AZ >>>>>>>>>>> Jay-Z (Stop Using Popularity In Your Argument)

Options
Logic Last
Logic Last Members Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in The Reason
Jay generally is a notch or two above AZ with production because of his budget but I feel like AZ is actually a combination of Jay and Nas. Brooklyn swag, hustling but lyrical. His voice is unique more so than JayZ and his hooks are solid. Dude just couldn't get out of Nas shadow and couldn't fully switch to Jay's lane because his lyrical fans hate.

Being commercial came easy to AZ. Sugar Hill, Hey AZ, For The Love of Money. AZ just never invested in radio payola and Nas left him for dead.

Do or Die blows Reasonable Doubt out the water. Pieces of a Man is classic. However, it's true AZ has no Blueprint but Blueprint was mostly Kanye. IMO

We banning unpopular opinions? Y'all are ? and bandwagon followers.

Fukk you if you not feelin me.

I know hip hop more than you little twerps. Been on this board before you were born. Check the date you fakkots.

Comments

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you are going to assert that, "AZ>>>Jay Z" you have to list your criteria for making such a judgement.

Is he batter at rapping, is he more lyrical, does he have a better voice, a better discography, does he have abetter ear for beats?

In particular, what is he better at?
  • juelz21
    juelz21 Members Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    technically az is better imo but like dude 5 grand said u got to state specifically what he is better at.
  • Logic Last
    Options
    macadonwoo wrote: »

I know hip hop more than you little twerps. Been on this board before you were born. Check the date you fakkots.

Easy Troy Ave , calm down bruh

Nah, this board is wack, nikkaz run to the mods to ban me because my opinion is unpopular? It's disgusting.
  • Logic Last
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    If you are going to assert that, "AZ>>>Jay Z" you have to list your criteria for making such a judgement.

Is he batter at rapping, is he more lyrical, does he have a better voice, a better discography, does he have abetter ear for beats?

This is a counter punch thread. Why do people primarily like Jay better?
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Well, I can think of a few reasons;

1. Jay Z has more songs that you hear on the radio

2. Jay Z has more songs that you'd hear in a Hip Hop club. He also has more songs that would make a clubgoer rush the dance floor.

3. Jay Z sells more records and gets more media attention

4. Jay Z has more albums that people consider "classic".

5. AZ, while I admit is a talented rapper, doesn't have as many classic singles as Jay. AZ is a good rapper but he doesn't make classic songs, he just spits hot 16 bar verses.
  • Logic Last
    Options

2. Jay Z has more songs that you'd hear in a Hip Hop club. He also has more songs that would make a clubgoer rush the dance floor.

5. AZ, while I admit is a talented rapper, doesn't have as many classic singles as Jay. AZ is a good rapper but he doesn't make classic songs, he just spits hot 16 bar verses.

That's my point, once you subtract media popularity there's nothing left to pull him ahead of AZ. If radio and media actually played his songs he would be more popular than Jay. AZ just never played the payola game
  • Logic Last
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    20 years ago this wouldn't have been as far fetched of a comparison. Hov was just more consistent than AZ over the years.

Nah, those Volume albums were terrible
  • lordstanley
    lordstanley Members Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay is more charasmatic more creative better ear for beats better songwriter more diverse subject matter...az is one of the nicest to do it tho and he spit one of the illest verses ever on life's a ?
  • macadonwoo
    macadonwoo Members Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    macadonwoo wrote: »

Easy Troy Ave , calm down bruh

Nah, this board is wack, nikkaz run to the mods to ban me because my opinion is unpopular? It's disgusting.

You wanna talk about unpopular opinions , one of my favorite rappers is Ja Rule , people been hurting their hands pressing the Wack and feelings buttons on my ? since I been posting here LOL !
    Somehow I never been banned. It might be the way you be presenting your opinions doggie ???

Watch me get banned now for saying I like Ja lol
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's my point, once you subtract media popularity there's nothing left to pull him ahead of AZ. If radio and media actually played his songs he would be more popular than Jay. AZ just never played the payola game

? it I'll play along.

AZ is like Ray Allen. Top 3/5 best shooters all time but not much else, ie great lyricist.

Jay-Z is like Lebron or Magic. All Around great, can pass, shoot, rebound etc.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    20 years ago this wouldn't have been as far fetched of a comparison. Hov was just more consistent than AZ over the years.

Nah, those Volume albums were terrible

Overrated definitely
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I got A above Jay but both top 10
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AZ has a superb catalogue of music. I think an argument can be made comparing Doe Or Die to Reasonable Doubt. AZ's later work is better than Jay's later albums, but early on Jay was better IMO. AZ is stylistically the closest thing to G Rap with his scheme and flow. Anyway, good conversation.
  • Mr 202
    Mr 202 Members Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First album ? loved me cos they thought I was poor, now that I'm successful the industry don't love me no more.

If Jay was broke with the same catalog and without the pop hits y'all ? will call him GOAT.
    Az is nice but not top tier.. There's only a selected few on that Level.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Mr 202 wrote: »
    First album ? loved me cos they thought I was poor, now that I'm successful the industry don't love me no more.

If Jay was broke with the same catalog and without the pop hits y'all ? will call him GOAT.

Cosign

AZ is nice and his Life's a ? verse is legendary. Doe or Die is as good as Reasonable Doubt, but there's something to be said about an MC that has the ability to break into pop culture without watering down his music, which Jay did flawlessly in the middle of his career. Blueprint 1 was a perfect balance between real, ? Hip Hop with a few radio singles.

Jay Z is an A list rapper, AZ, while I admit he's nice with the pen, isn't an A list rapper.

I'd bet most people in middle America don't even know who AZ is.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Cosign

AZ is nice and his Life's a ? verse is legendary. Doe or Die is as good as Reasonable Doubt, but there's something to be said about an MC that has the ability to break into pop culture without watering down his music, which Jay did flawlessly in the middle of his career. Blueprint 1 was a perfect balance between real, ? Hip Hop with a few radio singles.

By his own admission Jay watered and dumbed down his music for mainstream success. His biggest selling album had two commercial singles One had the Annie Sample the other was a part of The Rush Hour Soundtrack.
    Jay Z is an A list rapper, AZ, while I admit he's nice with the pen, isn't an A list rapper.

So being known in middle america, having radio singles and mainstream success determines whose the better rapper now?

• endboss
    endboss Members Posts: 879 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whats wrong, did somebody stole your timbs and put sandals there?
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Verse for verse jigga would hurt azilla put rather unique up against devils or if we're going by discography put rather unique up against lyrical exercise. And if AZ wins that round Jay has a slew of other ? that's gonna smother az, Jay put in too much work for debates like this and AZ is great but Jay is a whole different level of great
  • Logic Last
    Options
    Mr 202 wrote: »

Cosign

No, you're still using his popularity as a crutch to help him. If AZ did Money, Cash, Hoes y'all would laugh him off the block