Malik Yusef Speaks On Kanye West's Possible Mental Disorder

Options
MrCrookedLetter
MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2016 in The Reason
Kanye-MAlik.jpg

Malik Yusef reveals that Kanye West might be diagnosed with bipolar disorder or schizophrenia.

Malik Yusef is a Chicago-bred artist and producer who has worked with Kanye West throughout his career. In a new interview for Drea O's YouTube channel, Yusef claims that he "wrote and produced every song" on The Life of Pablo, which he refers to as "the number one album in the world." Also in the interview, he speaks on Kanye's mental state, revealing that Ye might be diagnosed with bipolar disorder and/or schizophrenia. Whatever he has been diagnosed with, Malik admits that Kanye does not take his prescribed medication.

"He doesn't take his medication because he chooses not to, and I applaud him for that," said Yusef. After Drea asks Yusef what medication he's referring to, he responds, "Whatever they prescribe you for like bipolar or schizophrenia or whatever they diagnosed him as."

Yusef then makes sure to imply that he doesn't necessarily attach much credence to traditional diagnoses. "That doesn't mean anything," he said with regard to Kanye's possible mental disorder, "You know, they can diagnose you as all kind of stuff. That doesn't mean you have to adhere to those principles."

"You ain't never seen nothing crazier than / This n*gga when he off his Lexapro," rapped Kanye on the Pablo track "FML." Lexapro is an antidepressant most commonly used to treat depression or anxiety. If Kanye is indeed bipolar or schizophrenic, Lexapro likely wouldn't be the drug he'd be prescribed with, though as the lyric does sound true-to-life, so perhaps he is dealing with multiple disorders and/or mental illnesses at once.

While there is no outright confirmation on what Kanye has been diagnosed with, Yusef's revelations provide insight into some of his more erratic behavior -- and to his genius as well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GYrW1c3LWPo&persist_app=1&app=m

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/malik-yusef-speaks-on-kanye-wests-mental-disorder-news.21276.html

Comments

• The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Chat La Pat ? smh, even if everything he saying is true where is the loyalty. I see why old heads be saying such and such wouldnt make it in this or that era and did he write and produce every song or wrote and produced on every song cuz if he did the former he cold.
  • CantBanTheSoulMan
    CantBanTheSoulMan Members Posts: 272 ✭✭
    Options
    Kanye-MAlik.jpg

Malik Yusef reveals that Kanye West might be diagnosed with bipolar disorder or schizophrenia.

Malik Yusef is a Chicago-bred artist and producer who has worked with Kanye West throughout his career. In a new interview for Drea O's YouTube channel, Yusef claims that he "wrote and produced every song" on The Life of Pablo, which he refers to as "the number one album in the world." Also in the interview, he speaks on Kanye's mental state, revealing that Ye might be diagnosed with bipolar disorder and/or schizophrenia. Whatever he has been diagnosed with, Malik admits that Kanye does not take his prescribed medication.

"He doesn't take his medication because he chooses not to, and I applaud him for that," said Yusef. After Drea asks Yusef what medication he's referring to, he responds, "Whatever they prescribe you for like bipolar or schizophrenia or whatever they diagnosed him as."

Yusef then makes sure to imply that he doesn't necessarily attach much credence to traditional diagnoses. "That doesn't mean anything," he said with regard to Kanye's possible mental disorder, "You know, they can diagnose you as all kind of stuff. That doesn't mean you have to adhere to those principles."

"You ain't never seen nothing crazier than / This n*gga when he off his Lexapro," rapped Kanye on the Pablo track "FML." Lexapro is an antidepressant most commonly used to treat depression or anxiety. If Kanye is indeed bipolar or schizophrenic, Lexapro likely wouldn't be the drug he'd be prescribed with, though as the lyric does sound true-to-life, so perhaps he is dealing with multiple disorders and/or mental illnesses at once.

