Its Time We're Honest with DPG's Dogg Food

Options

Comments

• TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pachá12 wrote: »
    Its not better than ? , but it doea have the other albums beat. The crazy part is that the common bond between all except Makavelli is that Daz, who is one of the greatest producers ever, had a hand in all of them. Suge said that Daz really produced ? , but was given money to ghost produce it for Dr. Dre. For all the East Coast West Coast stuff, I appreciated how Kurrupt was what happened when your organicaly meshed the two regions i.e 'I Don't Like To Dream About Getting Paid'.
    shaq-face.jpg
  • D.D.S.
    D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with what another poster said. 2Pac coming to Death Row kinda killed the hype around this project, even though it still went platinum.

The best Death Row project is The Chronic but this album ain't too far behind it. "I Don't Like to Dream About Getting Paid" should've been a single. Classic track. My favorite on there.

Nobody ever talks about Murder was the Case soundtrack when they speak on Death Row. Underrated project.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Can't put out above All Eyez On Me, ? , Murder Was The Case, or The Don Killuminati : The 7 Day Theory.
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a solid album but not even a classic IMO. Like the dude above said Streetz Iz a ? >> Dogg Food
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Come on now...

I know there's a movement to give people their props, but let's keep it funky: it's a good album. To put it above The Chronic, ? , and All Eyez On Me... Even Kurupt and Daz would slap the ? out of you for those assertions.
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some of Y'all Trippin.

This might be the Most Sonically Cohesive album I've ever Heard .

? 's a Classic. I Still play it all the Time over The Chronic and about the same as ? .
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dre really showed out during the Mixing Process of this album .
  • pachá12
    pachá12 Members Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Its not better than ? , but it doea have the other albums beat. The crazy part is that the common bond between all except Makavelli is that Daz, who is one of the greatest producers ever, had a hand in all of them. Suge said that Daz really produced ? , but was given money to ghost produce it for Dr. Dre. For all the East Coast West Coast stuff, I appreciated how Kurrupt was what happened when your organicaly meshed the two regions i.e 'I Don't Like To Dream About Getting Paid'.
    shaq-face.jpg

What you bolded is factual, whether you and Shaq believe it or not.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great album but....

185.gif
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LAdy of Rage used to wreck a mic
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    shaq-face.jpg

What you bolded is factual, whether you and Shaq believe it or not.

Daz own cousin Snoop said that rumor is ?
  • TheGOAT
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Here is an excerpt from Snoop interview on DubCNN speaking on Daz production on ? & Dogg Food...
    Dubcnn: But he still should get some production credit though.

But, at the same time, Dre didn't take that from Sha Money. And when he was doing that for ? back in the days, they didn't deserve to have their name in the game like that, because he did all of the work! So what you found a sample and you got a cool little drum file, but he brought the ? to life, so he really produced the track! Producing is bringing the track to life! Beatmakers make beats. A lot of ? make beats. He produces tracks. So that ain't disrespect what I'm saying. I'm just telling you what's real.

I seen him make tracks from scratch. My whole record the ? made damn near everything from scratch. "Ain't No Fun", Daz and Warren G brought him the little *sings melody*, that's all they had! Dre took that muthafucka to the next level! Warren G brought in the Donny Hathaway, "Little Ghetto Boy, laying in the ghetto streets." Dre flipped it like "Hold on, gimme that!" Took that muthafucka and made it straight hit!

Dubcnn: So you're saying it's wrong that Daz or Warren G would claim that they didn't get the credit they deserved on The Chronic or ? ?

I'ma say it like this: they didn't deserve the credit back then because they didn't do the work. They made beats, Dre produced that record. Point blank, and I'd say it in they face. They made beats, cuzz produced the record. If you a real ? in the rap game, you'll understand what I'm saying. I can make a beat, but I can't produce! I can make a beat, but can I tell a ? what to rap about, can I tell him when to come with the hook? Can you break the beat down? That's what producing is.

Dubcnn: Right, but if I brought in the beat, I would still want my name somewhere.

But, if you brought in the beat, that's all you did, was brought in the beat. You didn't produce this record. This song says "Produced by" not "brought in the beat by". Keep it real! So that's what ? got wrong, and they started pointing fingers and try to bad mouth him, when in actuality Dre doesn't need ya'll, ya'll needed him! Because this ? ya'll learned from him, that made ya'll better producers. He didn't learn ? from ya'll! See that's what ? don't understand! Before The Chronic, how many hit records did Dre have before that? Everything he made was a hit record right?

Dubcnn: Right.

How many hits did Warren G make, how many hits did Daz make? None. None. Okay now, look at the tracks that they produced on The Chronic. Did they have any records like that by theyselves? No. You answer the question for me!

Dubcnn: Maybe on Dogg Food?

Come on man! Dogg Food was produced by Soopafly, Daz and Dr. Dre!

Dubcnn: Dre mixed it right?

No, Dre produced a lot of that ? ! I'm telling you, Daz and them brought Dre beats, and he produced the muthafuckas! "What Would You Do" was just a beat that Daz had did. That "bu-bump, bu-bump", the ? Dre put all that ? on it, that *sings* What would you do, whaa *sings* just to give it that other ? ! I'm telling you what I know man! ? gotta give Dre the ultimate respect. ? try to bash him and cut his knees down like he didn't do nothing ? , he's the saviour man! Because what he did was, he showed ? how to produce. Because ? was good at making beats, but he showed you ? how to produce! If ya'll had really did what ya'll say ya'll did, ya'll woulda put records out that sold 3-4 million on your own, like he did. I still have to see it!

