First Photo Of Scarlett Johansson In DreamWorks' 'Ghost In The Shell'

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
scarlett-johansson-ghost-in-the-shell-major-motoko-kusanagi-first-look-1.jpg?w=1024

Thanks to the likes of Under the Skin, Lucy, and her turn as Black Widow in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Scarlett Johansson has been the big screen’s reigning female badass for years now. And now we have our first look at ScarJo’s latest sci-fi endeavor: Paramount and DreamWorks’ big screen adaptation of Ghost in the Shell. Now officially in production in Wellington, New Zealand, the flick will be directed by Rupert Sanders (Snow White and the Huntsman) and star Johansson as Major Motoko Kusanagi — the augmented-cybernetic human who leads the Section 9 special-ops task force in their search for the elusive hacker known as the Puppet Master and the uncovering of Project 2501.

As you might expect, the film is based on Masamune Shirow’s iconic manga series and 1995′s anime adaptation of the same name — a universally acclaimed adaptation still widely regarded as one of the greatest anime films of all time. Thankfully Mitsuhisa Ishikawa, who produced the both the aforementioned anime film and subsequent television series, is on board for the live-action remake — so here’s to hoping the film stays true to its roots.

Ghost in the Shell is currently slated to hit theaters March 31, 2017.

Comments

• ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks good. Hopefully this shizz is dope. Lucy was cool until the end for me
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    didnt they say spielberg at some point?
    now its the guy from snow white smh
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't care for this actress at all but this story is GOAT ? . Seemingly hard to ? up. I'll keep an eye out for it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anime was about as easy to understand as aeon flux...

I expect this to ruin any chance of a Robotech movie or Live Die Repeat sequel or

Cruise is actually developing that as we speak thankfully.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they just dropped a new anime movie anybody watch it?
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is a disgrace
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pacific rim was felt like a live action anime even though it's not based on an anime
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ScarJo is ok. I like her as Black Widow and think she could pull the Major off. I don't think she was a good casting though. I mean they couldn't have gone out on a limb and got an Asian actress. For goodness sake, her name is Matoko Kusanagi. If you gonna keep that ethnic a name you need to choose the person playing the role accordingly.
    And it continues, white folks still act like this ? is not happening lol. I sopke on this ? in the gods of egypt thread. I knew it was some I missed.
    Pacific rim was felt like a live action anime even though it's not based on an anime

Actually it's biting off of something called evangelion

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not familiar with the anime. Heard of it but never watched. Will check it out
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    Not familiar with the anime. Heard of it but never watched. Will check it out

It's really good if you like near futuristic cerebral type ? .

There are two seasons of the Stand Alone Complex and they have a few episodes of a prequel series called Arise.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Arise isn't actually a prequel in the traditional sense. it's a prequel set in an alternate universe. All the different iterations of ghost in the shell are in separate universe's
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well at least they got her hair right I guess.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I mean they couldn't have gone out on a limb and got an Asian actress. For goodness sake, her name is Matoko Kusanagi.

but but white people
  • CracceR
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    I mean they couldn't have gone out on a limb and got an Asian actress. For goodness sake, her name is Matoko Kusanagi.

but but white people

japanese ppl cast asian ppl too as white ppl in movies
    for example attack on titan
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    Arise isn't actually a prequel in the traditional sense. it's a prequel set in an alternate universe. All the different iterations of ghost in the shell are in separate universe's

I didn't pick up on the fact that it was an alternate universe, but I'm sure there are some past details introduced in SAC that conflict with Arise.
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CracceR wrote: »

but but white people

Attack on titan is a Japanese anime/ live action, they can cast who they want for THEIR movies.
  • CracceR
    edited April 2016
    Options

Huey_C wrote: »
    CracceR wrote: »

but but white people

Attack on titan is a Japanese anime/ live action, they can cast who they want for THEIR movies.

still asian ppl casting asians as whites
    steven spielberg bought the rights he can do what he wants
    i woulda probably cast an asian but its whatever
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They couldn't just get the asian chick from pacific rim to do this part?
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    iron man1 wrote: »
    They couldn't just get the asian chick from pacific rim to do this part?

If thats the best y'all can do... lol y'all don't even know her name. Look I dont support whitewashing but im not sure if there was/is a bankable Asian chick to put in this film. Ijs. They could have found bankable black or middle Eastern actors for exodus and gods of Egypt but name a Asian chick that can take on a box office feature and put ? in seats. I'll wait. And I swear fo ? if one of you ? say Lucy liu.