The Dark Tower Film - January 2017

Options
TheNightKing
TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/01/entertainment/king-dark-tower-mcconaughey-elba-thr-feat/index.html
(CNN)After years of speculation and false starts, author Stephen King has signaled that the big screen adaptation of his fantasy series "The Dark Tower" had finally found its leading men.

His reveal came in a familiar form for fans of the series, which launched with 1982's "The Dark Tower"; the tweet quoted the first line of that first book, referencing the novel's antagonist Randall Flagg (the man in black) and hero, Roland Deschain, the gunslinger in question.

Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey then responded to King's tweet, confirming their roles in the process.

Both Elba and McConaughey have been mentioned for the project for some months. The film will be directed by Nikolaj Arcel and produced by Akiva Goldsman, Ron Howard, Brian Grazer and Erica Huggins.

Sony picked up the project following original studio Universal pulling out in 2011.

The Dark Tower is scheduled for release in January 2017.

Comments

• dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They've been trying to get this off the ground for years. Good to see production's finally taking shape.
  • lordstanley
    lordstanley Members Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They better not ? this up. Those books helped me through a year in county they hold a special place in my heart
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    They better not ? this up.

Quoted for emphasis. They can do whatever they want with the first book caise it was prettt lame. But if they ? up Wizards and Glass man....

Also does this mean McCoughnaughey will also play Randall Flagg in The Stand or is that over at a different studio?
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Do I need to read these books?
  • Broddie
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Only if you enjoy Stephen King's writing or his fictional universe where all his novels and short stories take place. Otherwise just wait for the movies I guess.
  • TheNightKing
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

Quoted for emphasis. They can do whatever they want with the first book caise it was prettt lame. But if they ? up Wizards and Glass man....

Also does this mean McCoughnaughey will also play Randall Flagg in The Stand or is that over at a different studio?

I hadn't read the books but apparently Randall is in a few King novels, either as a major character or smaller character. I would hope Matthew would reprise the role in any movie with the character in it. King could have his own movie universe, albeit a small one. King should have made IT a variation of Randall to tie even more together.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • lordstanley
    Options
    You'll be a better person with a more fulfilled life if u do
  • lordstanley
    Options

I wonder who's gonna play young roland
  • Broddie
    Options

I wonder who's gonna play young roland

I hope it's not Jaden Smith.
  • Broddie
    edited March 2016
    Options
    charles2 wrote: »

I hadn't read the books but apparently Randall is in a few King novels, either as a major character or smaller character. I would hope Matthew would reprise the role in any movie with the character in it. King could have his own movie universe, albeit a small one. King should have made IT a variation of Randall to tie even more together.

I've read everything with Flagg in it including the entire Dark Tower saga. He is ? phenomenal. King even considers him his greatest villain and rightfully so.

I remember reading that Matthew was wanted for the role in The Stand adaptatiom years ago. I had forgetten which studio had that set up and just brushed up on that again, it was WB (who also has IT movie rights). Here we are like 5 years later and Sony has now cast Matt in the role for DT. It's like when Cavill was cast in a previous Superman project for McG. Some people are just meant for certain roles.

It would be so dope if Sony and WB made an arrangement and shared him across both projects. With the popularity of shared universes in hollywood today you never know. We may finally get these King adaptations linked up across studios the way they were meant to be. That would be too damn awesome.

I wonder who's gonna play Stephen King towards the end of Dark Tower (yes he's a character in his own epic). King himself? Or will he have his younger clone (son my ass!) Joe Hill do it?
  • KingFreeman
    Options

How many books we talking?
    Lol ? I still ain't buss the plastic on the set of game of thrones books I got Christmas '14. Nvm.
  • Broddie
    edited March 2016
    Options

How many books we talking?
    Lol ? I still ain't buss the plastic on the set of game of thrones books I got Christmas '14. Nvm.

7 books but it's ok to start from book 3 all the way to the end if you'd like. Those are the most relevant chapters in the saga by far.

I remember Marvel was adapting them in comic book format but I don't know if they ever finished the entire story.
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    Damn. Gonna check if they got audio books a lazy ? can hold.
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options

yoooo stop trippin The Gunslinger is dope. The part in the saloon where the ? tells Roland about the afterlife when he died and Walter brought him back.. the epic shoot-out in Tull that follows. The first meeting with Jake and the scene with the demon at the way station. The encounter with the succubus demon that follows.. the chase under the mountain from the Slow Mutants. and then of course the palaver at the end with Walter. ? is full of classic scenes.
  • Broddie
    Options

yoooo stop trippin The Gunslinger is dope. The part in the saloon where the ? tells Roland about the afterlife when he died and Walter brought him back.. the epic shoot-out in Tull that follows. The first meeting with Jake and the scene with the demon at the way station. The encounter with the succubus demon that follows.. the chase under the mountain from the Slow Mutants. and then of course the palaver at the end with Walter. ? is full of classic scenes.

That book becomes better in retrospect when you read the others but it's easily the weakest chapter.
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    always felt that Song of Susannah and The Drawing of the Three are weaker.. not to mention The Wind Through the Keyhole. its on par with The Wastelands
  • Broddie
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The Wastelands is easily when it really starts to cook but Song of Susannah is a very important book character wise even if it's sloppily written. The tonal shift was very awkward and ill paced but it really helps inform expectations from every subsequent book in some way. It really shows you how b unusual this whole story is. The general store shootout from it would also look great on film.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They better not ? this up, especially Wizard and Glass. I promise if they ? up Wizard and Glass I will find the director and rip his ? eyeballs out.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds interesting
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My roommate was buying these comic books when they were released. They were a pretty cool read, im excited for the movie. The 2 stars so far are dope. Glad they got Elba for the main.
  • TheNightKing
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Don't know how to post tweets on mobile, but after Stephen tweeted that Idris and Matthew were starring, Idris tweeted Matthew that he had one new follower. Matthew replied come and get me, looking forward to it.
  • lordstanley
    Options
    There's potential for so many classic scenes from these books...when roland fights his teacher to graduate from gunslinger training, the shootout with the mobsters, the battle against the wolves, ? blaine the monorail..just off the top of my head. This ? should be craaaaazy
  • Broddie
    Options
    You think they'll use The Wind Through the Keyhole? I could see elements of it being brought to a Wizards and Glass adaptation.