The Most Powerful People in Hollywood

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
The THR 100: Hollywood Reporter's Most Powerful People in Entertainment
The THR 100: Hollywood Reporter's Most Powerful People in Entertainment

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/thr-100-hollywood-reporters-powerful-904591/item/lin-manuel-miranda-thr-100-904658

4:50 AM 6/22/2016 by THR Staff and Edited by Alison Brower

THR presents its first ranking of the industry's most powerful execs, creatives, stars, producers, directors and reps.

_iger_bonnie_hammer_and_kevin_hart_split.jpg
Reported by Matthew Belloni, Patrick Brzeski, Scott Feinberg, Rebecca Ford, Stephen Galloway, Marisa Guthrie, Natalie Jarvey, Gregg Kilday, Borys Kit, Kim Masters, Pamela McClintock, Michael O'Connell, Lacey Rose, Tatiana Siegel and Ben Svetkey

right-496932138-p_2016.jpg
25. Michael Lynton, CEO, Sony  Entertainment

He's somewhat removed from Hollywood, but the fate of Sony's movie, TV and music divisions rests with the 56-year-old exec, who survived the 2014 hack and since has been fighting to right an unsteady ship, placing Tom Rothman at the helm of the film studio.

BIG WIN Acquiring Michael Jackson's 50 percent stake in Sony/ATV for $750 million.

BIG BET Handing TV operations to Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht in the wake of Steve Mosko's exit.

What's the least powerful thing about your life?
Walking my dog.

I can't get through a day without …
A cup of coffee.

Who's your most important adviser?
My wife.

The first powerful person I ever met was …
Pele.

richard_plepler_and_casey_bloys-h_2016.jpg
24. Richard Plepler and Casey Bloys, CEO; President of programming, HBO

Despite setbacks (Vinyl, True Detective) that led to the replacement in May of Michael Lombardo with Bloys, 44, the "crown jewel" of Time Warner — run since 2012 by Plepler, 57 — contributed 24 percent of the company's $8.1 billion 2015 EBITDA and continues to be a first stop for talent thanks to lavish budgets and awards pedigree.

BIG WIN A record 43 primetime Emmys.

BIG BET Bill Simmons' talker Any Given Wednesday (June 22).

PLEPLER Trying to stay current with my daughter's social media.

PLEPLER My newspaper addiction, which involves reading more papers that probably necessary.

PLEPLER Not even close: my wife.

In high school, I was …
PLEPLER Trying to pretend I was as good a tennis player as John McEnroe.

The first powerful person I ever met was ...
PLEPLER Teddy Kennedy in the early '70s, through family friends.

gettyimages-529843904-p_2016.jpg
23. Jennifer Lawrence, Actress

At only 25, she's the highest-earning, most-sought-after actress in Hollywood, with four Oscar nominations and one win, for Silver Linings Playbook. Her essay in Lena Dunham's newsletter in October put a megaphone to the gender pay inequity discussion ("When the Sony hack happened and I found out how much less I was being paid than the lucky people with ? , I didn’t get angry," it begins).

BIG WIN Adding $653 million to the Hunger Games haul with the final installment.

BIG BET Her $20 million Passengers paycheck represents about 20 percent of the film's budget.

gettyimages-492685210-p_2016.jpg
22. Oprah Winfrey, CEO, OWN

A self-made billionaire with unparalleled cultural and political cachet, Winfrey, 62, has seen her once-ailing OWN's ratings rise double digits thanks to a cadre of popular Tyler Perry shows. In June, her Broadway revival of The Color Purple, for which Winfrey serves as a producer, won a Tony.

BIG WIN OWN now can claim momentum and prestige: a Winfrey vehicle (Greenleaf) debuted June 21 and an Ava DuVernay-directed show is in the works for fall.

BIG BET Acting on Greenleaf.

Picking up ? . I have five dogs — gotta do it.

