'SIXTH SENSE' Voted Film With Most Shocking Ending...

Options
rip.dilla
rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in Lights, Camera, Action!
By Press Association Reporter
Sunday, 25 July 2010

Bruce Willis's movie hit The Sixth Sense was today declared the film with the biggest shock of all time,

The film about a young boy who claims to "see dead people" features a pivotal moment in which the truth about Willis's character is revealed.

It beat 50-year-old chiller ? in a poll to find the most shocking plot twist, commissioned to mark the release of Robert Pattinson film Remember Me on DVD and Blu-Ray.

Pattinson's film - released tomorrow by E1 Entertainment - features its own unexpected ending.

Kevin Spacey plays a key role in two of the films in the top 10 - his performances in The Usual Suspects, which was ranked third, and Se7en, which was placed ninth.

The jaw-dropping moment when Darth Vader revealed he was actually Luke Skywalker's father was in fourth place.

Also in the list - in seventh place - is the moment when Edward Woodward's character Sgt Howie finds he is to be a human sacrifice as The Wicker Man draws to a close. And the climactic scene in The Planet Of The Apes where the audience learns the action is set on Earth is tenth.

Martin Gough, senior product manager at E1 Entertainment said: "The Sixth Sense will always be remembered for its 'I see dead people' line, which actually should have given the game away for Willis a lot sooner than it did.

"It's clear that the public loves an ultimate shock and Remember Me's is both sudden and poignant at the same time, revealing its twist before the credits roll."

The biggest film shocks of all time are:

1. Sixth Sense (1999) - Bruce Willis's character is in fact dead.

2. ? (1960) - Norman Bates has dressed as his mother.

3. The Usual Suspects (1995) - Kevin Spacey's character Verbal is actually the villain Keyser Soze.

4. The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father.

5. Saw (2004) - Villain Jigsaw is alive and was just pretending to be dead throughout the film.

6. Fight Club (1999) - Ed Norton and Brad Pitt's characters are the same person.

7. The Wicker Man (1973) - Edward Woodward's Sgt Howie has been lured to become a sacrifice.

8. The Others (2001) - Grace Stewart (Nicole Kidman) and family are ghosts.

9. Se7en (1995) - Spacey's John Doe character has set up the plot to engineer his death.

10. Planet Of The Apes (1968) - The setting is planet Earth in the future.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/sixth-sense-voted-film-with-most-shocking-twist-2035175.html

A rare win for Shyamalan... LOL

Comments

• rice n gravy
    rice n gravy Members Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    the first Saw is the only movie my mouth dropped when it happend

sixth sense was laying clues all thru the movie that willis was dead
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    the day before I saw it I said "man, the 'twist ending' is probably that Bruce Willis is a ghost or something"

Also, this list is INVALID because it doesn't have "The Crying Game" on it

I mean seriously.....
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    How could that go before ? ? ? was doubly shocking for it's time.

I was gonna say Saw and The Others for most shocking. Never saw either of those two coming.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I didn't at all see that ending with Sixth Sense call me slow, but I knew something wasn't right and I thought his wife was just ignoring him. I remember thinking that was a hell of an ending the first time I seen that movie.
  • rip.dilla
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I didn't at all see that ending with Sixth Sense call me slow, but I knew something wasn't right and I thought his wife was just ignoring him. I remember thinking that was a hell of an ending the first time I seen that movie.

