Homegrown - Grow Your Own Food... And Everything Else

Options
NeighborhoodNomad.
NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
What's good IC?

We NEED to be growing our own food. And it turns out that Food is Medicine. This thread is dedicated to growth.

This is a Q/A for growing anything that can be grown (trees, fruits, vegetables, herbs). Beginner - Expert

This is also a place to discuss growing techniques in agriculture, permaculture, horticulture, hydroponics, indoor growing, etc. Beginner - Expert

This will reduce our grocery bills and give us free access to the natural medicine a natural being requires for true health, among other things.

This is something we need to be taking FULL advantage of, and if you are, congratulations, share your advise/experiences with the IC.

We MUST learn and utilize our natural resources.

Ready, Set, Grow!

seed_to_plant_growth.jpg

Post pics of your progress.

Comments

• Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I support this powerful thread.

• Arya Tsaddiq
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have a 45x20 ft raised garden bed in my back yard.

I have my grandfathers old gas tiller. That thing has to be at least 45 yrs old and still fires up with no problems.

The plot is in a place say from trees and gets a lot of sunlight throughout the day, which is good.

I'll actually be preparing the soil here in another month or so.

I think I'm going to plant some tomatoes, onion, horse radish, collard greens, kale, okra, and some hot peppers of some kind.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Goated... this and the the diy thread is the most grown and sexy threads I've seen in a while. I'm a 3rd generation grower and I got tons of years of experience in this. Stop by http://www.seedsavers.org/catalog and get you some good non-gmo ? that's actually worth planting. The gmo seeds from monsonato and the likes are sterile or they produce ? that's not meant for human consumption. Here's a pep talk..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6VBV00ZREc
    there's alot going on in this video.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    I grow my own herbs

I also have a salsa garden
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options

I have my grandfathers old gas tiller. That thing has to be at least 45 yrs old and still fires up with no problems.

The plot is in a place say from trees and gets a lot of sunlight throughout the day, which is good.

I think I'm going to plant some tomatoes, onion, horse radish, collard greens, kale, okra, and some hot peppers of some kind.

That's what I'm talkin bout.

How are you "preparing" the soil?

Post pics of the progress.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    Apartment post.

3ea251f72ffd19f3780c157c74954beecc88eb8.gif

Don't trip. Photosynthesis doesn't care about any of that. Plus there are indoor techniques that are just waiting for us to take full advantage of.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
    MsSouthern wrote: »
    I grow my own herbs

What kind of herbs?

Do you make tinctures?
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
    Goated... this and the the diy thread is the most grown and sexy threads I've seen in a while. I'm a 3rd generation grower and I got tons of years of experience in this. Stop by http://www.seedsavers.org/catalog and get you some good non-gmo ? that's actually worth planting. The gmo seeds from monsonato and the likes are sterile or they produce ? that's not meant for human consumption. Here's a pep talk..

Thank you for the jewel. I'm probably gonna be asking you hella questions now.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
    Does anyone have any good NATURAL and effective weeding techniques? The ground is still somewhat soft so it comes up fairly easy, but it's a lot of weeds, like shin deep.

I'm looking for effective weed uproot and prevention techniques.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options

That's what I'm talkin bout.

How are you "preparing" the soil?

Post pics of the progress.

Got you.

And basically using the tiller to chop up all the old play material that's still in the garden bed. Then ill get a few bags of fertilizer to mix In to get the rows ready for planting. I'm still a beginner really. I helped my grandfather and pops as a kid but this is only the second year I've done it on my own in my yard.

I'll be sure to take pictures though.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    Does anyone have any good NATURAL and effective weeding techniques? The ground is still somewhat soft so it comes up fairly easy, but it's a lot of weeds, like shin deep.

That was a problem last year. Lol. I'd love a good answer for this. I was going in a pulling them out whenever I saw them.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options

That was a problem last year. Lol. I'd love a good answer for this. I was going in a pulling them out whenever I saw them.

I wonder what gives weeds their resilience. Why doesn't everything grow like weeds lol
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    where the diy thread?
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No killing your own food? Deer heart is Goat
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i thought about doing this a while back, but had no idea where to start

i thought about building my own raised beds but couldnt decide on what exactly i wanted to plant
  • MsSouthern
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I grow my own herbs

What kind of herbs?

Do you make tinctures?

Rosemary
    Mint
    Thyme
    Lavender
    Basil
    Sage

My salsa garden has

Tomatoes
    Garlic
    Yellow Onions
    Cilantro
    Jalapeños

I don't make tinctures. I do harvest the herbs and freeze them with a little olive oil to use when I cook

• NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »
    i thought about doing this a while back, but had no idea where to start

i thought about building my own raised beds but couldnt decide on what exactly i wanted to plant

Well now is the time.

What are the fruits/vegetables you regularly eat? Plant those. Just consider the season and weather conditions. Nature takes care of the rest.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
    I grow my own herbs

What kind of herbs?

Do you make tinctures?

Rosemary
    Mint
    Thyme
    Lavender
    Basil
    Sage

My salsa garden has

Tomatoes
    Garlic
    Yellow Onions
    Cilantro
    Jalapeños

I don't make tinctures. I do harvest the herbs and freeze them with a little olive oil to use when I cook

That olive oil combo sounds bomb. Does the infusion make the oil molded after a while?
  • MsSouthern
    Options
    I grow my own herbs

What kind of herbs?

Do you make tinctures?

Rosemary
    Mint
    Thyme
    Lavender
    Basil
    Sage

My salsa garden has

Tomatoes
    Garlic
    Yellow Onions
    Cilantro
    Jalapeños

That olive oil combo sounds bomb. Does the infusion make the oil molded after a while?

Molded as in shape or molded as in old ?

I freeze them in ice trays
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
    I grow my own herbs

What kind of herbs?

Do you make tinctures?

Rosemary
    Mint
    Thyme
    Lavender
    Basil
    Sage

My salsa garden has

Tomatoes
    Garlic
    Yellow Onions
    Cilantro
    Jalapeños

Molded as in shape or molded as in old ?

I freeze them in ice trays

Molded like old/spoiled. But you said you put them in the freezer so it's all good.

I was asking because when I was experimenting/making medicated oils, the herbs that settled at the bottom started to mold if I left it out at room temp for a couple months.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options

I finally got a chance to watch the whole video. This is EXACTLY what I'm doing in the neighborhood. People have been telling me about this man and his work. Wow. Thank you.

I'll post pics soon...
  • joshrock
    joshrock Members Posts: 239 ✭✭
    Options

Dope thread. A lot of herbs in particular grow like weeds and take minimal, if none at all maintenance. I got a Rosemary bush that been growin in my yard for years and I don't even do nothin to it besides let it go naturally and just clip some when I need it.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
    Weeds for days...

29elilt.jpg

b9agpc.jpg

2yziqo8.jpg

Progress pics next...