Horror Movies - general discussion thread

Options
A.J. Trillzynski
A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2016 in Lights, Camera, Action!
I'd appreciate a thread on LCA to post stuff specific to horror movies so I'm making this. what have you seen lately? what have you bought lately? what is underrated/overrated? favorite franchises.. whatever.

Scream Factory! blu-rays.. I've been collecting the hell out of these. Recently got Night of the Demons, Pumpkinhead, From Beyond, Prince of Darkness and The Fog. ? superb releases, as always. check out the website: https://www.shoutfactory.com/tentpoles/scream-factory

recently watched:

Silent Night, Deadly Night (unrated, 1984) ? hilarious.. very enjoyable film.

silent-night-deadly-night.jpg

Dawn of the Dead (2004) - holds up well, nice flick.

Dawn-of-the-Dead.jpg

Maximum Overdrive - finally found a cheap used DVD. was a cool movie, loved the scene with the little league game and the kids getting pummeled and ran over by the steam roller lolol

MaxOV7.jpg

Event Horizon - I used to love this film but it hasn't exactly aged well. its very 90's.. could have used a much better production value. still pretty ? cool and I like it a lot. it was just kinda butchered by the MPAA and the studio not really backing it strongly with the production budget it needed.

event-horizon-photo-9.jpg

The Thing (1982) - I watch this at least once a year, one of my favorite films. discovered that my girlfriend hadn't seen it so I was like sit the ? down - watch this. she thought it was excellent.. how could you not, really

featured4.jpg

from Netflix recently:

The Veil (2016) - not bad, kinda wicked cult movie with Thomas Jane playing a very entertaining cult leader that gets everybody to commit mass suicide. Jessica Alba is in it, so thats nice.

Phantoms (1998) - cool flick. Rose McGowan was ? hot..

Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge - tried to give this one a chance but its just not good.. Freddy is more wicked than usual, pre-quip/one-liners Freddy and his make-up was cool. Some nice kills (the pool scene) but overall this movie is ? lame.

Comments

• A.J. Trillzynski
    Options
    been retooling my collection - upgrading a lot of stuff from DVD finally.

got a tip to go out to Fry's and holy damn they had the GOAT blu-ray selection.

some recent pick-ups:

911L3vqRa7L._SX342_.jpg

5180TuITERL.jpg

97673_slip.jpg

174_front.jpg

F13-Blu-Ray.jpg

51s8AoFFA8L.jpg
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    Options
    some overrated as ? I watched recently - The Babadook and It Follows.. don't believe the hype. Unless you thought The Conjuring was all that.. then maybe. I just thought they were weak and boring. Insidious trilogy is way better IMO
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i like when i discover good ? on netflix.....
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    some overrated as ? I watched recently - The Babadook and It Follows.. don't believe the hype. Unless you thought The Conjuring was all that.. then maybe. I just thought they were weak and boring. Insidious trilogy is way better IMO

Babadook was dry as hell to me.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I loved the conjuring but the 2nd one looks better
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Didnt care too much for it follows but i thought babadook was great.

I love the horror genre, but for me its hard to find a horror movie that i actually enjoy, if that makes sense. 9 times out of 10 when i watch a horror movie its too predictable or cheesy for me to like. I hate it when horror movies try to add comedy into the movie. Unless its something like "You're Next" I think that blended the thriller/horror/comedy really well. When i watch a horror movie i want to have that nervous scared feeling and not much has done that for me lately.

• texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Demon Night was my ?
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    New French Extremity, Italian and J-Horror>>>>>>>>>>>>> Most hortor films in the US
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I liked The Babadook and It Follows. I couldn't help but find It Follows genuinely unsettling.

I'm not really a horror fan but I do find the best horror films occur outside of Hollywood. Theres too much of a trend in Hollywood these days of just trying to make the audience jump rather than try to genuinely unsettle and scare people.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hollywood needs to drop a good slasher series since we apparently not about to get another Friday the 13th anytime soon. I thought "Hatchet" would carrry the torch but those sequels fell flat.
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    edited April 2016
    Options

I liked The Babadook and It Follows. I couldn't help but find It Follows genuinely unsettling.