In high school, I was …
Voted "most popular." When I came home to tell my dad, he said, "Who was voted 'most likely to succeed'? That's the girl who's going places.”

What's your hidden talent?
Counseling. I would have made a great therapist and saved patients a lot of time!

gettyimages-538535458-h_2016.jpg
21. J.J. Abrams, Director/producer

The go-to guy for breathing new life into franchises — Mission: Impossible, Star Trek, Star Wars — Abrams, 49, also has a rich first-look deal at Paramount through 2018 and is known for making "secret" movies like the recent hit 10 Cloverfield Lane, which he produced. Abrams also is a prolific salesman in TV, having helped set up Showtime's Roadies and HBO's Westworld, among others.

BIG WIN Star Wars: The Force Awakens became the third-biggest movie of all time.

BIG BET The much-delayed Westworld. He produced Star Trek Beyond (July), handing the directing reins to Justin Lin, and he's keeping an eye on Rian Johnson, who's helming Star Wars: Episode VIII, due in 2017.

Comments

• Maximus Rex
    Options
    kathleen_kennedy.jpg
    20. Kathleen Kennedy, President, Lucasfilm

Kennedy, 63, fulfilled her mission of re-energizing one of the planet's most valuable franchises with Star Wars: The Force Awakens, a juggernaut that pulled in more than $2 billion at the box office alone. She's now charged with managing the Star Wars franchise and relaunching Indiana Jones with a fifth film directed by longtime collaborator Steven Spielberg and starring Harrison Ford.

BIG WIN See: $2 billion.

BIG BET December's first Star Wars spinoff, Rogue One, which has undergone reshoots.

richard_lovett_kevin_huvane_bryan_lourd_split-h2016.jpg
    19. Richard Lovett, Kevin Huvane and Bryan Lourd, Managing partners, CAA

The Young Turks have become the industry establishment. Lovett, 56, Huvane, 57, and Lourd, 55, run an 1,800-employee, 5,000-client mega-agency from the sleek "Death Star" building in Century City. With an industry-leading motion picture division (Jennifer Lawrence, J.J. Abrams), a TV unit that packaged Empire, Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, dominant positions in music and sports and even a merchant bank (Evolution), CAA competes in each category of representation around the world. Since selling 52 percent of the agency to TPG Capital in 2014, CAA has failed to grow as quickly as archrival WME-IMG has as they both consider possible IPOs, but it's still a hugely influential company with its tentacles in every aspect of entertainment.

BIG WIN CAA repped more Primetime Emmy nominees than any other agency.

BIG BET Recent acquisitions in branding and sports.

HUVANE
    WTRMLN WTR.

HUVANE
    My father.

If I could have lunch with anyone, living or dead, I'd choose …
    HUVANE
    Teddy Roosevelt.

HUVANE
    Ed Koch.

gettyimages-479027644-p_2016.jpg
    18. Kevin Feige, President, Marvel Studios

Feige, 43, elevated the comic book movie to an art form (and a lucrative business model) that inspires devout followers and pale imitators. The rare auteur-producer, he also pioneered the "cinematic universe" model of sequels and spinoffs that has been mimicked throughout Hollywood.

BIG WIN Even more impressive than Captain America: Civil War's $1.1 billion gross was Feige's wresting control of Marvel Studios from his longtime boss, CEO Ike Perlmutter; Feige now reports to Alan Horn.

BIG BET Black Panther, the first big superhero film with a black star and director.

Jack Kirby.

Lauren Shuler Donner.

Have you seen Hamilton and how many times?
    Once.

What is your go-to meal at your commissary?
    Mickey Waffles.

gettyimages-513022766-p_2016.jpg
    17. John Lasseter, Chief creative officer, Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios

Lasseter, 59, not only made Pixar into a powerhouse but also revived Disney's animation division with such hits as Frozen after the studio bought Pixar 10 years ago. Lasseter, who works alongside Pixar co-founder Ed Catmull, is not a traditional suit (in fact he rarely wears them, preferring Hawaiian shirts) as he continues to write and direct (Cars 3 is slated for next year). And, as principal creative advisor for Walt Disney Imagineering, he's a key driver in theme park innovation, merchandising and global pop culture.

