Barry Bonds HR record

Options
Tommy Billfiger
Tommy Billfiger Banned Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭
edited July 2010 in From the Cheap Seats

I saw scoop jackson(who is a idiot to me) say arod has no chance of catchin bonds

Arod has 599 currently all he has to do is average 20 Hr's for the next 6 years and he will pass bonds by 18,Arod is signed to 2017 and he just turned 35 yesterday

Wtf was dude talkin about

Comments

• Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    arod should murder that record. i never liked scoop jackson

pujols sitting at 389 though and he only 30, and has no links to PEDs. arod had 464 at 30
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I think hes buggin out with that, but the real question is...how important is the record now?!

A-rod looks like he is starting to break down though, thats for sure.
  • MillzOG
    edited July 2010
    Options
    What ya think about Ryan Howards chances of 1 day gettin close to the record?!...anybody know his age and his total HR?

from what I remember though, he's the guy that got to 200 HR's the quickest (or maybe it was 300, i dont remember)
  • Dick Shitman
    edited July 2010
    Options
    What ya think about Ryan Howards chances of 1 day gettin close to the record?!...anybody know his age and his total HR?

from what I remember though, he's the guy that got to 200 HR's the quickest (or maybe it was 300, i dont remember)

he's 30 and got 245
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I heard something that at 35 years old Bonds only had about 420 homers. That's insane if it's true
  • Tommy Billfiger
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Aiiight I did the math wrong 6 * 20 = 120 not 180

So he gotta average 30 hr's for the next 6 years not including any hr's he hits the remainder of this season

Ryan howard was like 26 when he debuted in the big leagues so he dont have a chance imo

Pujols dont hit the huge Hr numbers he's consistent but never hit 50.I think u gotta have at least 2-3 years wit 50+ to stand a chance

Arod basically has 6 full seasons after this one to catch bonds
  • MillzOG
    edited July 2010
    Options
    ? Shitman wrote: »
    he's 30 and got 245

damn I didnt know he was that old, I was thinking he was like 28

So he gotta average 30 hr's for the next 6 years not including any hr's he hits the remainder of this season

Ryan howard was like 26 when he debuted in the big leagues so he dont have a chance imo

Pujols dont hit the huge Hr numbers he's consistent but never hit 50.I think u gotta have at least 2-3 years wit 50+ to stand a chance

@ the bolded, yea its a wrap for Ryan Howard...I didnt know that.
    I dont think A-rod is gonna be able to hit 30 HR's a season for the next 6 years...he's barely gonna ? 30 this year (if at all), so unfortunately I'm gonna have to go with Scoop Jackson on the fact that A-rod wont get it.

But, as far as "not get close" hes buggin out...Arod will finish top 3-5
  • Darius
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Lol at that math
  • Tommy Billfiger
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Yea my math threw everything off so I doubt it now

? cant juice no more you wont be seein 35 year olds crackin 70 or 65 hr's like bonds,McGwire and sosa

Yea he no doubt gonna finish top 5 at the least
  • Darius
    edited July 2010
    Options
    If either bonds or arod holds the record, no one will really recognize it as being legit, and it will probably be notated somehow in Cooperstown that they used. So Arod doesn't gain much by breaking it or not breaking it
  • MillzOG
    edited July 2010
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    If either bonds or arod holds the record, no one will really recognize it as being legit, and it will probably be notated somehow in Cooperstown that they used. So Arod doesn't gain much by breaking it or not breaking it

Yea the record wont really mean as much anymore until a player that is widely considered to be "clean" breaks it...

Like if a ? like Jayson Heyward or somebody like that, from this newer generation of "clean" players breaks it someday, it will mean what it should.
  • Tommy Billfiger
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Yea but people hated bonds.

Arod gets hated too but not like bonds,the media,fans,teammates,his peers hated bonds it will be cats cheerin to see him get locked up or his record fall

Before arod got outed for juicin everybody was cheerin for him to break that record
  • MillzOG
    edited July 2010
    Options
    nah...Ryan Howard is old and a big guy...unless he stops playing defense that ? isn't happening...

@the record...? the record...#755

If A-Rod breaks it (which he should logically get like 800+) I could care less...he's a ? nobody to me now...he should have a plethora of home runs erased after that PED ? ...smmfh sickens me to think of it

I wish Griffey would have shattered it...and I hope Pujols does but he needs to pick up the pace

If thats the case, then what about Bonds, McGwire, Palmerio, etc

if it works like that for 1 player, then it should work like that for the rest of em.

cosign Griffey though, my 2nd favorite player ever...after Jeter
  • Dick Shitman
    edited July 2010
    Options

thats what i think helps him. he never hit 40 but he's guaranteed 40-45 every year. if he hit 40 for the next 5 years he's sitting at 589 at the age of 35.

if he breaks 756 with no ties to PED's, they'll say he has the "rightful" record or whatever
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I Think A-Rod Comes Super Close, But i dont think he'll Get it ...

