Study Says Drake’s Endorsement of Toronto Worth $3 Billion

Options
DOPEdweebz
DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
edited June 2016 in The Reason
vvn1dd134ht6.jpeg

DJBooth.Net
5 days ago by brokencool

Drake's clearly the 6 ? , but how much is a deity's co-sign actually worth to the city of Toronto when it comes to endorsing the city on a global scale? The Toronto Star set out to conduct its own research and the results are staggering.

Working with a research firm the paper considered Drizzy’s massive social following, cumulative YouTube views, major appearances in the media (such as his recent stand on Saturday Night Live) and references to the city in his music - even the “Views” album cover with Drake perched high above the city on the CN Tower. Ultimately, they determined that the total value of this exposure to the city was an astonishing $3 billion, calculating that in order for city of Toronto to buy that kind of exposure it would cost an unfeasible $300 million in advertising. They then multiplied that $300 million figure by 10 due to Drake’s endorsements and mentions coming from a place of authenticity and the fact that he is considered an A-list celebrity. Perhaps some fuzzy math, but whether or not his worth is exactly $3 billion, the point is it's a lot.

“We knew there was a value to what he was doing, but we hadn’t put a dollar figure on that, but I guess we’ve seen that the price of cool is priceless,” says Toronto city councillor Michael Thompson, the chair of Toronto’s economic development and culture committee, and also the co-chair of the city’s music advisory council. “Over the years we’ve really developed a sense of self. The city has come of age because of its diversity and Drake is a great example of that,” affirmed Thompson. “Moreover, the way he has conducted himself and the way he represents himself has benefited Toronto.”

There was a time not long ago when a rapper mentioning they were from Toronto or Canada had a negative impact on their career (see examples such as Choclair or Saukrates) and did very little to raise the profile of rap music north of the border. But by combining songs with mainstream appeal, a massive internet presence and an unwavering stance to prop up his hometown (from the Raptors organization to all the Toronto natives employed by OVO), Drake's provided some real, tangible branding growth and economic value to the city on a global scale.

By @brokencool, native Torontonian

Illustration by Samona

Comments

• blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • optimistic
    optimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Somebody actually did a study? But why?
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    Didn't read but I believe it. Absolutely no one cared about Toronto before Drake

Nah, Toronto was still a dope city to travel to

It was Known for its multi-cultural presence and a business capital of the world

But, it was granted a lot more exposure, after Drake endorsed it and start calling it the "Six"

He runs that city like Lebron runs Cleveland

London and New York>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Toronto in both categories you listed
    Really can't be argued
  • Ghost313
    Ghost313 Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Didn't read but I believe it. Absolutely no one cared about Toronto before Drake

I used to ? with,Choclair and Kardinal Offishall and always wanted.to hit.Caribana while Drake was rolling in wheel chairs.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    Ghost313 wrote: »

I used to ? with,Choclair and Kardinal Offishall and always wanted.to hit.Caribana while Drake was rolling in wheel chairs.

You from Detroit tho

The only reason I thought about Toronto or Canada in general is because i have family there
  • Ghost313
    Ghost313 Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ghost313 wrote: »

You from Detroit tho

The only reason I thought about Toronto or Canada in general is because i have family there

? , Toronto is like Chicago/New York of Canada. It's a dope city. But I get your point.
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nah, Toronto was still a dope city to travel to

It was Known for its multi-cultural presence and a business capital of the world

But, it was granted a lot more exposure, after Drake endorsed it and start calling it the "Six"

He runs that city like Lebron runs Cleveland

London and New York>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Toronto in both categories you listed
    Really can't be argued

I'm saying Toronto can hold it's own and it's still a place to visit

Now you're talking about two highly publicized places

New York/Statue of Liberty is the symbol and has been romanticized by the public/media as the symbol of liberty and justice

London is of the most popular places in Europe and in the world period

and has a whole lot more history than Toronto

So it's hard to compare or compete with major cities like those

Bigger cities and more people

• The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didnt read but Drake should be pushing Billionaire status in his career eventually, with this kind of impact and influence.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol. This ? @AggyAF can't stand anything Toronto.

666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666

tumblr_m525smQkOM1rqvmvmo1_500.gif
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »
    Didnt read but Drake should be pushing Billionaire status in his career eventually, with this kind of impact and influence.

Not unless he finds a way to strong arm majority ownership from the Raptors or Blue Jays.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    *shrugs* not going to argue back and forth
  • KingFreeman
    Options

Always pump faking.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why'd they multiply the 300m by 10 though?
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Options
    Why'd they multiply the 300m by 10 though?

Canadian Math
  • KingFreeman
    Options

Not unless he finds a way to strong arm majority ownership from the Raptors or Blue Jays.

I don't think he could ever afford to ? with Rogers or Bell (rogers and bell own the raptors, leafs and tfc. rogers own the jays outright) At best he could get a small stake. He has rights to raptors merchandising tho. That's how he gets paid from them.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    If you add the tourism generated from All Star weekend and the sports memorabilia sold off the "6" and catchphrases it's not far fetched. I cannot hate.

"This year’s events will generate anywhere from $80 million to $100 million for the city of Toronto, MacKenzie said, citing various estimates."

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2016/02/12/nba-all-star-weekend-2016-invades-toronto.html

Far fetched
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

LMFAO @ bolded
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Options

I don't think he could ever afford to ? with Rogers or Bell (rogers and bell own the raptors, leafs and tfc. rogers own the jays outright) At best he could get a small stake. He has rights to raptors merchandising tho. That's how he gets paid from them.

No ? ? that was my point.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

Always pump faking.

Always in your feelings .
    You'll be alright tho