What are some Independent Monthly Series You Pick up?

Options
Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
Like the title says. We are all big Marvel/DC fans, but what are some lesser known independent monthly books yall follow?

I been trying to step my indie game up to show support. There are a lot of great books out there. I always try to find ones that are on issue 1-3 though so I can stay in the loop with the stories. Yall can name Vertigo or Marvel MAXX/Ultimate too (whatever marvel calls their adult books)

For myself, Im still following the Spawn series. Picked it back up at issue 256 (shortly after Simmons came back). Not a bad series. Not great though.

Im also reading a book called Powerlines that is on issue 1:

PowerLines_01-1.png

Suiciders by Vertigo. Currently on #1:

In the post-apocalyptic city of New Angeles, killing isn’t just a crime – it’s entertainment.

When the “big one” finally hit the West Coast, Los Angeles was left in ruins. And when the U.S. government decided to cut the city loose, things went from bad to worse. To survive, L.A. did what it does best: It turned survival into entertainment.

Now, thirty years later, the city of New Angeles is thriving once more thanks to the blood sport known as SUICIDERS – a TV series that combines the spectacle of hand-to-hand combat with elaborate, high-tech obstacles that test each competitor’s ability to survive. But these competitors have an edge: They’ve been freakishly enhanced by drugs and technology. The results are both marvelous and monstrous, as the man called The Saint begins to rise above his fellow Suiciders.

SUICIDERS is a dark, post-apocalyptic epic that tells the story of a strange, brutal world, written and illustrated by Lee Bermejo, the #1 New York Times best-selling writer/artist behind JOKER, BATMAN: NOEL, LUTHOR and BEFORE WATCHMEN: RORSCHACH.

a31c4d37-8132-4255-90a5-4d3d62935fe2.jpeg

Also reading Unfollow and The Dark ? by Vertigo. They are horror comics.

Also another one by Dynamite Comics i believe. Its called Satan's Hollow. Pretty dope.

Been wanting to get into books like Invincible, XO Manowar, Fables, Savage Dragon, and a few others but they are so far into their stories that it would be lame to jump in. Will probably wait until Fables starts a new story arc to jump in. Ive heard nothing but great things about that series.

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Options
    Picked this up from Image:

BlackRoad_01-1.png

BLACK ROAD #1
    Story By: Brian Wood
    Art By: Garry Brown
    Art By: Dave McCaig
    Cover By: Garry Brown
    Published: April 13, 2016
    Diamond ID: FEB160460

Meet Magnus the Black, neither clean nor sober, neither Christian nor Pagan, but a man true to his word. When a ranking official under his care is brutally murdered, he’s prepared to hunt the killers to the frozen tip of Norway, religious war be damned. Northlanders creator BRIAN WOOD returns to the Viking genre along with artist GARRY BROWN (The Massive, Catwoman) and DAVE McCAIG (Batman, American Vampire) in this all-new series.

- See more at: https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/black-road-1#sthash.m0tmogIb.dpuf
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Also these by Aftershock Comics. Were only 1.99 as well!

bookblackeyedkids.jpg?w=659

Black-Eyed Kids (MR)

(W) Joe Pruett

(A) Szymon Kudranski

(CA) Francesco Francavilla

It’s dark. You’re alone. Then there’s a knock. You open the door to find two seemingly normal kids. They ask to come in, to borrow your phone to call for a ride. You find yourself overcome with an intense fear that you can’t explain. And then you notice their eyes…black…SOLID black. You want to run, but now they’re inside. It’s too late. They have you.

Eisner Award winner Joe Pruett (X-Men Unlimited, Cable) is joined by artist Szymon Kudranski (Spawn, Penguin: Pain and Prejudice) for this terrifying new horror series.

bookroughriders.jpg?w=659

Rough Riders (PG)

(W) Adam Glass

(A/CA) Pat Olliffe

Led by a young Theodore Roosevelt, a motley crew of soon-to-be American legends must work together to solve a mystery that threatens life itself. Harry Houdini — street magician and master of misdirection. Annie Oakley — a washed-up entertainer, eager for a chance to prove herself in a real war. Jack Johnson — an undefeated brawler and the son of ex-slaves, determined to get his shot at the heavyweight championship…When a terrifying alien technology destroys the USS Maine, these unlikely allies set sail for ? Cuba, into the heart of a brewing conflict, to wage a shadow war against the greatest threat mankind has ever known. Before they were famous, they were…ROUGH RIDERS.
  • Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    Picked this up from Image:

BlackRoad_01-1.png

BLACK ROAD #1
    Story By: Brian Wood
    Art By: Garry Brown
    Art By: Dave McCaig
    Cover By: Garry Brown
    Published: April 13, 2016
    Diamond ID: FEB160460

Meet Magnus the Black, neither clean nor sober, neither Christian nor Pagan, but a man true to his word. When a ranking official under his care is brutally murdered, he’s prepared to hunt the killers to the frozen tip of Norway, religious war be damned. Northlanders creator BRIAN WOOD returns to the Viking genre along with artist GARRY BROWN (The Massive, Catwoman) and DAVE McCAIG (Batman, American Vampire) in this all-new series.

