Comments

• Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • sideon1984
    sideon1984 Members Posts: 144 ✭✭
    Options
    Figo wrote: »

Black men are the #2 cause of death among black women? Sounds like they get their info from the ? nation websites.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    sideon1984 wrote: »

Black men are the #2 cause of death among black women? Sounds like they get their info from the ? nation websites.

Yea that was an irresponsible thing to say

The most current data I was able to find suggested most Blk women die of heart disease/diabetes or cancer

Not to say domestic violence and gun violence isn't a concern

One of the top 5 leading causes of death for blk women between ages of 15 to 34 is homicide

These numbers are from 2013

https://www.cdc.gov/women/lcod/

• desertrain10
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

They have some points but IMO the majority of the ? they saying is ? crazy.

I'm have way through

What parts of the interview did you take offense to?
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm have way through

Wasn't offended by any of it.

Honestly I listened to this last week. Nothing they said was profound enough for me to remember. I also know there is no way in hell I would listen to it again just to have a conversation with you about them and their statements.

I am 100% honest when I say that me not listening again to have a convo with you about it is no way shape form or fashion a reflection on the way that I view you from what I've seen you post. Didn't want you to take that last sentence the wrong way.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

The most current data I was able to find suggested most Blk women die of heart disease/diabetes or cancer

One of the top 5 leading causes of death for blk women between ages of 15 to 34 is homicide

A lot of the stats feminists throw around are ? though. That's just par for the course. I don't think feminists are wrong about everything, but I feel like there is a problem when the only way you can support your cause is by throwing out misrepresented or false stats. It's the same ? racists do to bash blacks, and we can all call that out. So why is it ok for women to do to push their agendas? Another example is when one of the chick's said the school to prison pipeline numbers are exactly the same for black women as they are for black men. That's a lie from the pits of hell, and she said that ? matter of factly like it was indisputable.

Another gripe is the "female" complaint. Really? Ya'll supposedly got all these problems but you're whining about a mundane word choice. The word female is no more dehumanizing than the word woman. The people are basically creating drama for drama's sake.
  • desertrain10
    edited December 2016
    Options

A lot of the stats feminists throw around are ? though. That's just par for the course. I don't think feminists are wrong about everything, but I feel like there is a problem when the only way you can support your cause is by throwing out misrepresented or false stats. It's the same ? racists do to bash blacks, and we can all call that out. So why is it ok for women to do to push their agendas? Another example is when one of the chick's said the school to prison pipeline numbers are exactly the same for black women as they are for black men. That's a lie from the pits of hell, and she said that ? matter of factly like it was indisputable.

Another gripe is the "female" complaint. Really? Ya'll supposedly got all these problems but you're whining about a mundane word choice. The word female is no more dehumanizing than the word woman. The people are basically creating drama for drama's sake.

before i begin, i still haven't gotten a chance watch the whole video

but the speaker/presenter is ultimately the one with the problem, if they can only support their cause/argument is by throwing out misrepresented or false stats.... unless you feel as though the cause is faulty to begin with

and really misinformation, half truths are thrown around by both sides of the debate. we are all predisposed to cherry-picking/believing information that confirms our worldview so it helps creates this environment where everyone is trying to one up each other and no one is willing to actual take the time to listen

it is our responsibility to call them out on the ? , which I admit needs to happen more often

that said, it’s true that blk boys are more likely than any other student group to face school based arrest, suspension, and expulsion..... BUT the disparities in school discipline between blk girls and their white counterparts are greater

blk boys are over three times more likely to receive school discipline than their white (boys)counterparts, but blk girls are six times more likely to receive school discipline than their white (girls)counterparts.

http://www.atlanticphilanthropies.org/app/uploads/2015/09/BlackGirlsMatter_Report.pdf

despite this reality, there is little conversation surrounding the school to prison pipeline focuses on girls

when it comes to the use of the word 'female' it isn't really a major thing for me. but let's be honest, as a label, "female" sounds like something you'd use to refer to an animal or livestock, as opposed to "woman" which has connotations of humanity

just based off my observations, when a person uses the word 'female' to describe a woman or women what follows is usually negative, an over-generalization
  • desertrain10
    Options

I'm have way through

Honestly I listened to this last week. Nothing they said was profound enough for me to remember. I also know there is no way in hell I would listen to it again just to have a conversation with you about them and their statements.

