Xena Will Be Openly Lesbian In Reboot Series

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
Xena, Warrior Princess, is coming out of the closet.

Javier Grillo-Marxuach, the showrunner guiding the reboot of "Xena," has indicated he intends to make the main character openly lesbian. He wrote a blog post addressing the controversial fate of a lesbian character on the CW drama "The 100," on which he served as writer and co-executive producer:

"I am a very different person with a very different world view than my employer on The 100 – and my work on The 100 was to use my skills to bring that vision to life. Xena will be a very different show made for very different reasons. There is no reason to bring back Xena if it is not there for the purpose of fully exploring a relationship that could only be shown subtextually in first-run syndication in the 1990s."

That relationship was between Xena and her sidekick, Gabrielle. Fans believed the two had romantic feelings for each other, but it was never really expressed in the syndicated series. Even Lucy Lawless thought her character was ? .

"There was always a 'Well, she might be or she might not be' but when there was that drip of water passing between their lips in the very final scene, that cemented it for me," she told Lesbian News in 2003. "Now it wasn't just that Xena was bisexual and kinda liked her gal pal and they kind of fooled around sometimes, it was 'Nope, they're married, man.'"

The "Xena" reboot is expected to air sometime later this year.

Comments

• black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Damn a reboot? Xena was classic.

Yeah her and Gabrielle definitely were fooling around. Lol
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well I hope they at least won't be butchy ?
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Too bad its on cw.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Figures. BTW, Xena is the epitome of a butchy ? .

• illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Figures. BTW, Xena is the epitome of a butchy ? .

True but I hope this time around they're hot. If it's on cw then probably
  • dogfromduckhunt
    dogfromduckhunt Members Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *shrug* Watched 90% of the show and thought she was bisexual. Not that it mattered. Before and after her face turn she was ? anybody she wanted. Think Gabriel was too before she went women only in the later season, but it's been years so I could be wrong. Feel like the Amazons stuck with women short of breeding and they might have kidnapped girls to keep there numbers up. Pretty sure Hercules even had a episode or two with a women only village. Guess its good for marketing to push it though.

That aside..was Gina Torres the only black Cleopatra ever on tv?
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? is sad how far they pushing the ? agenda. I'm all for people being themselves, but I don't have to see this ? every time I turn on a show. We get it. Yall here. Yall ? . Now do your thing and shut the ? up about it

Feel the same exact way.

I don't see then pushing this hard for black characters or actors
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? is sad how far they pushing the ? agenda. I'm all for people being themselves, but I don't have to see this ? every time I turn on a show. We get it. Yall here. Yall ? . Now do your thing and shut the ? up about it

Feel the same exact way.

I don't see then pushing this hard for black characters or actors

Black Panther and Creed and Barbershop: The Next Cut and Madea's Hallowe'en and Birth Of A Nation all say hello, so do Blackish and Empire and Scandal and How To Get Away With Murder, Octavio Spencer's got a major role in Allegiant... I'm not going to pretend Hollywood isn't racist but there is a lot more support now for real equality for all previously disadvantaged groups although it'll still probably be at least two generations before we see that really reflected in the Academy's demographics.

Still not good enough brotha
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah, but too be fair, if there was ever a show to push that ? , it would be Xena. I unquestioningly a heterosexual in the original series and we all still thought of her as a lesbian, so they might as well make her one for real.
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I always thought they didn't try to hide it in the first series. My mom would either hit me in the face with a pillow or send me out the room whenever there was bath scene or something with her and Gabriel.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Put this on starz and make it gory like Spartacus and full of lesbian sex scenes. It's the only way it'll be good.

Robert Tapert (Mr. Lucy Lawless) and Sam Raimi (Mr. Evil Dead) who produced the original also produced Spartacus and Ash Vs. Evil Dead for Starz. If they had retained Xena development rights this probably would've happened. What a shame.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What irritates me is that Xena and Gabrielle's ? thing got pumped up by Rosie O'Donnell and the ? rising at the time. The show started off with her banging dudes, Aries being butt-hurt because she quit taking the ? , and BOTH them chicks were taking ? and ended up pregnant--and that went on for YEARS--with some sexual undertones to basically sell sex to get viewers as ratings dipped.

Then the last season or two went full-on ? because I think Lawless was pregnant in real life. I remember the show going hard in the ? paint then.

• BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I don't have a problem with the LGBT ? . The problem is when it's a forced agenda just like the female agenda or the African American agenda. Why not recreate something new. What it does is make Hollywood even more fake than it is. Ppl are starting to open their eyes and the only ppl it's appeasing, is the fake over-the-top sensitive radical protesters who will never ever be pleased.

Blacks, ? , women and other minorities should just fit in naturally and not be considered stereotypes and I hate when they try to merge and create ? blacks, ? black women, ? Puerto Ricans to bundle it up in one or change ppl to be another race, sexuality or gender from the original content instead of just adding on something new.

We should not be having a female ghostbusters, why not just create a team of new ones mixed with men, women and a ? character and call it a sequel handed down. This force feeding Hollywood ? is wack.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KNiGHTS wrote: »
    What irritates me is that Xena and Gabrielle's ? thing got pumped up by Rosie O'Donnell and the ? rising at the time. The show started off with her banging dudes, Aries being butt-hurt because she quit taking the ? , and BOTH them chicks were taking ? and ended up pregnant--and that went on for YEARS--with some sexual undertones to basically sell sex to get viewers as ratings dipped.

Then the last season or two went full-on ? because I think Lawless was pregnant in real life. I remember the show going hard in the ? paint then.

Yeah, people seem to forget that for most of her life, Xena was Ares' play thing and she had a short thing with Hercules right. Also, Gabrielle had a boyfriend. So they weren't really pushing any kind of ? agenda for most of the show.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Both were bisexual in show it wasnt hidden and it had huge lesbian/? fanbase.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never thought Gabby was a ? but Xena gave off the switch hitter vibe but not full on ? . Won't be watching.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Whenever ? ppl are included in something it's not always an "agenda," guys...especially not here where most ppl believed xena was ?
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PLEASE PUT THIS ON START NO @SION
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Put this on starz and make it gory like Spartacus and full of lesbian sex scenes. It's the only way it'll be good.

Lets Not Talk About Spartacus That Series Finale Had Me Like

tumblr_inline_n6xirjzv5X1qirn6x.gif

My Wife "Was Like WTF Is Wrong With You"?