BIG WIN Pixar's Oscar winner Inside Out grossed $857 million, Disney Animation's Zootopia has racked up more than $1 billion worldwide, and Pixar's new hit Finding Dory could do the same.

BIG BET November's Moana, featuring Dwayne Johnson and songs by Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda.

Being a farmer and growing grapes. Mother Nature is always in charge.

Buying something on the internet, my wife says.

My wife, Nancy.

In high school, I was…
    A total art nerd.

I can be both engineer and fireman on a steam engine.

If I could have lunch with anyone, living or dead, I'd choose…
    Walt Disney.

The first powerful person I ever met was…
    Steve Jobs.

Only once, but that’s OK because we get to work with Lin-Manuel Miranda weekly on Moana.

Salmon over vegetables, with a side of tater tots.

Power_100_StevenSpielberg.jpg
    16. Steven Spielberg, Director/producer

Spielberg, 69, shored up his creative future this year as he partnered with Jeff Skoll to launch Amblin Partners with $800 million in equity and debt, including $50 million from the director-producer himself. With Universal distributing (Spielberg's offices never physically left the studio lot), Amblin will make family movies, adult fare under the DreamWorks banner and socially conscious films under the Participant Media name. In addition to being the most financially successful director ever, he also has had success in television as producer of such shows as the Peabody-winning The Americans.

BIG WIN Megahit Jurassic World, which Spielberg executive produced, plus his directorial effort Bridge of Spies (six Oscar nominations and a win for Mark Rylance).

BIG BET The BFG (July 1), then 2018's Ready Player One for Warner Bros.

• Maximus Rex
    Options
    stacey_snider_emma_watts_and_jim_gianopulos-split-h_2016.jpg
    15. Stacey Snider, Emma Watts and Jim Gianopulos
    Co-chairman; President of production; Chairman and CEO, 20th Century Fox

With her rise in the coming months to chairman and CEO (as Gianopulos, 64, moves into an undefined "strategic role"), Snider, 55, will preside over the second-hottest studio at the 2016 box office (after Disney). Watts, 46, has become the envy of many of her counterparts at rival studios thanks to hits like The Martian ($630 million).

BIG WIN Deadpool ($778 million), another Watts film, is the top-grossing R-rated title ever.

BIG BET Will the executive shakeup work out? Fox's future is all about the next Avatar films — and filmmaker James Cameron's strongest relationship at the studio is with Gianopulos.

SNIDER
    I don’t think about my life in terms of power. I think about my life in terms of meaning.
    WATTS The list expands daily.
    GIANOPULOS Managing my really smart and independent daughters.

SNIDER
    Quiet time to think (and tea!).
    WATTS Many espressos.
    GIANOPULOS Sugar-free Red Bull. (I know, don't tell me.)

SNIDER
    My husband, Gary Jones.
    WATTS Jonathan Krauss.
    GIANOPULOS My wife, Ann, who is amazing, beloved by all (and certainly by me) and always tells me the truth while making it easier to accept.

In high school, I was …
    SNIDER
    A lot like I am today.
    WATTS Younger.
    GIANOPULOS In a Rolling Stones cover band (and unsuccessfully pretending to be Keith Richards).

SNIDER
    I can change from work clothes to sweats in record time.
    WATTS A really loud two-fingered whistle.
    GIANOPULOS I can discern meaning in half-a-dozen languages I don't speak.

SNIDER
    Martin Luther King Jr.
    WATTS Vanessa Nadal and Lin-Manuel Miranda.
    GIANOPULOS Ernest Hemingway, and he could pick the place.

