'Idiocracy' Writer Says Satirical Film About Dumbed-Down America Has Become A 'Documentary'

Options
D. Morgan
D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
When Joe awakens from 500 years of cryogenic sleep, he enters a world of total and utter idiocy. Intellectual curiosity is dead, as is social responsibility. “The intelligent,” the narrator explains, have become an “endangered species.”

This was the plot of the 2006 cult comedy “Idiocracy,” a satirical movie that poked fun at an imagined dystopian version of America, where everyone -- including lawmakers and government officials -- were morons. But this week, the film’s writer said the world of “Idiocracy” had become all too real.

“I never expected 'Idiocracy' to become a documentary,” Etan Cohen, who co-wrote the film, posted on Twitter on Wednesday.

“I thought the worst thing that would come true was everyone wearing Crocs,” Cohen added.

As The Hill noted, Cohen, who also penned scripts for “Beavis and Butthead,” “Tropic Thunder” and “Men in Black 3,” wasn't the first of the “Idiocracy” crew to take a jab at the absurdity of the current election cycle.

Actor Terry Crews, who played President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho in the film, tweeted in character last month:
twitter.com/terrycrews/status/687664783118712832/photo/1

In 2014, director Mike Judge said fans often contacted him to comment on the apparent accuracy of “Idiocracy.”

“People will email and post stuff on my Twitter that’s like, ‘Hey, you predicted it right!’ So that’s always nice. But it’s not always nice because you want the world to become a better place,” Judge told The Verge.

Comments

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's sad that it exists. Intellectualism is being constantly attacked for psuedoism and illogical thinking.
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    It's sad that it exists. Intellectualism is being constantly attacked for psuedoism and illogical thinking.

Too many people happy to be sheep in this world. Group think is the order of the day and has been preached for years.

Look at how people are attacked in public and the media if they disagree with the new thing. They don't even have to condemn it or just say you don't agree and you will be vilified.

? is crazy
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

Too many people happy to be sheep in this world. Group think is the order of the day and has been preached for years.

Look at how people are attacked in public and the media if they disagree with the new thing. They don't even have to condemn it or just say you don't agree and you will be vilified.

? is crazy

It is. If you cannot debate the facts and use logical reasoning and proper research and using a correct methodology then what you are saying is psuedo.

For example, homosexuality, from the logical and researcher mind we do see it in nature and have observed it, but what we understand is sometimes scent between male and female is skewed. We also, see it's sexual response to low male or female populations and etc. So basically there is something that we can visually see, but to make people accept a whole culture when they can calmly and logically disagree with it and viciously attack them is wrong. I don't have to accept skater culture, I recognized it exists, but I don't have to accept it. I can accept certain aspects of Voodun, but I'm not taking it all and I can logically tell you why.

Man doesn't have 5x the strength our ancestors had everything is going to power the high functions of the brain something people don't ? use. Smh.
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

? is crazy

It is. If you cannot debate the facts and use logical reasoning and proper research and using a correct methodology then what you are saying is psuedo.

For example, homosexuality, from the logical and researcher mind we do see it in nature and have observed it, but what we understand is sometimes scent between male and female is skewed. We also, see it's sexual response to low male or female populations and etc. So basically there is something that we can visually see, but to make people accept a whole culture when they can calmly and logically disagree with it and viciously attack them is wrong. I don't have to accept skater culture, I recognized it exists, but I don't have to accept it. I can accept certain aspects of Voodun, but I'm not taking it all and I can logically tell you why.

Man doesn't have 5x the strength our ancestors had everything is going to power the high functions of the brain something people don't ? use. Smh.

Too many people lazy as ? and don't want to stand on their own two feet anymore. Rather have believe in some dumb ? and hope it goes well and if it doesn't that have someone else to blame instead of themselves.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wanna know how they managed to get Scarface in the movie, LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLtQQbU_-jE
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    unfortunately, personal opinions now "trumps" informed opinions.

people are too much in their feels to admit when their argument is wrong and they deflect.

Its because the masses are dumb. Ive heard numerous BLACK people here and irl say they "respect" , literally respect Trump because 'hey, he honest, he tell it like it is', as if that is EVER a relevant metric for a ? president

The day u sworn in you learn a million secrets that the American public would ? themselves if they knew. And people glad he 'keep it real'
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    fortyacres wrote: »
    unfortunately, personal opinions now "trumps" informed opinions.

people are too much in their feels to admit when their argument is wrong and they deflect.

Its because the masses are dumb. Ive heard numerous BLACK people here and irl say they "respect" , literally respect Trump because 'hey, he honest, he tell it like it is', as if that is EVER a relevant metric for a ? president

The day u sworn in you learn a million secrets that the American public would ? themselves if they knew. And people glad he 'keep it real'

He'll keep the evils out of this nation and make it great and make ISIS disappear, and make us all wealthy. B)
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    if people are as dumb as you all wanna view them, then this is the ripe time to parlay their stupidity into some paper

intelligence is applied....lot of yall clown dj akademiks, but he transformed this drivel half yall consume nonstop daily into a money scheme, while the bulk of yall get nothing more out of it than a warped sense of reality and ? up social skills....whos the smart one in that equation
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    if people are as dumb as you all wanna view them, then this is the ripe time to parlay their stupidity into some paper

intelligence is applied....lot of yall clown dj akademiks, but he transformed this drivel half yall consume nonstop daily into a money scheme, while the bulk of yall get nothing more out of it than a warped sense of reality and ? up social skills....whos the smart one in that equation

Whatcha rambling about brotha?
  • I Self Lord & Master
    Options

utilize that intelligence. ...ull figure it out with that
  • Ajackson17
    Options

utilize that intelligence. ...ull figure it out with that

Let me untwist my leg on this one bruh

tumblr_nhlqb205xO1smxh7ao1_500.gif

Yes, it's intelligence to use deceit on people with less intellectual power than you, but that's where the ball is dropped on this. We don't desire deceipt and manipulation or for profit that only exists for us and not as a community as a whole. We want to raise the intelligence of people to better themselves and their environment. Intelligence must have wisdom, experience(whether yours or elders) and morality adding to it or otherwise you'll make a bigger mess out of something you didn't for see.

I mean who wants a world full of idiots? How does that better the human condition and us as a species, I think the detachment that we are all in this together is not sinking in.
  • I Self Lord & Master
    edited February 2016
    Options
    i wouldn't call what dj akademiks is doing deceit, but i hear what your saying

You cant sell people what they don't want to consume. with that said I don't feel how we sit around and call each other stupid why we're complacent with institutions of ignorance and stupidity rearing our children. ... it's like we're looking at a very simple math problem and getting frustrated that is not adding up differently....wheres the intelligence in that

this is a result, not a sudden independent eruption
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wanna know how they managed to get Scarface in the movie, LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLtQQbU_-jE

Mike Judge is a HUUUGE Scareface fan...
    https://vine.co/v/hB6IUjg1HiP

that upgrayedd ? was funny as hell tho, at the end of the movie they show him looking for rita.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Now that I think about it Mike Judge did Office Space which used Geto Boys music for a lot of classic scenes