Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn!

I always wondered how much Writers/Artists make. I would love to takeover a monthly series as a writer or create my own story. Really hard thinking of new ideas though lol. Feels like everything has already been done in the comic world and no matter what you make people will compare it to something.
  • VIBE
    Options
    apparently, Marvel/DC guys get paid $120 pencil, $80 ink
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    apparently, Marvel/DC guys get paid $120 pencil, $80 ink

Per issue?!
  • VIBE
    Options
    I think so..

I always thought it was per page, but from what they're saying, it's per issue I think..

Only the top guys get paid lore
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    Damn!

I always wondered how much Writers/Artists make. I would love to takeover a monthly series as a writer or create my own story. Really hard thinking of new ideas though lol. Feels like everything has already been done in the comic world and no matter what you make people will compare it to something.

Ima a writer. Let me tell you - no idea is original. The originality comes from your approach to the subject.
  • Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Damn!

Ima a writer. Let me tell you - no idea is original. The originality comes from your approach to the subject.

I'm writing a screenplay that I'm going to film this summer. I ended up buying a book that has the same premise last night. I get mad when I see that.

What type of writing do you do?
  • Paprika
    Options
    And this is an extraordinary amount of money that would never be seen for just one book outside of Avengers, or JL.

The usual rate for Bendis writing is $1.50 a word. Art is different because they get paid for splash pages and general reproduction. I'd say 50 cents to $1.25 is a normal rate.
  • jono
    Options
    Paprika wrote: »
    Damn!

I'm writing a screenplay that I'm going to film this summer. I ended up buying a book that has the same premise last night. I get mad when I see that.

Fiction. I write sci-fi and fantasy novels. Nothing copyrighted or shopped around yet. I just love the process of writing.

I see often stories that have the same premises as things i have started or just finished. I get worried if they are TOO similar but for the most part I realize that some things are inherently similar.

Like alien invasions, vampires, zombies etc.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Damn!

Fiction. I write sci-fi and fantasy novels. Nothing copyrighted or shopped around yet. I just love the process of writing.

I see often stories that have the same premises as things i have started or just finished. I get worried if they are TOO similar but for the most part I realize that some things are inherently similar.

That's dope, did you go to school for writing or is it just something you do in your spare time? I was thinking about going to school for writing, but was too worried about not making enough money to pay off loans and what not but I would love to write screenplays or novels or a comicbook or something. Lots of cool and ? up things go on in this brain of mine.
  • jono
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Damn!

That's dope, did you go to school for writing or is it just something you do in your spare time? I was thinking about going to school for writing, but was too worried about not making enough money to pay off loans and what not but I would love to write screenplays or novels or a comicbook or something. Lots of cool and ? up things go on in this brain of mine.

No bruh. I was acriminal justice major in undergrad and im getting a masters in public administration. Those are very expensive plan Bs.

The is bruh you don't need to go to school to be a writer. It only kills your creativity and thats you most important weapon.

TH BEST THING YOU CAN DO AS A WRITER IS READ. Period. Everything is about storytelling. I had a professor in a gotdamn politics class tell me that: humans are storytellers by nature.

Its all about your style, your voice, your ideas being marketable.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Dope. Thats what i figured. I dont think publishers would give a ? how long you went to school as long as your story is good. Nice. Im gonna brainstorm some ? and work on a story of sorts in my free time.
  • Paprika
    Options
    @Jono if you ever get any copies bound pm me.
  • jono
    Options
    Definitely bruh