SNIDER
    My teachers at Friends' Central School had the greatest influence on my life (after my parents). But, given their Quaker affiliation, they would not have considered themselves powerful.
    WATTS Diane Von Furstenberg.
    GIANOPULOS My father, who overcame odds that still humble anything I've done. And also, the Queen of England (but not at the same time).

SNIDER
    Yes, off-Broadway and then on Broadway.
    WATTS Yes, I love it! I've been twice.
    GIANOPULOS Yes, I've seen Hamilton, and even managed to close my dropped jaw long enough to think of something to say to Lin-Manuel Miranda. I told him I had never experienced anything so exalted that so surpassed its expectation.

gettyimages-524145314-p_2016.jpg
    14. Bonnie Hammer, Chairman, NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment

New York-based Hammer, 65, may not devote much time to Hollywood schmoozing, but she runs 10 cable networks (USA, Syfy and Bravo, among them) and two studios that together are the largest profit contributor to NBCUniversal — $2.8 billion in 2015, her portfolio’s 12th straight year of growth.

BIG WIN Mr. Robot, USA Network’s first serious awards contender.

BIG BET An executive reshuffling that consolidates her networks under Chris McCumber and Frances Berwick.

My adorable Leonberger puppy is currently in total control of my household, disrupting everything from my sleep schedule to the use of the vacuum cleaner to basic sanitary upkeep (don't ask). At 15 weeks old, he already thinks he's the den leader.

In high school, I was…
    Captain of the cheerleading squad. It's a skill set I still find useful in rooting for my team — sometimes jumping up and down, but without the pompoms.

What’s your hidden talent?
    The ability to convince people that what you'd like done was their idea all along.

If I could have lunch with anyone, living or dead, I’d choose…
    Joan Rivers. Not only do I miss her humor, warmth and kindness, but nobody had more fun zinging the powers that be than she did. She'd be in her glory with the insanity of the current election cycle!

gettyimages-496451208-h_2016.jpg
    13. Ari Emanuel and Patrick Whitesell, Co-CEOs, WME

Since WME's $2.4  billion acquisition of sports and fashion powerhouse IMG in 2014, Emanuel, 55, and Whitesell, 51 — backed by majority owner Silver Lake — have been on a buying spree, branching into businesses as diverse as Professional Bull Riders and Miss Universe (purchased from former client Donald Trump) and launching a new China venture with Sequoia and Tencent. Adam Venit’s film group has big stars (Ben Affleck, Emma Stone), and Rick Rosen's TV division reps top creators (? Wolf, Greg Berlanti), but it's WME’s diversification, size and the ambition of its hard-charging founders that set it apart from agency rivals.

BIG WIN Softbank poured $250 million into WME-IMG in March, valuing the company at $5.5 billion.

BIG BET Is a purchase of the UFC next?

WHITESELL Anyone who really knows me knows my wife and kids have the real power!

EMANUEL
    Exercising.
    WHITESELL Finding something that genuinely makes me laugh.

EMANUEL
    My partners Patrick Whitesell, Egon Durban, David Geffen, Ron Perelman, Bob Kraft.
    WHITESELL Ari Emanuel, Egon Durban.

In high school, I was…
    EMANUEL
    A wrestler.

EMANUEL
    My ADHD.
    WHITESELL Still searching for it.
  • Maximus Rex
    Options
    gettyimages-514707602-h_2016.jpg
    12. Dana Walden and Gary Newman, Co-CEOs and chairmen, Fox TV Group

Commanding one of the most prolific studios (27 series — including hot property Empire — on broadcast networks alone) and rebuilding a Fox network that just climbed out of fourth place, Walden, 51, and Newman, 62, are responsible for cable breakouts (The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story), top producers (Ryan Murphy, Seth MacFarlane) and north of $7 billion in revenue for parent 21st Century Fox (it doesn’t release profits).

BIG WIN Synergy superstars Walden and Newman own 10 of the 11 scripted shows they just ordered to series.