- See more at: https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/black-road-1#sthash.m0tmogIb.dpuf

Lou, how is the first issue? I know Brian Wood has been on a steady decline, is this his normal boring padding consequence free book?
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    I liked it enough to put it in my pull box. First issue so a lot of set up. I don't know much about the writer but I love the art in it. Story seems like it can be interesting in the future too. I don't want to spoil it for ya but maybe check out readcomiconline.com and read the first issue there if they have it and can maybe help ya decide if you want to pick up the physical or digital copies. I've been trying to pick up a lot more indie comics just to broaden my collection away from the big 2 a bit and give a little support to other companies. Just read a couple reviews on this cuz it was a #1 and it had good reviews so I took the chance. Kind of hard to say if it was super good just because it's only one issue in but it definitely holds my interest at least.

One that I can say I really enjoyed was that "rough riders" book. It's just a cool ass idea to me and funny in a way of these influential people or history teaming together. Roosevelt is bad ass lol.
  • SunflowaSeeds
    SunflowaSeeds Members Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    7a1knvvutpda.png
    sgii6j7sxykc.png
    2ijkxbrddquf.png

That scalped book by vertigo is hella dope. I haven't read the entire series yet but I heard they're making a show about it.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Saga
    TMNT
    Back to the Future
    Judge Dredd
    Ghostbusters International
  • SunflowaSeeds
    Options
    7a1knvvutpda.png
    sgii6j7sxykc.png
    2ijkxbrddquf.png

That scalped book by vertigo is hella dope. I haven't read the entire series yet but I heard they're making a show about it.

Are you sure that's not Preacher? That's another Vertigo that they are making a show about. Unless they're doing both. Either way, I've heard amazing things about both of them.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    7a1knvvutpda.png
    sgii6j7sxykc.png
    2ijkxbrddquf.png

Are you sure that's not Preacher? That's another Vertigo that they are making a show about. Unless they're doing both. Either way, I've heard amazing things about both of them.

Yeah they're doing both. Scalped tv show was announced a couple years ago, but sounds like it just got picked up by a network within the last year. I think amc is doing the show as well as preacher.
  • Paprika
    Options
    I grabbed Paper Girls #5 and Black Road on my break today. Paper Girls has to be my favourite book out right now. If only it came out twice a month.

Black Road was amazing as well. Adding it to my pull list. Thanks Lou.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Paprika wrote: »
    I grabbed Paper Girls #5 and Black Road on my break today. Paper Girls has to be my favourite book out right now. If only it came out twice a month.

Check out that Rough Riders book!
  • Paprika
    Options
    Paprika wrote: »

Check out that Rough Riders book!

Cool, I'll grab it on my way home.
  • SunflowaSeeds
    Options
    Paper girls wasn't really my cup of tea. I bought the whole first arc issue by issue, because have to give any book by him a fair shake. I took it off my weekly pull list though, and might buy the second trade depending on what I hear about it.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The Autumnlands (A must read. Issue #11 just dropped yesterday)
    Deadly Class
    Thief Of Thieves
    Invisible Republic
    They're Not Like Us
    Unfollow
    The Wicked + The Divine
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Really loving rough riders and black Eyed kids.

Spawn just started at issue 1 again. Haven't read it yet tho.

Black road from image comics is really good too.

Added "the hunt" from image comics to my pull box. On issue 2 and pretty good so far.

Also added evil Ernie: ? eater. Issue one just dropped.

Added brik, 2 issues, haven't read but has good reviews.

And THE FIX by image comics, currently on issue 4 but this book is AWESOME and hilarious. Really entertaining story and script and pretty nasty. The artwork looks like the art from Grand theft auto. Story is about two crooked cops who owe this evil rich guy money. Funniest part is the guy they owe fronts as a super nice guy, he's involved in the community, a father and husband, eats healthy and is super nice to everyone. But then he tortures and kills folks, but does it nicely and talks to them really nicely when he does it. ? funny I highly recommend this comic.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Who's writing Spawn?
  • Broddie
    Options
    Oh and damn! @ Evil Ernie still being in publication. I haven't read that in about 15 years.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Ah my mistake this is a spin off comic. It's written by McFarlane and art by jj kirby.

I saw an ad for evil Ernie and the art looked dope so I figured I would give it a shot. First issue is 4.99 tho!
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sons Of The Devil is a great one too.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Been thinking of picking up TNMT and a Dredd series. Possibly looking at some Dark Horse comics but everything is at such a high number that Im not sure when i should jump in haha. Realized i dont have a single Dark Horse comic.

I read a long time ago they were going to start doing Fables at #1 again. Not sure if its true or when its taking place but if it does happen Im jumping in on that. A lot of these damn indie comics will be 3.99-4.99 though. Lot more pages though, love not having ads.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Fables would have as many ads as other corporate books since it's a Vertigo IP.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Who's writing Spawn?

laptop_chimp.jpg

• Lou Cypher
    Options
    Who's writing Spawn?

laptop_chimp.jpg

Erik Larsen has been writing spawn for awhile now. McFarlane has a huge amount of input on the story im sure though.

I havent read the Spawn Kills us All book yet but that one is written solely by McFarlane.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Who's writing Spawn?

laptop_chimp.jpg

You do realize that Spawn has gone through numerous writers right?

• lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have Spawn books ranging from Brian Holguin to Paul Jenkins. There's a reason why there's always a revolving door: McFarlane