I'm not really a horror fan but I do find the best horror films occur outside of Hollywood. Theres too much of a trend in Hollywood these days of just trying to make the audience jump rather than try to genuinely unsettle and scare people.

It Follows I thought was better than The Conjuring - that jump scare with the giant coming through the door is so effective. Babadook wasn't bad I liked the animations but with a protagonist little kid you just can't have him be that ? annoying. The Conjuring felt like a Christian recruitment commercial to me, all that Catholic psuedo-true story ? gets on my nerves.
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »

Didnt care too much for it follows but i thought babadook was great.

I love the horror genre, but for me its hard to find a horror movie that i actually enjoy, if that makes sense. 9 times out of 10 when i watch a horror movie its too predictable or cheesy for me to like. I hate it when horror movies try to add comedy into the movie. Unless its something like "You're Next" I think that blended the thriller/horror/comedy really well. When i watch a horror movie i want to have that nervous scared feeling and not much has done that for me lately.

One relatively recent film I really loved was The Evil Dead remake - try that one for sure if you haven't seen it.
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    Options
    Hollywood needs to drop a good slasher series since we apparently not about to get another Friday the 13th anytime soon. I thought "Hatchet" would carrry the torch but those sequels fell flat.

Hatchet 2 & 3 weren't bad for me.. but yea its not gonna have real staying power as a franchise. I'd love to see a sequel to the Friday the 13th remake; can't believe it hasn't happened yet. they are rebooting Halloween last I remember
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hatchet 3 was a little disappointing
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cosign on The Babadook. I figured it out a lot sooner than I would have liked but the way it unfolded was cool. Not the typical horror but wasn't a bad thing.
    the way they flip her having mental illness was dope cause that could be someone's reality. That made it scary as ? to me just in a different way.
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    Options
    my top 5 from last year in case you want to check out some new ones you might have missed:

Bloodsucking ?
    Girlhouse
    Stung
    Yakuza Apocalypse
    We Are Still Here
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    Options
    just discovered that Turbo Kid is on Netflix - anybody seen this?
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just discovered that Turbo Kid is on Netflix - anybody seen this?

Yeah.

Its not a horror, plenty of gore though.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate jump scares especially at the cinema, and i find alot of horror movies boring as fucc especially zombie movies.

Some of my fav horror movies are event horizon, ghost ship, 13 ghosts, ring, grudge, nightmare on elm street 5( or which ever is the one with that kid)
    mirrors, the others etc.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    One of the scariest horror movies ive seen was a short japanese movie named lady in the red dress or something like that.

It had 3 short movies, one of them sucked, but the other 2 were good.
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    Options
    Just watched Kristy (2014) on Netflix - very effective, fast paced.. cool music and cinematography. most definitely recommended.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I saw this movie called hush last weekend on Netflix. pretty good. it's basically like the strangers except the woman being harassed/terrorized is deaf

? kind of tripped me out. it made me realize I take my senses for granted

how can you protect yourself against a mufucka you can't even hear coming?
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The conjuring was dope although I don't really consider it a horror story because it's based on a true story. The other movies I didn't like.
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    Options
    picked up a couple of gems today:

d902e30548456d66cf89d54271a7d735.jpg

61776_front.jpg
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    Options
    I saw this movie called hush last weekend on Netflix. pretty good. it's basically like the strangers except the woman being harassed/terrorized is deaf

? kind of tripped me out. it made me realize I take my senses for granted

how can you protect yourself against a mufucka you can't even hear coming?

gonna add this to my queue.

some other stuff I've been meaning to watch on Netflix: Hellions, Extraterrestrial, Robert Rodriguez's The Faculty and some documentary Nightmares in Red White and Blue or someshit.. basically an overview of American horror film history.. looks interesting
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TFTC: Demon Night was my ish!