BIG BET 24 reboot Legacy in the post-Super Bowl slot.

NEWMAN
    Our two little fluffy, white dogs.
    WALDEN The way I dress on weekends.

NEWMAN
    A conversation with my kids.
    WALDEN My tall, nonfat, half-sweetened green tea latte from Starbucks.

NEWMAN
    My partner, Dana, at work and my wife, Jeanne, at home.
    WALDEN My partner, Gary, and Ryan Murphy.

In high school, I was …
    NEWMAN
    A ? .
    WALDEN A TV addict.

NEWMAN
    My shooting touch on the basketball court.
    WALDEN I can whistle really loudly. I'm the one everyone turns to when you need to quiet a room.

NEWMAN
    A sandwich at the turn at Pinehurst with Ben Hogan.
    WALDEN My parents. Always.

NEWMAN
    My dad. He could command respect and attention from us without ever raising his voice.
    WALDEN Lucie Salhany.[/i]

jeff_shell_donna_langley_ron_meyer.jpg
    11. Jeff Shell, Donna Langley and Ron Meyer
    Chairman, Universal Filmed Entertainment; Chairman, Universal Pictures; Vice chairman, NBCU

In 2015, Universal's films scored an industry record $6.9 billion worldwide. For 2016, its leaders are counting on a strong second half beginning with The Secret Life of Pets (July 8). Meyer, 71, uses his longtime industry relationships to assist rising star Shell, 50, and Langley, 48, as he did on the deal to bring Steven Spielberg's Amblin Partners into the fold. Langley will help manage the release and marketing of films from Spielberg's shop as well as franchises including Fifty Shades, Fast & Furious and Jason Bourne.

"Every film is a business that you have to get up and off the ground and convince people to go and buy your product. You've got a giant set of distribution companies across the world in a morphing business, and then, at the core, you're making art and dealing with artists, and that's often a challenge," Shell tells THR. "TV has a rhythm. You have a pilot season, you have upfronts. There's no rhythm in the movie business; it's just every week or two weeks there's a movie to launch or greenlight or develop — and that's from now until the end of eternity."

BIG WIN Jurassic World stomped to $1.67 billion worldwide after languishing for years in development.

BIG BET Absorbing new purchase DreamWorks Animation into the studio's animation operation alongside Illumination and launching a monsters universe of films with Tom Cruise starrer The Mummy in June 2017.

LANGLEY
    When Wi-Fi is not available.
    MEYER My children. I'm lucky when any of them listen to me.

LANGLEY
    Seeing my children.
    MEYER I’m going to regret saying this, but returning every email and phone call.

LANGLEY
    At work, Jimmy Horowitz. In life, my husband.
    MEYER David Geffen.

In high school, I was…
    LANGLEY
    Very happy.
    MEYER A complete ? up. I dropped out of high school, and I never went to college.

MEYER
    I can box and shoot pool. I've played pool since I was 12 years old. I can hold my own against professionals and beat everybody else.

LANGLEY
    Queen Victoria.
    MEYER Anwar Sadat.

LANGLEY
    Yes, I saw it at The Public Theater before it went to Broadway.

LANGLEY[/b] Chinese Chicken Salad, no modifications. As it comes.
    MEYER Chinese chicken salad. I like extra dressing.

gettyimages-518319046-p_2016.jpg
    10. Leonardo DiCaprio, Actor/producer

He may be the last of the old-fashioned movie stars — or at least the last who can still open a non-franchise film on his own. The Revenant was practically a one-man show (except for brief appearances by Tom Hardy and the infamous bear) and yet it grossed $532 million globally, mostly because 41-year-old DiCaprio was in it. He also is making his mark as a philanthropist with a focus on environmental issues.

BIG WIN His long-awaited Oscar, his first win in five nominations.

