Samsung in talks to buy tidal

Options
StoneColdMikey
StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
edited February 2016 in The Reason

Grand opening, grand closing? According to the New York Post, Samsung is reportedly in talks to purchase Jay Z's music streaming service, Tidal. The rapper acquired the company for $56 million in 2015 and in March of last year brought on over a dozen performers as artist owners, including Kanye West, Beyoncé, Rihanna, and Nicki Minaj.

Back in September, Tidal hit the million subscriber mark. More recently, the company received a major boost in subscriptions thanks to an exclusive release of Kanye's new album, The Life of Pablo. Tidal is reportedly valued at $100 million, and while the company has seen its share of success over the last year, it's still well behind Spotify, which boasts over 25 million subscribers.

"Samsung is re-engaging; they are working on something really big, and they’re keeping it very quiet in case it leaks," a source told the New York Post. Jay Z has a past history with the South Korean electronics company. In 2013, he released Magna Carta Holy Grail and partnered on an exclusive app with Samsung that included one million free downloads of the album. Rihanna, who is signed to Jay Z's Roc Nation and is an artist owner of Tidal, also had a similar deal in place for her latest album, ANTI.

Samsung isn't the only company in play to reportedly buy Tidal. Spotify and Google are also very much interested, according to sources. We reached out to Tidal for comment and will update when available.

Comments

• DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    but but I thought this was about standing up for the artist....selling it back to a big corporation, LOL gotta love Jay...he know how to get over!!!

salute that man!!!
  • nohiphop1
    nohiphop1 Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If he a good business man he should not sells it now

It can grow even more then sell it for so much more. He desperate

Spotify just wanna buy it to close it down
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Why would he sell it? That would be so dumb and you know Samsung is going to take it and make it just like every other service. I thought the hook was that Tidal is NOT LIKE THE OTHER STREAMING SERVICES. Oh well
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He needs to grow it, alot more, if he sells it now he really doesnt believe in his plan for growth. Cuz Tidal has the potential to be a billion dollar payout one day. I dont think 50 mil or so profit is enough to satisfy hov at this point in his career.

• GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ooooooooooooooh they not gonna like this lmaooooooooo....... @Sion after Jay flip this for 5x what he paid for it you gotta bring the Tidal thread back so we can just start going back and handing out L's one by one.... And yes I'm saying 5x becuz he not finna just sell this off for 100 mill he at least gonna want 250-300 for it he seen what Dre did with Beats
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If he sells it for 100 that's a smooth come up and I gotta give props
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yeezy In The Cut Like

ZTM4S9I.gif

"Made Possible By The Life Of Pablo Jay Gonna Cut Me Off A Big Ol Piece Of This" nh
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I bet there's some type of deal on the table and not a straight sale. Jay be cooking up some next level deals
  • GetoBoy
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Spotify I doubt has the paper I don't think they'll do it, they're just throwing their hats in tho. If Hov was going to sell and stay on as an insider, Google IMO would be the best fit for the growth process, it's incredibly advantageous. Buuut Samsung is the best fit, it makes sense for them to buy it and they could use it more than Google and everyone else.

I wonder if Jay really will do it tho, I feel that if I were in his shoes I MIGHT sell them a stake and use their resources to build it up but not sure if I'd sell the whole ship :+1: .

That's exactly what I'm thinking he gonna go the Dre with beats route....sell for a couple hundred mill but still stay on the Tidal team have Samsung do what Apple did and put Tidal on every Samsung device which alone will grow the brand since Samsung ships more phones world wide than anybody then if he choose's sell off that stake he still has at their highest point.....? wasn't tryna hear me it's chess not checkers
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA @Monizzle14 you ? ass ? LOOOOOLLLOOLOLOLOOOLLLLLLL

And to think a year ago ? was saying Hov was a failure and gonna have to close shop.... Wonder what hating ass ? have to say now.....

Well good for the ? for making a profit if he sells it. However Geto boy and other cats been talking about how they are supporting a black owned business now hes selling it to samsung? ? can't have it both ways. Salute to jay if he makes a profit but the service is still lame. Spotify and Apple Music >>>>.
  • soulfulcat
    soulfulcat Members Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Was reading another article that the company is barely making enough money to pay it's royalties. Jay-z has been having to pull money out his own pocket to pay
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    soulfulcat wrote: »
    Was reading another article that the company is barely making enough money to pay it's royalties. Jay-z has been having to pull money out his own pocket to pay

Link?
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »

And to think a year ago ? was saying Hov was a failure and gonna have to close shop.... Wonder what hating ass ? have to say now.....

Well good for the ? for making a profit if he sells it. However Geto boy and other cats been talking about how they are supporting a black owned business now hes selling it to samsung? ? can't have it both ways. Salute to jay if he makes a profit but the service is still lame. Spotify and Apple Music >>>>.

When the deal is official... just so you know.... I'm still gon have GetoBoy and others pick your avi and s/n for a month....

Pleasure doing business with you Monizzle !!!! Bwhahahahahhahahahhaha !!!!!!!!

Wait... No caping, but wouldn't this 3rd party deal make the bet null and void.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    imagine him doing a roc nation\tidal tour with all them artist and bey....

a world tour
  • GetoBoy
    Options

Wrong I pointed out ppl weren't ? with it becuz of who was running it but I just ran through the Tidal thread and you better check again my stance has always been I ? with it becuz of the extra content it brings never about who was running it and will continue to if all things stay the same
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mooonizzzzzlllllllleeeeeee!
  • soulfulcat
    soulfulcat Members Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    chiyosuke wrote: »

Link?

Link?

http://nypost.com/2016/02/25/samsung-restarting-tidal-acquisition-talks/
  • GetoBoy
    Options

When the deal is official... just so you know.... I'm still gon have GetoBoy and others pick your avi and s/n for a month....

Pleasure doing business with you Monizzle !!!! Bwhahahahahhahahahhaha !!!!!!!!

Wait... No caping, but wouldn't this 3rd party deal make the bet null and void.

Hell naw....all that is something he should of thought of on his own b4 he was so confident Tidal couldn't be ?