I am 100% honest when I say that me not listening again to have a convo with you about it is no way shape form or fashion a reflection on the way that I view you from what I've seen you post. Didn't want you to take that last sentence the wrong way.

np

we cool....I think lol
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

before i begin, i still haven't gotten a chance watch the whole video

but the speaker/presenter is ultimately the one with the problem, if they can only support their cause/argument is by throwing out misrepresented or false stats.... unless you feel as though the cause is faulty to begin with

and really misinformation, half truths are thrown around by both sides of the debate. we are all predisposed to cherry-picking/believing information that confirms our worldview so it helps creates this environment where everyone is trying to one up each other and no one is willing to actual take the time to listen

it is our responsibility to call them out on the ? , which I admit needs to happen more often

that said, it’s true that blk boys are more likely than any other student group to face school based arrest, suspension, and expulsion..... BUT the disparities in school discipline between blk girls and their white counterparts are greater

blk boys are over three times more likely to receive school discipline than their white (boys)counterparts, but blk girls are six times more likely to receive school discipline than their white (girls)counterparts.

http://www.atlanticphilanthropies.org/app/uploads/2015/09/BlackGirlsMatter_Report.pdf

despite this reality, there is little conversation surrounding the school to prison pipeline focuses on girls

when it comes to the use of the word 'female' it isn't really a major thing for me. but let's be honest, as a label, "female" sounds like something you'd use to refer to an animal or livestock, as opposed to "woman" which has connotations of humanity

just based off my observations, when a person uses the word 'female' to describe a woman or women what follows is usually negative, an over-generalization

I can't say feminists use false information more than anyone else because nowadays lots of people quote a bunch of stuff without really checking into it. I just point it out with feminist because I feel like women's rights are important, but a lot of feminists do as much to hurt their cause as they do to help it. Not all of course, but it does seem like the ones that have the biggest platforms are the ones that do the worst.

As for the school to prison pipeline, you're right, you hardly hear anything about how it affects black girls, but let me point something out. When white people started using that "All Lives Matter" tag and started asking why people weren't protesting about police brutality with whites, what was the response from blacks (many of which were women)? It was basically, "Yes, it happens to whites, but it happens much more to us so we need to focus on us now." Why is it that black feminists have such a hard time seeing that same logic with issues in the black community? Yes, black girls/women are sent to prison unfairly. Yes, black girls/women are beaten and killed by the cops. But it happens much more to black boys/men. So why is it a problem that the focus is put on black boys/men? After all, it's not like any of the solutions being suggested are gender specific. If the changes are made, they will improve the situation for black girls/women to and likely at a faster rate.

I think black feminists tend to ignore the logic in that because it flies in the face of their misogynoir and intersection theories they like pushing so much. It's not to say that those concepts don't exist. They just don't always go against black women in the ways that feminists suggest. Police relations, the legal system, and family court are all examples where being a woman gives black women a substantial advantage over black men. And then when you talk about something like acceptance into academic institutions, the intersection of black and woman is actually a benefit. So the issue of women's rights is not as simple as some would make it out to be and despite this being a patriarchal society, black women are not in an inferior position to black men nearly as some suggest.
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    surprised body posted the Gucci joint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir10qmckKFk

well, @_goldie_ usually posted the music related ones in the reason, despite my attempts to funnel ALL interviews to this thread, but he still my negus tho
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm have way through

np

we cool....I think lol

LLS we are definitely are!
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    surprised body posted the Gucci joint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir10qmckKFk

well, @_goldie_ usually posted the music related ones in the reason, despite my attempts to funnel ALL interviews to this thread, but he still my negus tho

bpysb7ci8u5c.gif

• R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Darkskin joint obnoxious as ? . It's hard to listen to her speak. Her heart is probably in the right place but some people just meant to be soldiers
  • AP21
    Options
  • AP21
    Options
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »

damn good interview especially the meeting Trump stuff.
  • AP21
    Options
    cant front...this was a good ass interview

i dont always agree with him on everything, and i still didnt agree with everything in this video, he as speaking some truths in this one
  • AP21
    Options
  • AP21
    Options
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options

The problem with Nasheed he can gloss over actual stats and historical fact to push his "mostly" black paranoia narrative.And its easy to do that around uninformed people like like Charlamagne and Envy who dont do the due diligence and cant challenge you on your narrative, he is not different than those on the other side.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the 36:00 minute mark of the Michael Eric Dyson Interview tho.
    Wow... mindblown... in a good way.