James Cameron Announces Four Avatar Sequels

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
The visually stunning world of James Cameron's Avatar is coming back in a big way.

The director confirmed there will be four sequels to the 2009 space epic at 20th Century Fox's CinemaCon presentation Thursday.

"We have decided to embark on a truly massive cinematic process," Cameron revealed.

The current plan is to release the first of the new films on Christmas 2018, with the next installments tentatively scheduled for Christmas 2020, Christmas 2022 and Christmas 2023.

Just when the CinemaCon crowd thought Fox had showed off its entire slate, chairman Jim Gianopulos said he had one more surprise in store. He wanted to introduce an "up-and-coming filmmaker," he said, someone whose work “has tremendous potential, and we hope to continue working with him as he develops his talents.” The newbie? James Cameron.

“I’ll do my best to prove myself to Fox,” the veteran filmmaker said, emerging on the stage to rapturous applause.

Cameron hasn’t made a public appearance here since 2011, as he’s been off working on his long-awaited “Avatar” sequels. Though he’d previously announced three sequels to his 2009 smash hit, Cameron explained that he’s now planning on making four sequels instead.

“So far what I’m seeing -- the art on the walls, the stuff that’s been developed -- is in pure imagination really far beyond the first film,” he said. “But we’ve begun to bump up against the limitations of our artform.... As the writing process has continued, and now that the script work is finishing up, it’s not three films -- it’s four.”

The four films will be released around Christmas in 2018, 2020, 2022 and 2023, Cameron said, pointing out that the movies were “designed to be seen on the big screen, in theaters first.”

The director also came out aggressively against Screening Room, Sean Parker’s proposed service that would allow consumers to purchase films for $50 at home. Cameron said he traveled here in part to voice his support for the theater experience.

“As long as I’ve been a filmmaker, there’s always been some kind of threat to moviegoing experience -- VHS, DVD, streaming -- the list goes on. But we’ve always answered that threat in the same way: By being great at showmanship and creating something in a movie theater that you can’t get anywhere else,” Cameron said. “Regardless of what the folks associated with Screening Room say, I think it’s absolutely essential for films to be offered in theaters on their initial release. So: Boom!”

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wasnt even excited in a part 2, wtf.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn the king is going all in.
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He should just make a part 2 and call it quits, it's been 7 years since the first one came out how the ? is it taking him 10 years for part 2? the guy is wasting time.
  • Broddie
    Options
    He should just make a part 2 and call it quits, it's been 7 years since the first one came out how the ? is it taking him 10 years for part 2? the guy is wasting time.

He's been developing the new technology he'll use to tell the story he wants to tell this whole time. That ? takes years and Cameron never half steps. It's why he always innovates.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

He's been developing the new technology he'll use to tell the story he wants to tell this whole time. That ? takes years and Cameron never half steps. It's why he always innovates.

I definitely recall every movie he made making a huge impact. I wasnt a huge fan of Avatar, but my step dad took me to go see it when we both had the day off and it was one of the first 3D imax movies we saw. Movie LOOKED cool, but i never cared too much for the story or anything. Trailer will decide if i want to see the movie or not. But hes been working on these sequels for damn near a decade so maybe he will have some crazy ? planned.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »

I definitely recall every movie he made making a huge impact. I wasnt a huge fan of Avatar, but my step dad took me to go see it when we both had the day off and it was one of the first 3D imax movies we saw. Movie LOOKED cool, but i never cared too much for the story or anything. Trailer will decide if i want to see the movie or not. But hes been working on these sequels for damn near a decade so maybe he will have some crazy ? planned.

I've watched every movie he's ever made since early childhood and from T2 forward watched them all at the cinema. So I'm all in with this even if I haven't rewatched the original since the mind blowing IMAX 3D experience. He's my favorite director.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He needs to flim the whole thing at one time what way there shouldn't be such a long wait between each movie
  • FishNChips
    FishNChips Members Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    He needs to flim the whole thing at one time what way there shouldn't be such a long wait between each movie

They are being filmed at the same time. There's so much time between movies so they don't get overexposed
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't front, I fell asleep on the first one
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still the best 3D IMAX experience ever. Let's go.

foh let that man cook

"You rushing me? You rushing excellence. LET THEM WAIT!!!!!!" - Royce da 5'9
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He could have atleast started a side project, maybe even done a new terminator so we don't have to see the franchise butchered by these hollywood ? heads, he is going wayyy too far with this avatar ? , he's not a young man anymore time is ticking, and ? all this new technology talk, we have HD now he needs to just get some work done and stop ? around, he's the Dr Dre of film making.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wish he woulda done more terminator or the battle angel thing he was supposed to do

thats way too much avatar
    but its cameron so lets see what he does
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    I thought Avatar was wack
  • Broddie
    Options
    CracceR wrote: »
    wish he woulda done more terminator or the battle angel thing he was supposed to do

He's producing Battle Angel and hired Robert Rodriguez to direct.

He still hasn't gotten the Terminator rights back yet. That happens in 2019.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CracceR wrote: »

He's producing Battle Angel and hired Robert Rodriguez to direct.

He still hasn't gotten the Terminator rights back yet. That happens in 2019.

aight robert rodriguez is hit or miss with me tho
    james also said he was done with the terminator franchise but he might come bacc to show ppl how its really done
  • Desai
    Desai Members Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Options
    Still not seen the first one...
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? kinda od. But like its been said in this thread Cameron doesn't half step. When he drops he drops to change the game. I'll definitely be in theatres the first day.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was cool, but I don't think I need 4 more of them jawns
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I tell myself I don't care about Avatar or any sequels, but watch me get sucked into the hype nearer the time.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it took me years to see the first one.....

no ? are given here