All the records that they put out solo wise, GARBAGE. Warren G's last record, HOT TO DEATH. The records in between, I don't know. And these are my homeboys, I don't lie to you, I tell it like it is!

Dubcnn: You don't like the Retaliation, Revenge & Get Back?

He was dissing me!

Dubcnn: I know, but it was still a good record!

I don't give a ? ! I don't like records with ? dissing me! What I look like man? I didn't smash him though. I had a record I did with Mack 10 that woulda shut is whole career down. I told him and I let him hear the record, I told him "? , I'm gonna let you get away with this cause you're my little cousin, and you rolling with Suge. I'ma let you get away with it." But in actuality I shoulda smashed his ass and kicked him out of the game, but that ain't the type of ? I am! I love Daz and I know he was brainwashed! That would've been Suge's goal, to make two ? lose for the price of one. So that's why I say I never really listen to that record cause I know the ? was dissing. But it didn't sell no units!

Dubcnn: It went gold..

It didn't go gold. They bought 300,000 copies of that record. See you didn't know that though.

Dubcnn: Nah I didn't know that. That's some crazy ? .

http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/snoopdogg06/part4/
  • pachá12
    pachá12 Members Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see what you're saying, but at the same time, Daz did have a hand in those to some capacity. The Suge part may have been off, but Daz did play a role in those classics.
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    moyo wrote: »
    I think Pac coming home around the time this album dropped hurt this album's legacy, simply because Suge put all of his resources into Pac and promoting pac and didn't help extend Dogg food's run longer than it could have. They only released 2 songs as singles and they only had 2 videos. If they could have released another video or two for this album I think it would have gotten the props that it truly deserved.

Which songs outta curiosity do you think they shoulds dropped ad third and forth singles?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm inclined to believe Snoop. Because Dre's been around since The World Class Wrecking Crew days. When he left the WCWC they fell off and were never heard from again. Then he started NWA with EAZY, Ren and Cube. After Dre bounced Eazy and Ren couldn't put together a solid album (production wise). Ice Cube's strength was rhymes so he was able to sustain a career.

Then When Dr Dre founded Death Row and made The Chronic, there's rumors that Daz and Warren G were ghost producers but when they all split up Daz and Warren G didn't produce anything noteworthy. At least nothing that got any play over here.

? was huge in Boston but The Doggfather didn't get any play in Boston at all.

Dre was behind Keep Their Heads Ringin and California Love, those songs were huge in Boston

Then Dre made 2001 and found Eminem. While I'm not much of an Eminem fan, who did Daz and Warren G find? Who did they discover?

From all the evidence, Dr Dre's had his hand in a lot of classic material. Daz and Warren G can say "they were there". But they haven't really accomplished much without Dre.

That's not a diss, Regulate got burn in Boston but thats about it.
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I'm inclined to believe Snoop. Because Dre's been around since The World Class Wrecking Crew days. When he left the WCWC they fell off and were never heard from again. Then he started NWA with EAZY, Ren and Cube. After Dre bounced Eazy and Ren couldn't put together a solid album (production wise). Ice Cube's strength was rhymes so he was able to sustain a career.

Then When Dr Dre founded Death Row and made The Chronic, there's rumors that Daz and Warren G were ghost producers but when they all split up Daz and Warren G didn't produce anything noteworthy. At least nothing that got any play over here.

Dre was behind Keep Their Heads Ringin and California Love, those songs were huge in Boston

Then Dre made 2001 and found Eminem. While I'm not much of an Eminem fan, who did Daz and Warren G find? Who did they discover?

From all the evidence, Dr Dre's had his hand in a lot of classic material. Daz and Warren G can say "they were there". But they haven't really accomplished much without Dre.

Anyways:

http://youtu.be/VGtF0TPLpSw
  • moyo
    moyo Members Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DR. JEK wrote: »
    moyo wrote: »
    I think Pac coming home around the time this album dropped hurt this album's legacy, simply because Suge put all of his resources into Pac and promoting pac and didn't help extend Dogg food's run longer than it could have. They only released 2 songs as singles and they only had 2 videos. If they could have released another video or two for this album I think it would have gotten the props that it truly deserved.

Which songs outta curiosity do you think they shoulds dropped ad third and forth singles?

"I don't like to dream about gettin paid" and either "Ridin, slippin, & slidin", or "Smooth".
  • HarlemThumzUp
    HarlemThumzUp Members Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smp4life wrote: »
    It's a solid album but not even a classic IMO. Like the dude above said Streetz Iz a ? >> Dogg Food

KYS ...cuh
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If the man put down the backbone of the songs then he deserves atleast half the credit. Point blank.

trying to rationalize by saying he doesn't deserve it because he didn't put out any hits afterwards is terrible logic
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What about Regulate.. G Funk Era by Warren G? That ? almost sounds like the Chronic companion album.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smp4life wrote: »

What about Regulate.. G Funk Era by Warren G? That ? almost sounds like the Chronic companion album.

I never heard it. I'm not saying it was good or bad, but it didn't have anywhere near the impact as The Chronic. Not in Boston anyway. But they did play the song Regulate on the top 40 radio stations in Boston.
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chronic
    ?
    Above the Rim sndtrk
    Murder was the Case
    DoggFood
    All Eyez on Me
    Makavelli
    All still stay in rotation
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Listening to Death Row classics all day today off the back of this thread.

Dog Food goes hard...
  • nohiphop1
    nohiphop1 Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Very very very dope album, one of the best of Death row. A sure classic.

but you're bugging.