BIG BET Taking time off from acting to make more environmental documentaries for Netflix — the last one, Virunga, got an Oscar nomination — as part of his multiyear, nonfiction partnership with the streaming company.

gettyimages-504465604-p_2016.jpg
    9. Alan Horn, Chairman, Walt  Disney Studios

As one of the industry's elder statesmen, the 73-year-old Horn is the perfect man to oversee the Disney silos: Marvel, Lucasfilm, Disney Animation and Pixar. This past year, his prize project was The Jungle Book ("I've loved Kipling's Jungle Book since I was 10 years old, and the opportunity to marry that with The Walt Disney interpretation from 1967 was irresistible," he tells THR). He got the film on track at Disney (beating his former studio home, Warner Bros., which delayed its own version) and watched a $922 million gross roll in.

BIG WIN Alice Through the Looking Glass aside, Disney may have four billion-dollar grossers in 2016: Zootopia, Captain America: Civil War, Finding Dory and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

BIG BET Can Pete's Dragon (Aug. 12) continue the remake hot streak?

I can't get through a day without…
    Two cups of coffee in the morning.

My wife, Cindy.

In high school, I was…
    Working.

Humor.

Abraham Lincoln.

Jerry Perenchio.

Yes, once.
  • Maximus Rex
    Options
    gettyimages-537771344-p_2016.jpg
    8. Peter Rice, Chairman and CEO, Fox  Networks Group

Rice, 49, the top Fox executive not named Murdoch, oversees its broadcast and cable channels, TV studio, sports networks and international TV operation. Rice's portfolio delivered about two-thirds of Fox's revenue in 2015 and is a top priority of James and Lachlan, who've known the 30-year Fox veteran for decades. Adding to his influence, Rice is rumored as a possible replacement for Bob Iger at Disney due to his background in film (he once ran Fox Searchlight) and his current TV duties.

BIG WIN The acquisition of National Geographic Partners gives Rice a new stream of prestige content.

BIG BET Super Bowl LI will be his second swing at TV's top annual event.

My son's calculus homework

My wife, Megan.

Rupert.

The first powerful person I met was…
    On my first day, in literally my first hour, as a 20-year-old intern at Fox, I met Jesse "The Body" Ventura, Bill Duke and Arnold Schwarzenegger, who strode into Cynthia Wick's office smoking cigars and pointed intimidatingly at me, her new intern, demanding that I go see "Pre-date-tor." I went to the movie [Predator], realized that "I ain't got time to bleed," and was hooked on Hollywood as a career path. Thank you, Jesse, Bill, Arnold and Cynthia.

gettyimages-478356024-h_2016.jpghttp://cdn5.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/list_landscape_960x541/2016/06/gettyimages-478356024-h_2016.jpg[/img]
    7. Jeff Bewkes, Chairman and CEO, Time Warner

Bewkes, 64, has streamlined the company, which includes Turner Broadcasting, HBO and Warner Bros., spinning off units and refocusing on content. Still, Warners faces ongoing struggles (its effort to launch a DC Comics universe with Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice underwhelmed despite grossing $873 million worldwide. TBS and TNT (which are rebuilding their original programming brands under Kevin Reilly) face ratings challenges and HBO still is struggling to dig out of a creative fallow period with Game of Thrones, its lone drama hit. His board in January gave Bewkes a critical vote of confidence, extending his contract three more years through 2020.

BIG WIN The $15-a-month HBO Now and a series of successful OTT launches in international markets have positioned the company for global expansion.

BIG BET Warners' health hinges on the DC tentpoles, with Suicide Squad coming in August and back-to-back Justice League movies now shooting.

shari_redstone_and_sumner_redstone-split-h_2016_0.jpg
    6. Shari Redstone and Sumner Redstone
    President, national amusements, and vice chair, Viacom and CBS Boards; Chairman emeritus, Viacom and CBS Corp.

If anyone seems positioned to come out on top of the Redstone soap opera, it's Shari, 62, who has proven herself a cagey strategist — just like her father.

