Smart or Selling Out?

Options
_Goldie_
_Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
edited February 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
I just read Tidal was in talks of selling the company to Samsung. Which made me think of other black owned /partially owned company's that were sold to big/white owned corporations like Beats By Dre, BET, Def Jam, etc.

Do you think that's just part of business to buy/start low and sell high or are you "selling out" and doing more harm than good in the long run?

Smart or Selling Out? 36 votes

Smart
66%
Dupacblakfyahkingwhatevathehelloptimisticbigduece69fortyacresbkkbullydamobb2deeplamontbdcKoltraincaddo mangdatruth2.0Young_Chitlinnumbaz...80's babypennyda1Valentinez A. KaiserTrillfateonetoughmiracleluke1733LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY 24 votes
Selling Out
33%
vitoriajonoBelovedAfenikzzlLPastPiffyHazeMrSoutCitycannonspike1994KingFreemannot_osirus_jenkinsalliknowishatethe dukester 12 votes

Comments

• Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smart
    it truly depends on what your goal was from the jump imo..

i men most people go into business for the money, so as the old saying goes...

"know when to hold them know when to fold them"

ESPECIALLY if they're strong business minded to begin with.....because now they have a lot more money to start another business with....

as long as they stay busy, keep building....and leave something to pass down to the next generation, i see no issues with taking a buy out
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smart
    companies are sold everyday. Just for the person that started it to get financed to start another one. Then turn around and sell that one.

Can that business grow anymore - Yes or No.
    If it cant Sell
    If it can, Do you have the finances to grow - YEs or No.
    If No, Sell
    If yes find investors or sell at growth level.
  • _Goldie_
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »
    MARIO_DRO wrote: »
    WELL...

U DO GO INTO BUSINESS TO MAKE AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE....

BUT I GUESS BLACKS SHOULD HAVE SOME SENSE OF OWNERSHIP AND STOP WORRYING ABOUT A QUICK DOLLAR...

Welp, that pretty much concludes this. Close thread

lol that didnt answer anything. That made points for both sides. Which one is right tho?
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's not that black or white. Few things are. Also, those things aren't mutually exclusive. Definitely could be both.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smart
    Black owned on a corporate level is subjective at best. Jimmy Iovine own part of Beats Electronics so is it a "Black owned company.

Was Smart water a black owned company because 50cent invested in it?

Small businesses you can have that mindset but on a corporate level board members and investors are who you are making rich. They are usually different colors.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    WELL...

BUT I GUESS BLACKS SHOULD HAVE SOME SENSE OF OWNERSHIP AND STOP WORRYING ABOUT A QUICK DOLLAR...

lol that didnt answer anything. That made points for both sides. Which one is right tho?

It's subjective. Welcome to the 7th chakra.
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    WELL...

ITS EITHER OR...

LIKE DU SAID.. WHATS YOUR PLAN?.. U WANNA MAKE MONEY OR U JUST WANNA BE A PROUD BLACK OWNER.. NO CHOICE IS WRONG
  • _Goldie_
    Options
    So nobody thinks it was a bad move to sell BET?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    WELL...

what may seem like a quick dollar maybe be a profitable pill for a migraine.

we dont know whats goi9ng on behind the scenes
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Samsung is actually a Korean based company.

As far as the investment in selling the company it's smart especially if it's struggling as much as advertised.

I don't know many people who will stay true to something costing them money when they can sell it either at a profit or break even.

When you're in a business generally your loyalty is to the dollar; don't let Beyoncé and Jay occasionally doing pro Black ? make you think otherwise I'm not saying they don't care for the cause but they care for their money more.
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    He shouldn't sell it. I thought it was about supporting a black business.... Anyway, I don't really give a damn. I'm still ? i can't find some of jigga songs on youtube... Jigga is suckering his fans with that tidal exclusive. I'm not paying for ? but i did invest in Tidal. So my money gonna be looking real good.
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smart
    All the artists that invested into title that have owner ship will now get a good flip on their money.. Also this works for Samsung because now they will have a competitor for Apple Music.. This makes perfect sense on all fronts..
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay always does that.

Pretty much his M.O.

Probably a smart move on his part, because he usually sells companies right before they're about to tank.

Just look what happened after he sold Rocawear.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smart, didn't seem to be doing too well. Hopefully they do it again - but better.
  • The Iconoclast
    The Iconoclast Members Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think the answer is circumstantial.

The internal struggle of individualism vs. collectivism isn't just the plight of every black american - it's an american problem and it's a microcosm of how our capitalist society struggles with balancing it's fundamental strengths vs. weaknesses.
    Moreover, the daily internal struggle of deciding between being a collectivist vs individualist impacts us (blacks) as a collective more than others, because other social groups are afforded a wide margin of error and are permitted to be more selfish - without it negatively impacting their communities.

So obviously our communities would be better off by adhering to a more collectivist mindset but that's easier said than done. Especially when circumstance & opportunity is taken into account; it's irrational to expect one to completely subscribe to a collectivist mindset when making business decisions.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    WELL...

what may seem like a quick dollar maybe be a profitable pill for a migraine.

we dont know whats goi9ng on behind the scenes

True.

Bloomberg News did a segment a few weeks ago about how all of these streaming companies'.....Spotify, Pandora, etc.......stock value has plummeted over the past year or so.

Jay's probably starting to realize that it's not as big of a business opportunity as he originally thought.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smart
    So nobody thinks it was a bad move to sell BET?

I dont... at the end of the day because you sell your company don't mean you are "less black" fubu got sold and guess what dude still black...

people have to seperate racism and classism...

the same ? who would bytch about selling bet... don't know how close bill Cosby was to buying nbc... a WAY bigger company...

or don't understand that the rights to the Beatles is owned by Michael Jackson's estate now..

it's all about money and making smart business moves..
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smart
    deadeye wrote: »
    Jay always does that.

Pretty much his M.O.

Probably a smart move on his part, because he usually sells companies right before they're about to tank.

Just look what happened after he sold Rocawear.
    and his share of the nets...
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options