact that this year they were supposed to be a team based around "pitching and defense".

Yeah but I still could still see the Red Sox making a run if they get their pitching in order. They've done it too many times. As for the Rangers, you're right I haven't seen alot of team. But the Yanks still have to play them so I'll tune in for them.
  • Craig Robinson
    Craig Robinson Members Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    yeah they gotta be up there...the rotation is solid as hell with the exception of feldman (but hopefully he gets it going)

we still need a better bat at 1B, chris davis is not gonna ? .200 anytime soon

but i gotta say he may be the only glaring weakness on the entire team
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Clay Bucholz has Been the Only Consistent Pitcher for the Red Sox all year..

Rangers Got a Damn Good Solid Team now, Angels Picking up Dan Haren Helped also but he Always Sucks The 2nd Half of the season so i dunno if thats gonna work.
  • MillzOG
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Clay Bucholz has Been the Only Consistent Pitcher for the Red Sox all year..

Rangers Got a Damn Good Solid Team now, Angels Picking up Dan Haren Helped also but he Always Sucks The 2nd Half of the season so i dunno if thats gonna work.

Even Bucholz got injured recently, idk if hes back healthy now or whatever. That Dan Haren trade was good for the Angels, probably not for this year but in the upcoming years because he has 3 or 4 years left on his deal.
  • damon03
    damon03 Members Posts: 493
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Ahh, the Rangers STILL don't have any pitching besides Feliz and Lee. And Lee is horrible at the ballpark in arlington. The Braves are still the second best team in baseball. They have lost only two series in two months. Come on
  • MillzOG
    edited July 2010
    Options
    damon03 wrote: »
    Ahh, the Rangers STILL don't have any pitching besides Feliz and Lee. And Lee is horrible at the ballpark in arlington. The Braves are still the second best team in baseball. They have lost only two series in two months. Come on

CJ wilson, and Colby Lewis have been good all year for the Rangers...while Tommy Hunter is 8-0 (first Rangers pitcher to start out 8-0). and the Rangers have the biggest division lead in the Majors they got an 8 1/2 game lead
  • damon03
    edited July 2010
    Options
    CJ wilson, and Colby Lewis have been good all year for the Rangers...while Tommy Hunter is 8-0 (first Rangers pitcher to start out 8-0). and the Rangers have the biggest division lead in the Majors they got an 8 1/2 game lead

The Rangers biggest weakness has been starting pitching. That's why they got Lee. And them having a big league is a product of how poor the AL West is right now. They are good. But pitching is what wins in the playoffs. And one of their best pitchers is the closer. We shall see
  • Craig Robinson
    edited July 2010
    Options
    The Rangers biggest weakness has been starting pitching. That's why they got Lee. And them having a big league is a product of how poor the AL West is right now. They are good. But pitching is what wins in the playoffs. And one of their best pitchers is the closer. We shall see

you must not be following them lately

every pitcher (bullpen and rotation) has been GOOD this year except feldman

and cliff lee went 9 last night with none earned 13 k's and no walks AT HOME

pitching is now one of their strengths, not a weakness
  • damon03
    edited July 2010
    Options
    you must not be following them lately

every pitcher (bullpen and rotation) has been GOOD this year except feldman

and cliff lee went 9 last night with none earned 13 k's and no walks AT HOME

pitching is now one of their strengths, not a weakness

Starting pitching isn't a strength for them. Not yet anyway. And Lee ERA is still over 7 at the ballpark. One start doesn't change his career there.
  • Craig Robinson
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Starting pitching isn't a strength for them. Not yet anyway. And Lee ERA is still over 7 at the ballpark. One start doesn't change his career there.

i disagree about it not being a strength

and although he hasn't historically done well at the ballpark i'd say it's more important that in the past he's been virtually unbeatable in the second half
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited July 2010
    Options

Son Do You Watch Baseball At All??

CJ Wilson , Tommy Hunter, Colby Lewis have all Pitched Great for Texas ......

And the Braves Record is Good but they're No Where NEar a Championship Built Team...
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Even Bucholz got injured recently, idk if hes back healthy now or whatever. That Dan Haren trade was good for the Angels, probably not for this year but in the upcoming years because he has 3 or 4 years left on his deal.

Yea Bucholz is back.