Royce da 5'9 talk about how he regrets turning down dr. dre.

Options
r.prince18
r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
Royce-Dr-Dre.jpg

Royce Da 5’9″ is currently prepping for the release of his new solo album Layers. With the LP scheduled to drop next month, Royce is out on the interview circuit promoting the project. But during a conversation with Complex, the Detroit rapper went through some of his history in the rap game. When asked about his biggest regret, Royce Da 5’9″ revealed that he once turned down a deal with Dr. Dre that included unlimited beats from the legendary producer.

“I made a decision to sign with Tommy Boy instead of Dr. Dre back in the day,” Royce said. “Sometimes I don’t really regret it because by saying that, I’m basically saying that I regret where I’m at today which couldn’t be further from the truth. But sometimes I wonder what woulda happened had I done that. What kind of music would I have been able to make? Because he was offering me a $250,000 budget and unlimited Dre beats. And Tommy Boy was just offering me a million dollars. And for whatever reason, at 20 years old, the million dollars sounded like a much more valuable deal when in actuality, it wasn’t at all.”

Outside of the revelation that Royce Da 5’9″ turned down a deal with Dr. Dre for Tommy Boy, the Slaughterhouse member spoke in detail about his sobriety. Royce said that getting sober was the best decision he ever made. He also describes how Eminem, who went through a similar experience, has been an invaluable source of support since Royce first got sober in 2012.

The new Royce Da 5’9″ album Layers will be released on April 15

Read More: Royce Da 5'9" Refused to Sign With Dr. Dre - XXL | http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2016/03/royce-da-59-unlimited-beats-dr-dre/?trackback=tsmclip

If i can recall weren't dre and em gonna do with him what they did with fifty?

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's bad decisions and then theres stupid as ? decisions. This is the latter and I don't even like Dre like that
  • stackmaster 313
    stackmaster 313 Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He didn't miss out on much imo .shrug.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He also could of got put on the back burners as well and now would be an after thought....putting out material, even if not to his full potential could be credited to where he is now
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i didnt read but part of reason Royce didnt sign.. Dre wanted him to get rid of his manager
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He probably did the right thing, aside from Em, Dre, and 50 and Game most Aftermath artists went nowhere until Kendrick signed with them(Joell Ortiz for example), not like they didnt have the talent, but it probably was Jimmy or someone ar Interscope thinkin they couldnt capitalize on them.
    There's like 2 songs with Royce on Dre beats, the one wich was over the Xplosive beat (wich is corny ass ? for that hook), and The Throne Is Mine (wich is good but there's no real good quality of it), so who knows how it could've gone. I think Royce's collabs with Preemo is what people like the most about him tho.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gat damn

but as young ? u see 1 million dollars u gon jump at that
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    I'm more shocked they don't have many songs together as of now.
  • J-sonDkay
    J-sonDkay Members Posts: 99 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Crooked I should tell dude he made the right call
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From what I can tell Dre normally does right by his artists

He gives them 1 classic then they gotta do the rest of the work themselves from what I've seen

And a 20 year old Royce was old enough to know how big Dre was/is. He should have been smart enough by then to go wit Dre
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    i didnt read but part of reason Royce didnt sign.. Dre wanted him to get rid of his manager

? like that is very telling.
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

? like that is very telling.

royce manager said in an interview with Vibe i think that Eminem and Royce write for dre and he does whatever they tell him to do and so on

very disrespectful
    that is why dre told him to get rid of him if he wanted to work with him, and royce said no cause he wanted to roll with his boy

• just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kino said something like Eminem made Dre sit down in the studio like a pupil while working and Dre got upset.
    there's a screencap of the interview in the Beef2 dvd
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Honestly, Dre probably would have had him on the back burner for quite some time and I think that may have played a factor in it. Also the manager rumors. Around then when Aftermath was getting started, all Dre did was push himself and Eminem. He had Rakim, Hittman, RBX, and a few others on the roster but they never released an album. Only other artist that got a push was Truth Hurts and her single was everywhere but I never heard from her since.

