John Legend's Underground

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Trailers and Premiere Date Released for John Legend-Produced Series Underground

http://www.theroot.com/blogs/the_grapevine/2015/12/watch_trailers_released_for_john_legend_produced_mini_series_underground.html

The 10-episode series, described as an escape thriller, follows a group of men and women as they escape from slavery. BY: YESHA CALLAHAN
Posted: Dec. 14 2015

undg_10520150624sb_0215_r3_noah_aldis_hodge_and_rosalee_jurnee_smollettbell_crossing_the_swamp.jpg.CROP.rtstoryvar-large.jpg
ldis Hodge as Noah and Jurnee Smollett-Bell as Rosalee in WGN America’s Underground

On Wednesday, WGN America announced the premiere date for its upcoming series Underground and released trailers for the thriller.
The 10-episode series follows the lives of a group of men and women as they escape from slavery. It is executive-produced by John Legend and his Get Lifted partners Mike Jackson and Ty Stiklorius.

Underground’s cast includes such names as Jurnee Smollett-Bell (True Blood), Aldis Hodge (Straight Outta Compton), Jussie Smollett (Empire), Christopher Meloni (Sin City: A Dame to ? For), Alano Miller (Jane the ? ), ‎Jessica de Gouw (Arrow), Marc Blucas (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), ‎Adina Porter (The 100), Mykelti Williamson (Justified), ‎Amirah Vann (Girls), Johnny Ray Gill (Rectify), Chris Chalk (Gotham), Reed Diamond (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.), Theodus Crane (The Walking Dead) and Renwick Scott (Treme).

Hodge’s character, Noah, is a blacksmith who organizes his fellow slaves on a Georgia plantation to devise an escape plan. The series follows the dangers they encounter along the way.

The two trailers released are from two distinct perspectives. “The Plan” is told from Noah’s viewpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8lYFUb9SbE
WGN America's Underground "The Plan"

“Wanted” is told from the perspective of the slave owner, played by Diamond.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmflVRzYnL0
WGN America's Underground "Wanted"

Underground premieres March 9 on WGN.

I don't know about this. One the one hand, it's tiring to always see us portrayed as slaves, (especially since our history encompasses so much more than slavery. However, I see this as another opportunity to get these racist white supremacists, (and they're supporters,) all up in their feels, and Rex strongly supports anything that makes white supremacists uncomfortable and forces them deal with the savage and brutality their slave owning ancestors engaged in to build this country, in addition to sexually depraved debauchery they regularly engaged in. Hopefully, this show is unforgiving and unflinching, and raw to it's core in it's depiction of slavery. I also hope that time period is around the start of the Civil War. This will give the opportunity to dispel the propaganda being put forth by Neo Confederates that their white supremacist, racist, and treasonous slave owning ancestors where not only unwilling to give up their property, but they were also to prepared to start an insurrection to retain their property.

Comments

• Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Comes on tonight.
  • gdatruth2.0
    gdatruth2.0 Members Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not sure if it’s the subject matter or the fact the show is on WGN but its getting little to no buzz.
    I watched the 1st episode and although tough to get through because of the harsh realities of the subject matter, I think it effectively established the premise and stakes of the 1st season. Basically it Roots meets Prison Break with unlikely alliances, close calls and attempting to escape an unescapeable location. I’m all in.

Also good to see so many black actors employed. A lot of familiar faces but unfortunately to get so many black actors employed 9 times outta 10 the subject matter gonna be slavery.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll watch it on demand later