Tidal Accused of inflating numbers for TLOP

Options
MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://djbooth.net/news/entry/2016-03-29-kanye-west-the-life-of-pablo-tidal-streaming

Over the last few months TIDAL has been the North Korea of streaming services. They've refused to release stats on their streaming numbers, refused to tell people if the album they paid for is every dropping, but today they dropped their veil of silence to declare that Kanye West's The Life of Pablo album drew in a record-shattering 250 million streams in the first ten days.

250 million in ten days! That's amazing, so amazing that number defies any rational, objective sense. Or to be more blunt, I just can't take those numbers at face value. They're the North Korean grocery store of streaming numbers.

All you need to do to raise some doubts is zoom out a little for some perspective.

Before these numbers were released, the streaming record belonged to Justin Bieber, whose recent Purpose album garnered 205 million global streams on Spotify.
Spotify has a base of 100 million active users (approximately 30 million of whom are paid subscribers). Let me be annoying and write that again in all caps. SPOTIFY HAS 100 MILLION ACTIVE USERS.
Before the release of TLOP, TIDAL had 1 million subscribers, which it claimed jumped up to 3 million after Kanye's release.

So you're trying to tell me that The Life of Pablo garnered approximately 50 million more streams than Justin Bieber's album on a service with literally 1/97th the number of users? It took two weeks for Adele to rack up 250 million views of "Hello" on YouTube, a free service anyone has access to, but Kanye did the same in less time on TIDAL?

This isn't about doubting Kanye or trying to downplay his accomplishments, it's about using some basic critical thinking skills and not just swallowing everything companies try to spoon feed us.

So far TIDAL's refused to release TLOP's numbers (and only TLOP's numbers, they've released stats on every other release) to a third party that can verify them like Billboard, and so if that happens I'll have the distinction of being publicly wrong forever. I'll gladly eat a heaping slice of humble pie. But in the meantime I just don't recognize the picture TIDAL's trying to paint as anything resembling real life, not when we get so many "? TIDAL" messages every day.

I'm not buying TIDAL, literally or figuratively.

By Nathan S, the managing editor of DJBooth and a hip-hop writer. His beard is awesome. This is his Twitter. Photo via Instagram.

Comments

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    For shame. ? scared to take L's.
  • tharealest561
    tharealest561 Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still haven't heard the album cause I ain't subscribing to Tidal to hear an album lol
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Maybe he 3 million doesn't include free trial members and the 250 million includes the free trial listeners
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Maybe he 3 million doesn't include free trial members and the 250 million includes the free trial listeners

Let's say tidal has 10 million total subscribers. Each free trial or paid user would have to stream that ? 25 times in that first 10 days. ? doesn't add up even with a flood of free trial ass ? .
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Stop it.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    Damn they dont believe us we need more people

@Monizzle14 tell you what you stop making Tidal threads and I'm signing your favorite hockey player to Roc Nation Sports tonight just name him

@PainInDaAss whats up with this ? you told me you was good with numbers.
    You're no longer head of the stats department clean out your office

@JCole yo we gotta distract from this ? I need another Tidal exclusive to drop now.
    Upload that documentary you made about your favorite high school teacher asap

I want rihanna in my bed tomorrow and a jcole unplugged show at my local hockey rink and we got a deal my ? .
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still haven't heard the album cause I ain't subscribing to Tidal to hear an album lol

Muthafucka you ain't heard of rapgodfathers??? That's where I do all my music shopping.
  • anduin
    anduin Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they must be counting all the bootleg copies
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I don't know if it's true or not but to find the truth you'd literally have to find out how many free trials only they had during that time and how many just free trials streamed it to get if it's true or not..... I was ready to battle but meh this one ain't worth it
  • mike_tech
    mike_tech Members Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The reality of this whole tidal thing is that they are taking a loss and having a hard time competing with other streaming services. Jay-z has too much pride and ego and does not know how to just accept and call it quits when taking a loss, in life we take losses we learn and move on, you tried a buissness move it didnt work, either you give it up and move on to another venture or you can stick it out for a bit longer and see if things get better which I doubt it will with all the bigger name competition.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didnt read after realizing who made this thread
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Accused but not proven? Ok then.

I think I def listened to it a lot over the first 10 days. Hell, I just played it front to back yesterday
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    Didnt read after realizing who made this thread

but your hoe ass still posted in it. do you feel special being ignorant and not reading?

Lol this nikka mad
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't lie tho, I've streamed the album muliple times since I copped the Tidal app....easily more than 30 or 40 times.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why haven't I heard a single song on the radio from this album?
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ChiCity wrote: »
    Accused but not proven? Ok then.

I think I def listened to it a lot over the first 10 days. Hell, I just played it front to back yesterday
    Karl. wrote: »
    Why haven't I heard a single song on the radio from this album?

I haven't heard even one song from this album. And i only know a couple people who have. I don't think it's popular enough to really be streamed as much as they claim.

Yes @ChiCity you may hanger played it a lot, but you a lover of hip hop on a hip hop message board that cares enough about music to come online and post and discuss it. Most music listeners ain't that devoted to this ? .
    So someone like you may have played it 30 times in ten days, but i know damn well the average tidal user did not do that. And given how no radio or video site plays these songs, not sure how it's this crazy streaming marvel.

Hell some people still be asking if it's out or not. Folks don't even know.