The ending to Sixth Sense was brilliant... everybody gonna front and say they knew... FOH LOL
  • Tha Killa
    Tha Killa Members Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Ya'll do know that The Sixth Sense was basically a swagger jacking of an old episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark?, right? I think it's safe to say that M. Night Shyamalan sucks ? at film-making unless he's biting his movie from someone else. Go watch "The Tale of the Dream Girl" on youtube and tell me I'm lying. I thought it was a dope homage to that show when it first came out, but all of the raw sewage he's come out with since then has kinda changed my perceptive.
  • Swiffness!
    edited July 2010
    Options
    again, "The Crying Game" twist ? on Sixth Sense twist

matter of fact, Crying Game ? on Sixth Sense period

M Night is a hack who got lucky
  • sickbizzle
    sickbizzle Members Posts: 1,184 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    ? .

over Empire Strikes Back? this publication just lost all credibility forever
  • rip.dilla
    edited July 2010
    Options
    It was a poll... and you know what they say "the majority wins..."
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I'm sorry, but The Sixth Sense ages horribly. After you watch it again knowing the ending you realize just how unrealistic him being dead and not knowing it the whole time really is.
  • Carnage816
    Carnage816 Members Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Where "The Mist"
  • rip.dilla
    edited July 2010
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but The Sixth Sense ages horribly. After you watch it again knowing the ending you realize just how unrealistic him being dead and not knowing it the whole time really is.

Well that's the point... when you watched it for the first time... did you know how it'd end?
  • Iheart~Cali
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Carnage816 wrote: »
    Where "The Mist"

What was the big reveal in that film? I saw that and I didn't see a big secret.
  • Swiffness!
    edited July 2010
    Options
    What was the big reveal in that film? I saw that and I didn't see a big secret.

? what

do u have eyes

Stephen King wrote the book it was based on and he said this:

"Frank wrote a new ending that I loved. It is the most shocking ending ever and there should be a law passed stating that anybody who reveals the last 5 minutes of this film should be hung from their neck until dead."
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    no Shutter Island ?
  • wizv.2
    wizv.2 Members Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    freshb651 wrote: »
    no Shutter Island ?

You mean A Beautiful Mind v2?
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Well that's the point... when you watched it for the first time... did you know how it'd end?

You missed MY point. When you re-watch it that twist should still make sense. But when you re-watch The Sixth Sense you realize that the reason why nobody saw the ending coming was NOT because of great writing. It was because of how completely implausible that outcome was. The story basically ignores realities of it.
  • sickbizzle
    sickbizzle Members Posts: 1,184 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Carnage816 wrote: »
    Where "The Mist"

no ? , co-sign. i did NOT see that ? coming
  • Hip-Hop One
    Hip-Hop One Members Posts: 703 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    The Empire Strikes Back is the most shocking ending as far as huge films go, I remember reading an article where they said that it was even being reported in the news that Darth Vader was Luke's pop.

? is also better. This is pretty much the only great film that M. Nightshanfbeifbn has ever done though and the ending was shocking so i'll give it its due.
  • rice n gravy
    rice n gravy Members Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    sickbizzle wrote: »
    no ? , co-sign. i did NOT see that ? coming

the way they did the ending all I could do was laugh
  • rip.dilla
    edited July 2010
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    You missed MY point. When you re-watch it that twist should still make sense. But when you re-watch The Sixth Sense you realize that the reason why nobody saw the ending coming was NOT because of great writing. It was because of how completely implausible that outcome was. The story basically ignores realities of it.

It was just a movie LOL... Fight Club which was in that list was "implausible" at times when you get to the end

And you know how Hollywood treat films with ghosts in them...
  • Iheart~Cali
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    ? what

do u have eyes

Stephen King wrote the book it was based on and he said this:

"Frank wrote a new ending that I loved. It is the most shocking ending ever and there should be a law passed stating that anybody who reveals the last 5 minutes of this film should be hung from their neck until dead."

Ya I know who wrote it and I've seen the film 4 times. What's the big secret about the ending?
  • Iheart~Cali
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Just because the ending is tragic doesn't make it a shocking twist like the other films on that list.
  • Iheart~Cali
    edited July 2010
    Options
    A Perfect Getaway was VERY shocking too. It's one of those films you have to watch atleast twice because you have to go back over everything that was said or done after you know what the twist was.
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    the sixth sense is overrated and so is the ending.......? craig beatin deebo's ass at the end of friday was more shocking lol