Foxx: Black Stars Need To #ActBetter To Win Oscars

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
Jamie Foxx has reportedly told fellow actors of colour threatening a boycott of the Oscars over its all-white nominees to #actbetter if they want to win the top prize.

Appearing at the American black film festival awards on Sunday, the Oscar-winner joked that he and Denzel Washington were unimpressed with complaints over the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ failure to nominate a single actor of colour for the second year in a row.

“All these Oscar talks, I don’t even trip about that,” said Foxx, according to US Weekly. “I mean, what’s the big deal? I was sitting at home with my Oscar, like ‘What’s all the hubbub?’”

According to Page Six, Fox added: “Me and Denzel were like, ‘Hashtag what’s the big deal? Hashtag act better.’”

Foxx cited the attitude of Sidney Poitier, who became the first black winner of the best actor Oscar in 1964 for his turn in Lilies of the Field. “I was with Sidney Poitier just a couple weeks ago, and in 1963 all he asked for was an opportunity to act,” Foxx said. “That’s all we have to do: opportunity. If you turn the camera on and say, ‘OK … win an award … and action,’ we’ll all have taken 10 steps back. It’s all about the art. Who cares about anything else?”

According to Page Six, Foxx also poked fun at Will Smith’s cod-Nigerian accent in Concussion. Smith has denied that the joint decision with his wife Jada Pinkett Smith to boycott the Oscars over diversity has anything to do with his failure to pick up a best actor nomination for his turn as forensic pathologist Dr Bennet Omalu in Peter Landesman’s film.

The 2016 Oscars ceremony will take place at the Dolby theatre in Los Angeles this Sunday, 28 February. Spike Lee, Tyrese Gibson and Michael Moore are among other notable figures who have called for a boycott or signalled that they will not be attending over diversity.

Comments

• CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol oh ? . hahahaha
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Headline buries the actual point of what he said when he talks about speaking with Sidney Poitier which is what everyone else has said...it's about opportunity
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited February 2016
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Headline buries the actual point of what he said when he talks about speaking with Sidney Poitier which is what everyone else has said...it's about opportunity

Yea but he said this:
    I was with Sidney Poitier just a couple weeks ago, and in 1963 all he asked for was an opportunity to act. That’s all we have to do: opportunity.

That's not really up to us, especially when it comes to oscar movies.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One of them dress wearing negros......

Smh.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »
    Jamie Foxx has reportedly told fellow actors of colour threatening a boycott of the Oscars over its all-white nominees to #actbetter if they want to win the top prize.

Appearing at the American black film festival awards on Sunday, the Oscar-winner joked that he and Denzel Washington were unimpressed with complaints over the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ failure to nominate a single actor of colour for the second year in a row.

“All these Oscar talks, I don’t even trip about that,” said Foxx, according to US Weekly. “I mean, what’s the big deal? I was sitting at home with my Oscar, like ‘What’s all the hubbub?’”

According to Page Six, Fox added: “Me and Denzel were like, ‘Hashtag what’s the big deal? Hashtag act better.’”

Foxx cited the attitude of Sidney Poitier, who became the first black winner of the best actor Oscar in 1964 for his turn in Lilies of the Field. “I was with Sidney Poitier just a couple weeks ago, and in 1963 all he asked for was an opportunity to act,” Foxx said. “That’s all we have to do: opportunity. If you turn the camera on and say, ‘OK … win an award … and action,’ we’ll all have taken 10 steps back. It’s all about the art. Who cares about anything else?”

According to Page Six, Foxx also poked fun at Will Smith’s cod-Nigerian accent in Concussion. Smith has denied that the joint decision with his wife Jada Pinkett Smith to boycott the Oscars over diversity has anything to do with his failure to pick up a best actor nomination for his turn as forensic pathologist Dr Bennet Omalu in Peter Landesman’s film.

The 2016 Oscars ceremony will take place at the Dolby theatre in Los Angeles this Sunday, 28 February. Spike Lee, Tyrese Gibson and Michael Moore are among other notable figures who have called for a boycott or signalled that they will not be attending over diversity.

This made me feel like hes being extremely sarcastic
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yep sometimes you gotta go beyond the headlines people don't be that lazy.. i mean we are all guilty of it. but when rage/outrage come into play .. Dont be lazy
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    He was joking (I hope)
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not sure if he was simply being sarcastic or serious.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Would be GOAT sarcasm if that's what it is
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jokes, huh?

Alright, I'll play along...for now.

I'm also noting this as a strike in case of any future questionable behavior.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even if he was joking there is still a kernel of truth in there
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My feeliiiiiiiiings!!!....
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    nvm say the title and thought it was Fox news lol
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Uh oh....

Man, I saw this quote this morning and immediately thought to myself, "Damn, another 20 page thread over at G&S"
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    “ I didn't see mad max fury road....I just don't get it" - anonymous Oscar voter ( mad max is nominated for best picture)

“ idris elba is good ...but a lot of us didn't see it ...we thought it was a TV thing" - anonymous Oscar voter on beast of no nation
  • white sympathizer
    white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He aint nothing but a ? anyway, ? after average used up white hoes like katie holmes, ? him.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I watch the Oscars, it's only to see Chris Rock's monalogue.
  • King_sorrow
    King_sorrow Members Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    For black people to win an oscar we need to get roles in movies (or make our own) that aren't either A: some lame black relationship drama or B some tired ass historical racial troupe or C: A comedy starring kevin hart.

I mean honestly name one black movie from the past 5 years(aside from beasts of no nation but I think lil dude won something for that role) that doesn't fit into the categories above.

• MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you actually saw him say it at the awards, you could see he was obviously joking