While there is no outright confirmation on what Kanye has been diagnosed with, Yusef's revelations provide insight into some of his more erratic behavior -- and to his genius as well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GYrW1c3LWPo&persist_app=1&app=m

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/malik-yusef-speaks-on-kanye-wests-mental-disorder-news.21276.html

I hate to be "that guy who has a friend" type of ? , but my best friend since childhood has been diagnosed with both bipolar and schizophrenia, has been in and out of mental health spots for the past 4 years and some of the weird ? Kanye says in interviews and tweets and the way his mood flips and the way he speaks reminds me of of my boy. I don't know Kanye or follow him, or even like him really, but even at a glance it's not hard for even an untrained eye to tell Kanye is suffering from something.
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why talk about ya friend
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The lexapro line makes sense/is telling in that if he is bipolar or schizophrenic taking that medication would trigger episodic behavior. An antidepressant without a mood stabilizer or anti psychotic for someone with those diagnoses is no bueno.

I think schizophrenia is unlikely. He has unhealthy ego boundaries, but that's a debilitating brain disease. If untreated he'd show signs of retardation, catatonia, be experiening hallucinations. It's sort of a garbage bag diagnosis.

Bipolar is more likely. Delusions of grandeur, manic behavior, mood swings, forced speech, profligate spending (even for a rapper). The artist personality and the wild style of dress also fits the profile (mean nothing without the other symptoms).

Or it could be a TBI from his accident. It's not hard to tell that he's not well.

I wish he'd get some treatment, because he'd get some clarity. He just seems like he's suffering.

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    (Nope) wrote: »
    The lexapro line makes sense/is telling in that if he is bipolar or schizophrenic taking that medication would trigger episodic behavior. An antidepressant without a mood stabilizer or anti psychotic for someone with those diagnoses is no bueno.

I think schizophrenia is unlikely. He has unhealthy ego boundaries, but that's a debilitating brain disease. If untreated he'd show signs of retardation, catatonia, be experiening hallucinations. It's sort of a garbage bag diagnosis.

Bipolar is more likely. Delusions of grandeur, manic behavior, mood swings, forced speech, profligate spending (even for a rapper). The artist personality and the wild style of dress also fits the profile (mean nothing without the other symptoms).

Or it could be a TBI from his accident. It's not hard to tell that he's not well.

I wish he'd get some treatment, because he'd get some clarity. He just seems like he's suffering.

If i were to play armchair psychiatrist that would have been choice number 1.

Mental illness isn't taken seriously enough by black folks.

If this dude thinks Kanye is sick and applauds him for not taking his meds then he is essentially allowing Kanye to descend into madness. People with mental illness are constantly being taken advantage of.
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »

If this dude thinks Kanye is sick and applauds him for not taking his meds then he is essentially allowing Kanye to descend into madness. People with mental illness are constantly being taken advantage of.

Bipolar is more than just the manic phase. That manifests relatively little of the time in comparison to the depression that Bipolar patients suffer.

Malik Yusef is being an idiot, if what he's saying about Kanye is true. B/c that's the attitude that enables people with these conditions to get worse, to the point where they commit suicide

Up to half of Bipolar Disorder patients attempt suicide at some point.

That said, the manic phases can be very dangerous too. People literally put themselves in harms way and end up going to jail, or even getting themselves killed.

Black people, in general, aren't any more against mental health diagnoses than any other group of people, but black people tend to end up with cases of mental health due to socioeconomic stressors that trigger their genetic predispositions. But overall, there's a long way to go before psychiatric disorders are accepted as a non-stigmatized health diagnosis.

So Malik Yusef can go ? himself. He's about a 100 years from being qualified to speak on anything relating to mental health. He wouldn't be this if Kanye had an autoimmune disease or cancer or anything else.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I actually agree here.

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    As far as Kanye, a great deal of these celebs are on coke at worst, pills at best.

Contrary to popular belief, people arent just normally off their rocker. Manziel, Katt Williams, etc. Go all the way back to Robin Williams, Chris Farley, u name it. People. Take. Drugs. And if youre in hollywood u gon go higher and higher if u aint stable.

Look at Odom, wanter so hard to believe the media was just trippin but no, he WAS on some ? . People dont just normally do crazy ? . If a celeb gets into ? where u wonder wtf was he thinking, more often than not they on some ? .