BIG WIN In May, Sumner, 93, and Shari squeezed Viacom CEO Philippe Dauman from the board of National Amusements — which controls both Viacom (home of Paramount, MTV and Comedy Central) and CBS — and hampered Dauman's plan to sell off a portion of the film studio.

BIG BET Dauman is suing, so the Redstones haven't won yet. Some speculate that Shari would like to see Viacom and CBS recombined (with CBS' Leslie Moonves running the merged company), a scheme that could dramatically increase her power.

gettyimages-537771240-p_2016.jpg
    5. Ted Sarandos, Chief content officer, Netflix

As one agency partner noted, there isn't a meal in Hollywood where Netflix isn't discussed. Sarandos, 51, whose rise to the upper echelon of this list would have been unthinkable before the premiere of his first big-swing series House of Cards in 2013, raised the ante for output this year with a $5 billion content budget. In the process, he has upended the TV ecosystem and turned Netflix into perhaps the most sought-after destination for creators who want big budgets and bigger creative freedoms. Now the company, which delivers $6.8 billion in annual revenue (but a small fraction of that in profit), looks to do the same in film with projects from Will Smith, Brad Pitt and Adam ? .

BIG WIN More than 600 hours of programming will roll out this year for 81 million-plus global subscribers.

BIG BET Brad Pitt's $60 million feature War Machine later this year.

I just bought my first new car in 12 years.

My father-in-law, Clarence Avant.

In high school, I was…
    Editor of the school newspaper.

Brandon Tartifkoff.

In 1992, I worked on Jerry's Brown campaign and got to know him back then.

gettyimages-491834222-p_2016.jpg
    4. Steve Burke CEO, NBCUniversal and senior executive vp, Comcast Corp.

Burke, 57, steers a global behemoth ($6.4 billion in operating cash flow, up 15 percent in 2015) that's bucking the downward trend of old media — though NBCU's cable portfolio continues to struggle. Major investments in film led to a record 2015, including megahits Jurassic World and Furious 7, and NBC continues to top broadcast in the key 18-to-49 demo.

BIG WIN Since the Comcast acquisition in 2011, NBCUniversal cash flow has doubled. On a more granular level, Burke has deftly managed delicate, at times thorny talent issues, including the transition from Jay Leno to Jimmy Fallon, Brian Williams' demotion at NBC News and Steven Spielberg's return to Universal Pictures.

BIG BET The planned $3.87 billion acquisition of DreamWorks Animation, which would put classic DreamWorks franchises such as Shrek and Kung Fu Panda under one roof with Universal's Minions and Despicable Me, while conferring a massive competitive shot against rival Walt Disney Co., not just in films but in merchandising and theme park tie-ins. The deal received Department of Justice approval June 21.

Fly fishing in Montana.

Brian Roberts.
  • Maximus Rex
    edited July 2016
    Options
    gettyimages-532785402-p_2016.jpg
    3. Leslie Moonves, President and CEO, CBS Corp.

The hands-on overlord of CBS Corp. has seen his company's stock rise 12 percent this year as its broadcast network rounded out the most recent season No. 1 in total viewers for the 13th time in 14 seasons thanks to a slate of broad hits including NCIS, Survivor and The Big Bang Theory. As Sumner Redstone's other company, Viacom, has spiraled, CBS posted record first-quarter results, with revenue and operating income up 10 percent and 16 percent, respectively. Additionally, Moonves, 66, has been aggressively expanding Showtime's international and streaming reach under cable chief David Nevins, and is beefing up CBS' own All Access streaming service. He jokes that he can't get through the day without "using a quote from The Godfather."

BIG WIN Hand-plucking then-largely unknown James Corden as CBS' newest Late Late Show host.

BIG BET Can All Access be a contender with 2017 series Star Trek and a Good Wife spinoff?

Hanging out with my 6-year-old son.

Joe Ianniello. [COO, CBS Corp.]

In high school, I...
    Didn't stand out in any way.

