Is Gentrification Always a Bad Thing?

Options
shtoopid
shtoopid Members Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
For example, San Francisco is known as one of the more gentrified cities in the United States. It is now officially the most expensive city in the country. I've read several articles saying "black flight" has been going on in the Bay Area for decades. Sure some people are being pushed out, but according to demographers, it's not poor black folk getting pushed out. it's mostly middle class blacks moving to escape the violence, and other issues that come with living in the hood, and getting replaced by yuppies. there's plenty of poor black folk still in sf... just no middle class. unless you're section 8, or senior housing, a ? apartment in Hunter's Point is more expensive than a nice house in a beautiful community almost anywhere in the country, and a lot of people have been hip to that ? . hell, a lot of middle class whites are leaving the city too. I know ? personally that moved out and never looked back. ? that grew up in the gutter with roaches and rats, and now they have 4 bedroom homes in Sacramento, Vegas, etc. sending their kids to good schools for way cheaper. If ? are voluntarily moving out of troubled neighborhoods, and hipsters are willing to pay millions for their ? apartments, is that really a bad thing? Like, is it really "the white man trying to take away our communities," or just simple economics? If you lived in the city and worked some bs job, would you pay 3k a month just to live in the city you grew up in, or move? better yet, if you owned a house in the hood, would you continue to live there on some pride ? , or sell it to some nerd for a million and live like a king in texas? Discuss...

Comments

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yes, becuse they take over low income hoods and turn them into hippie expensive hoods.
    even the people who hand on to their houses often cant even pay the taxes due t the increasing cost of the surrounding homes.
    the stores and restaurants are aimed at that demographic.

now if the places were built up with affordable housing then no....but its not
  • shtoopid
    edited May 2016
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Depends on where you sit. If you poor then hell yeah its 100% bad because you being priced out of your house.

i feel it, but places like sf and la ain't never really been affordable (compared to places like fresno, arizona, houston, etc.). if black people are voluntarily moving out, why does it matter than they are being replaced by wealthy white dudes who are voluntarily paying 5K a month for a studio apartment knowing damn well it's bums and stickup kids on the corner?
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    South Side Chicago needs some
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    hipsters are the ? worst. they're the dark side. Im so sick of rich white kids who think they didn't grow up rich.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    shtoopid wrote: »
    Depends on where you sit. If you poor then hell yeah its 100% bad because you being priced out of your house.

i feel it, but places like sf and la ain't never really been affordable (compared to places like fresno, arizona, houston, etc.). if black people are voluntarily moving out, why does it matter than they are being replaced by wealthy white dudes who are voluntarily paying 5K a month for a studio apartment knowing damn well it's bums and stickup kids on the corner?

The question is are they voluntarily leaving?
    If its an abandoned area and folks cleaning it up im not mad but you still effect those that are still there
  • shtoopid
    Options
    shtoopid wrote: »

The question is are they voluntarily leaving?
    If its an abandoned area and folks cleaning it up im not mad but you still effect those that are still there

black flight is happening all throughout coastal california. not just the neighborhoods that have been gentrified. for example, it's way less black people in Compton, Watts, and damn near every historically black neighborhood in the state than there was 20, hell even 10 years ago. Only difference is, they're being replaced by equally poor Mexicans instead of rich white people.

Like I asked in the O/P would you live in the gutter spending every penny you earn just to survive, or move to some ? ass city in the central valley where you could live comfortably for a lot less?
  • 808HiLife808
    808HiLife808 Members Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    here, its not as easy to just up and leave. so when youre priced out of EVERYTHING...

2i4yso.jpg
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have you seen the way some people treat their neighborhoods? When's the last time you saw a Dr. Martin Luther King Jr street not full of drugs, gangs, trash, and every incarnation of degradation?

That's not to say that everyone who lives in poor areas contribute to the negative aspects of it, but when police and local government fails to implement procedures to clean it up, something's got to give.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Gentrification made me lots of money and was hands down the best thing to ever happen to me
  • zzombie
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    zzombie wrote: »
    Gentrification made me lots of money

Thanks Donald Chump

IF A COMMUNITY IS TOO weak to hold onto it's neighborhood then perhaps they don't deserve to live there
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blame the poor for being politically weak and powerless....
  • zzombie
    Options
    Blame the poor for being politically weak and powerless....

No blame just hard reality. Why should I not buy old ? looking buildings in west Philadelphia fix them and rent/sell them for as much as I can get?? I put the work in and should profit.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's heavy over here too. Can't/haven't seen any benefits for the poor.
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How can we progress as a people when we have a significant portion of our community who are just fine living in filth? I don't care about how poor whites are living. This is internal. Local government is crucial. The budget is there. But if you rely on outsiders to decide how the money is spent then you shouldn't be shocked when they don't spend it on things important to the community. We need to get involved and stop expecting them to take care of us. You can't force anyone to actually care about you. Fill those local seats with locals.
  • Westie
    Westie Members Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Of course displacing poor people is a great thing. What's wrong with homelessness?
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It causes some real problems here in Philly. I know this lady who absolutely refuses to sell her place even though they always come around knocking on door.

Got a homie from Harlem, and apparently, it's just as bad over there.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pretty much you are just moving the problems to another locale in the city just at the edge so you can the illusion of true prosperity. It's not a good thing at all, when education, social programs, and just plain humanity will bring a lot of people out of it. Some are far too gone, but people haven't looked into the psychology of the human beings, haven't looked into lot of different avenues. Just something to think about.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Gentrification made me lots of money

Thanks Donald Chump

IF A COMMUNITY IS TOO weak to hold onto it's neighborhood then perhaps they don't deserve to live there

i dont disagree with much you say...but you wrong on this one
    if you place enough cancer in any place you will become too "weak" to fight it off
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    It causes some real problems here in Philly. I know this lady who absolutely refuses to sell her place even though they always come around knocking on door.

Got a homie from Harlem, and apparently, it's just as bad over there.

my grandmom lives on taylor st in north philly.

they building up the hood and now cops come around to protect the white people moving in.

and they buying houses for like $30k and people taking it and buying cars and using the rest as a downpayment on a bigger house in the northeast....

giving up a paid for house to get a mortgage or rent. i dont understand that.

and those same houses are going for $200k and up now
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A lot of the weaknesses comes from a lack of knowledge and it's a knowledge game and how to manipulate what's going on at all aspects. We will need to step it up.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    A lot of the weaknesses comes from a lack of knowledge and it's a knowledge game and how to manipulate what's going on at all aspects. We will need to step it up.

its not about stepping up...we need to control the ? who bringing those down who do step up.