'Yo Stevie J hilarious that ? b trippin!'- he was on coke.

'Scott Dissick is an ? ! Wow, he be trippin' - he was on coke.

'Bieber be trippin!' -he's on coke.

Im takin a stack to Vegas on it, Kanye is either clinical or he on something or both
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Harriet Tubman was bipolar, schizophrenic, and on coke
  • (Nope)
    Options

This is true for all demographics, but marginalized demographics build up different defenses. You can't appear 'weak' when you're preyed upon by society. And if you're from a macho culture, ? your feelings--let alone mental illness.

And what you said about people with mental illness being taken advantage of I believe that's true.

Ye looks like he's doing well, there is a whole lot of positive reinforcement for his behavior, and who is going to tell him to slow down and practice some real self-care? Consequence? All the people around him depend on him, and cultural values based on ability goals would lead one to believe everything is good with him. E.g., the responses in this thread, but suffering is suffering and that pain is relative for people with mental illness. No amount of acclaim or wealth is going to make him feel better. And treatment is scary. What if it makes you someone else? Someone less creative? Plus, people respect the crazy rock star, not the sensible human. He is a brand, so that opens the door to a lot of unknowns.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell yea Kanye has a mental disorder...
    U dont produce all those hits, then Craft
    College DropOut, Late Registration, Graduation, 808 N Heart Break... MYBDTF...then do the Yeezus tour , and be a regular ? .
  • (Nope)
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    As far as Kanye, a great deal of these celebs are on coke at worst, pills at best.

Contrary to popular belief, people arent just normally off their rocker. Manziel, Katt Williams, etc. Go all the way back to Robin Williams, Chris Farley, u name it. People. Take. Drugs. And if youre in hollywood u gon go higher and higher if u aint stable.

Look at Odom, wanter so hard to believe the media was just trippin but no, he WAS on some ? . People dont just normally do crazy ? . If a celeb gets into ? where u wonder wtf was he thinking, more often than not they on some ? .

'Yo Stevie J hilarious that ? b trippin!'- he was on coke.

'Scott Dissick is an ? ! Wow, he be trippin' - he was on coke.

'Bieber be trippin!' -he's on coke.

Im takin a stack to Vegas on it, Kanye is either clinical or he on something or both

High comorbidity of affective and personality disorders among drug users. That's a safe bet.

• (Nope)
    Options
    sully wrote: »

Bipolar is more than just the manic phase. That manifests relatively little of the time in comparison to the depression that Bipolar patients suffer.

Malik Yusef is being an idiot, if what he's saying about Kanye is true. B/c that's the attitude that enables people with these conditions to get worse, to the point where they commit suicide

Up to half of Bipolar Disorder patients attempt suicide at some point.

That said, the manic phases can be very dangerous too. People literally put themselves in harms way and end up going to jail, or even getting themselves killed.

Black people, in general, aren't any more against mental health diagnoses than any other group of people, but black people tend to end up with cases of mental health due to socioeconomic stressors that trigger their genetic predispositions. But overall, there's a long way to go before psychiatric disorders are accepted as a non-stigmatized health diagnosis.

So Malik Yusef can go ? himself. He's about a 100 years from being qualified to speak on anything relating to mental health. He wouldn't be this if Kanye had an autoimmune disease or cancer or anything else.

I agree Yusef is an ? .

It doesn't appear he volunteered this info out of concern or as an interventionist measure, he just wanted to talk.

If Ye has snakes in his brain he doesn't need them around him.

• aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »

She's on the $20 bill also.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »

She's on the $20 bill also.

? the 20 dollar bill
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy hasn't been the same since his Moms passed.. He may have PSTD if anything but I'm not a Doctor.. So who knows.. Hell he may have PSTD from his car accident..
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    Yeezy hasn't been the same since his Moms passed.. He may have PSTD if anything but I'm not a Doctor.. So who knows.. Hell he may have PSTD from his car accident..

It's his mom's passing, plus another disorder, not PTSD. I'd say someone like Rihanna has PTSD, but not Kanye.