Dude Is already Having Hip Issues in Back to Back seasons , the Only thing that Wil Def help him is when he gets around 37 and 38 he can strictly DH and will Be playing in a Park where the ball Flies Out , Where as Bonds had to play the field all the time to be in the lineup...

but i still dont think A-Rod will get it , it's so hard to stay Healthy when you get older and play a full season, Look at Manny Ramirez dude is always out of the Lineup now with soeme type of injury ..

Hard to really vision a guy 36,37,38,39,40 Average 30 HR's a year .....and stay fully healthy ...

Bonds was just fortunate .
  • Tommy Billfiger
    edited July 2010
    Options
    My thing wit pujols is he is more complete he hits for average,power and rbi's,He's 30 now he'll be 31 in january he gotta have at least 1-2 50-55 hr seasons to close that gap and as good as he is he never hit 50 once

I gotta see where pujols is at in 2 years to see if he has a chance he's the best hitter in baseball to me.He can ? you without hittin hr's

Pujols can get a triple crown before he ever hits 60 hr's to me
  • MillzOG
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Damn near broke my heart when Palmeiro came clean...

I think they should all meet the same fate to be honest...if you get busted for PEDs that's it, you are out of the record books (now this will be taken into account what was legal at the time too though, as more PEDs have been made illegal over the history of the game, if it was legal at the time but not now, you didn't really break any rules)...but if you didn't respect the game enough to play it purely...why should the game respect your numbers?

Also, testing positive for PEDs = no HOF in my opinion..it is a disgrace to allow a cheater to be viewed on the same level as some of the greats that have played it without the added assistance

McG, Palmeiro, Sammy, Bonds, Arod, Manny, etc. etc...None of them should be allowed in the Hall, period.

L @ having to make a separated HOF for the HGH era...and pitcher's stay winning now, homeruns turning into pop flies, no hitters out the ass

Baseball needs like 5 years of pure baseball where no big name people test positive for this ? before it can even claim to be America's pastime again.

Ok hi sorry iWentIn

see you cant just disallow people in the so-called "HGH/PED" era to not be in the HOF, because what about the people before them?! They JUST started testing for HGH recently, so imagine the lack of testing for steroids and other PED's they had back in the days of the Willie Mays' and guys in his era. Thats why I think those guys should all be in the HOF, but there plaques should acknowledge the fact that they tested positive for PED's...thats the only way to do it right IMO.

cosign the bolded 100%
  • MillzOG
    edited July 2010
    Options
    My thing wit pujols is he is more complete he hits for average,power and rbi's,He's 30 now he'll be 31 in january he gotta have at least 1-2 50-55 hr seasons to close that gap and as good as he is he never hit 50 once

I gotta see where pujols is at in 2 years to see if he has a chance he's the best hitter in baseball to me.He can ? you without hittin hr's

he had the DECADE triple crown for this past decade, thats insane.
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited July 2010
    Options

The Chances of Albert Pujols Really Being 30 Years Old..............Pretty Slim....
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Pujols has had 5 40+ Homerun Seasons , Hank Aaron Never Had a 50 Homerun Season (even tho' he no longer owns the record, just saying tho')

Honestly This Day and Age it's all about Health....

With Testing Increasing On Players i wouldnt be surprised If we dont see a 50 Homerun season anytime soon ....
  • Tommy Billfiger
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Pujols is the only baseball player when they come to the plate I'd rather intentionally walk

I wonder what his career stats are against the cubs cuz I swear to ? everytime they come to wrigley he hits at least 3 Hr's 1 game in every other series

His obp%'s arent sick like bonds but consistent 400's is good compared to the average

He's a hitter not a power hitter,mcGwire was just a power hitter and sucked at anything else thats the difference pujols career low average this year is 296.If 296 is your career low you out here killin

Edit hank aaron played like 20-25 years tho these cats wont
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Word my thing with Ryan Howard is he has 977 strike outs in 3081 at bats...you do the math

Dude is 30 and not even to 300 homeruns yet lol.....he has No Shot....he's more someone who will be concerned on getting to 500+
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    if miguel cabrera wasnt playing at comerica park, he could definitly break the record
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited July 2010
    Options
    detcatinva wrote: »
    if miguel cabrera wasnt playing at comerica park, he could definitly break the record

NO....like Billfiger said you gotta have at least 2 50+ Homerun seasons, Cabrera Career high is 37 ....he's just damn near in the 30's every year and he hasnt played his whole career in comerica
    , Cabrera is a Lot like Pujols...
    Hell Bonds played in one of the Hardest Parks to hit in ..
  • MillzOG
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Dude is 30 and not even to 300 homeruns yet lol.....he has No Shot....he's more someone who will be concerned on getting to 500+

Yea I mentioned Howard early in the thread just cause he was the fastest player to 200 Home Runs, I didnt know that he started his career at age 26 though.