Muhammad Ali.[/i]

gettyimages-513908832-h_2016.jpg
    2. James Murdoch, Lachlan Murdoch and Rupert Murdoch
    CEO; Executive chairman; Executive chairman, 21st Century Fox

Rupert, 85, handed the reins to sons James, 43, and Lachlan, 44, last summer with minimal drama. Now, the hard part: growing an entertainment behemoth that includes film and TV studios; the Fox network, Fox News, FX and Fox Sports; a stake in Hulu; and a share of the Sky pay TV services throughout Europe — all of which generated $29 billion in revenue and $6.7 billion in profit in fiscal 2015. The breadth and diversity of the Murdoch empire make James and Lachlan the most influential media executives who haven’t announced their retirement. Their early moves include buying the National Geographic brand and network and focusing on sharpening TV audience measurement. Time will tell if they prove as visionary as their father, but they have a far better platform than he did from which to start.

BIG WIN The Viacom trainwreck reveals just how smooth the Fox succession has been.

BIG BET Elevating Stacey Snider to run the 20th Century Fox film studio when it was chugging along under Jim Gianopulos. Another initiative, say the brothers in a joint email: "Changing the game for IP streaming customers."

JAMES & LACHLAN
    The tyranny of distance.

JAMES & LACHLAN
    Changing something.

JAMES & LACHLAN
    Our families and each other.

JAMES & LACHLAN
    We’d choose Julius Caesar, of course.

gettyimages-504025764-h_2016.jpg
    1. Bob Iger, Chairman and CEO, Walt Disney Co.

Bob Iger is showing off pictures he recently took of food. "We've got a Szechuan chicken burger, a Peking duck pizza shaped in a Mickey head," he says in a demeanor one might call "CEO giddy," as animated as one of the most polished leaders in corporate America gets. "There's something called siu mai dumplings that are Shanghainese — they're tremendous!" Seated in a conference room adjacent to his office at the Walt Disney Co. headquarters in Burbank, Iger scrolls his iPad through dozens of photos shot during one of his twice-monthly visits to the new Shanghai Disney theme park. What about a churro stand? "Believe it or not, yes," he says. "I've tasted all the food at the park. Except I haven't tasted the turkey legs yet."

Iger, 65, is chatting with The Hollywood Reporter, which has named him the most powerful person in entertainment for his shrewd management of the world's largest media company. This is just a few days before he took off on his most important trip to China, to christen the $5.5 billion park with leaders of the country's communist party. Tragically, the day before the opening ceremony, Iger received news that 2-year-old Lane Graves was snatched and killed by an alligator in a lagoon at Disney's Orlando resort. The horror hit the CEO and father of four (including two sons with wife Willow Bay) especially hard — he personally called the boy's parents and dispatched his parks chief to Orlando — and illustrated the diverse challenges thrown at the New York native in his role as business executive, brand statesman and manager of the kind of bizarre news events that become amplified because of their association with Disney. "Yes, all CEOs have to deal with investors and to some extent the press, but we get a lot more attention than any other company," he says before the incident, which occurred a day after Disney donated $1 million to victims of the Pulse nightclub massacre in Orlando (Disney employed two of the 49 killed).

• silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • metal face terrorist
    metal face terrorist Members Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? them crackers.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A lot of jews.

Still don't see the hype with Jennifer Lawrence.
  • Maximus Rex
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    Why the Kevin hart picture?

I guess he's 100.
    northside7 wrote: »
    A lot of jews.

congressional-black-caucus.jpg?w=614

That's the National Black Caucus, surprisingly there's a lot of black people in that organization. Anyway, I'm going to have to research to see exactly how many in the top 25 are Jews.

• Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    how many pedophiles though?
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Probably half
  • Maximus Rex
    Options

Probably half

I'd say 2/3rds.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    And not one black person in the Hollywood system in a position of power. As an aspiring Actor/Director/Producer, it's disheartening, but not surprising.