• L3NU
    L3NU Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    Honestly, Dre probably would have had him on the back burner for quite some time and I think that may have played a factor in it. Also the manager rumors. Around then when Aftermath was getting started, all Dre did was push himself and Eminem. He had Rakim, Hittman, RBX, and a few others on the roster but they never released an album. Only other artist that got a push was Truth Hurts and her single was everywhere but I never heard from her since.

This is true but I think Eminem would have made a push for royce and Dre would listen to Em
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Possible, maybe. He didnt push for royce's exposure too much outside of that one feature on his first album though. He pushed for D12 though. Most he did was bring Royce on the Anger Management Tours and have him as a hype man until their friendship ended. Maybe one day we will get a more in depth story.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought d-12 was a replacement for Royce
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    Possible, maybe. He didnt push for royce's exposure too much outside of that one feature on his first album though. He pushed for D12 though. Most he did was bring Royce on the Anger Management Tours and have him as a hype man until their friendship ended. Maybe one day we will get a more in depth story.

The story is out there, though scattered. I haven't kept up with it in a while. Em had more than one feature on his album and a BME EP before that. From what I understand, Em's schedule, label situations, and Royce's issues with D12 is what made it difficult for them to work together. The way I see it, everything had to come to a head before they could sit down and do a whole project. But yeah, Em and Royce had mad ? together before they initially split.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Proof from D-12 replaced Royce.

Here's how I understand it; Royce was Eminem's hype man on the Anger Management tour. They were supposed to complete the tour and when it was over Dr Dre was going to sponsor Royce's album. Not saying he would have produced the whole thing but he would have put his stamp of approval on it.

Royce didn't want to wait so he jumped on a deal with Tommy Boy in the middle of the Anger Management tour and left Eminem hanging. So Eminem got Proof from D-12 to replace Royce as his hype man.

When the tour was over Proof went in the lab and completed his album featuring collaborations with 50 Cent, Method Man, Nate Dogg, B-Real of Cypress Hill, T3 of Slum Village, Obie Trice, Eminem, and D12.

Basically Royce could have had the same features and production but he jumped ship.

Proof's album is pretty decent. I have it, the song with 50 Cent was tight and there was another song called Kurt Cobain that I liked.

If you ask me, Royce should have stuck with Eminem and made an album that would have been Executive Produced by Dr Dre.
  • PiffyHaze
    PiffyHaze Members Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    should of stayed wit dre.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

Proof from D-12 replaced Royce.

Here's how I understand it; Royce was Eminem's hype man on the Anger Management tour. They were supposed to complete the tour and when it was over Dr Dre was going to sponsor Royce's album. Not saying he would have produced the whole thing but he would have put his stamp of approval on it.

Royce didn't want to wait so he jumped on a deal with Tommy Boy in the middle of the Anger Management tour and left Eminem hanging. So Eminem got Proof from D-12 to replace Royce as his hype man.

When the tour was over Proof went in the lab and completed his album featuring collaborations with 50 Cent, Method Man, Nate Dogg, B-Real of Cypress Hill, T3 of Slum Village, Obie Trice, Eminem, and D12.

Basically Royce could have had the same features and production but he jumped ship.

Proof's album is pretty decent. I have it, the song with 50 Cent was tight and there was another song called Kurt Cobain that I liked.

If you ask me, Royce should have stuck with Eminem and made an album that would have been Executive Produced by Dr Dre.

How is this possible when Rock City dropped in 2002 and Proofs album didnt come out until 2005? Not saying you're wrong just lost between those albums cause I know Em and Royce were cool for the Rock City album.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PiffyHaze wrote: »
    should of stayed wit dre.

For what? Aftermath had a boat load of artist. And found success with only 3. G-Unit & Shady were temporary.
  • lordstanley
    lordstanley Members Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If royce wouldve signed with dre most likely he would've been barely heard from again, and he never would've blessed us with death is certain, streethop, the bar exam mixtapes and pRhyme. ? worked out for the best if u ask me