New Zealand athlete says he was kidnapped in Rio

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/17137298/new-zealand-jiu-jitsu-athlete-jason-lee-says-was-kidnapped-rio
Kiwi athlete says he was kidnapped in Rio

Jason Lee, a New Zealand-born jujitsu fighter based in Rio de Janeiro, said he was "kidnapped" Saturday by armed men dressed in police uniforms and forced to withdraw money from two separate ATMs to pay for his release.

The 27-year-old, who will not be competing in the Olympics but has been living in Brazil for the past 10 months, tweeted Sunday: "What did you guys get up to yesterday? I got kidnapped. Go Olympics! #Rio2016."

Later, in an interview with stuff.co.nz, the martial arts athlete explained in further detail how the incident developed from what appeared to be a routine traffic stop by two policemen on motorbikes.

"First, he asked me to stretch my arms, then patted me down," Lee said. "At this point, it still looked reasonably professional."

However, after the policemen searched the New Zealander's rental car, one of the cops returned brandishing a large book and told Lee he was breaking the law.

"He says, 'You can't drive in Brazil as a foreigner without a passport,' which I now know isn't the case at all. The rental car company hadn't mentioned that to me. He starts opening the book, showing me all these passages in Portuguese, which I can sort of read, like, every third word."

The men then demanded that Lee pay them 2000 Brazilian reals ($615) or face a night in a Rio jail.

"At this point, I acknowledged to myself that I've completely backed myself into a corner," Lee said. "These guys have pulled me over. They have weapons. I'm not in any position to negotiate.

"I don't think I've ever felt like I could possibly die."

Lee, who was not carrying any money at the time, was forced to drive to a nearby police bunker underneath an overpass, where he was swapped into an unmarked private car and taken to two ATMs to withdraw enough money to pay the officers.

Once he returned to the bunker, Lee handed over the money and was finally released.

"[They] said, 'You can't say anything to anyone about this -- not a word,'" Lee said.

The jujitsu fighter did, however, report the incident to the Rio authorities.

"I was umming and ahhing about whether I should even make a complaint. One of the guys I was reporting it to said, 'We understand you are hesitant because we are the police, and that branch of the police is so scary, even we are afraid of them.'"

The incident is the latest in a string of setbacks ahead of the 2016 Rio Olympic Games. One month ago, an Australian Paralympic sailor and official were threatened with a gun and robbed before a race in Rio.

tumblr_lpl3469gOo1qdana6o3_400.gif

Comments

• Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • HerbalVaporCapers
    HerbalVaporCapers Members Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Time for an infusion of cash and jewelry to the local community
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/17137298/new-zealand-jiu-jitsu-athlete-jason-lee-says-was-kidnapped-rio
    Kiwi athlete says he was kidnapped in Rio

Jason Lee, a New Zealand-born jujitsu fighter based in Rio de Janeiro, said he was "kidnapped" Saturday by armed men dressed in police uniforms and forced to withdraw money from two separate ATMs to pay for his release.

The 27-year-old, who will not be competing in the Olympics but has been living in Brazil for the past 10 months, tweeted Sunday: "What did you guys get up to yesterday? I got kidnapped. Go Olympics! #Rio2016."

Later, in an interview with stuff.co.nz, the martial arts athlete explained in further detail how the incident developed from what appeared to be a routine traffic stop by two policemen on motorbikes.

"First, he asked me to stretch my arms, then patted me down," Lee said. "At this point, it still looked reasonably professional."

However, after the policemen searched the New Zealander's rental car, one of the cops returned brandishing a large book and told Lee he was breaking the law.

"He says, 'You can't drive in Brazil as a foreigner without a passport,' which I now know isn't the case at all. The rental car company hadn't mentioned that to me. He starts opening the book, showing me all these passages in Portuguese, which I can sort of read, like, every third word."

The men then demanded that Lee pay them 2000 Brazilian reals ($615) or face a night in a Rio jail.

"At this point, I acknowledged to myself that I've completely backed myself into a corner," Lee said. "These guys have pulled me over. They have weapons. I'm not in any position to negotiate.

"I don't think I've ever felt like I could possibly die."

Lee, who was not carrying any money at the time, was forced to drive to a nearby police bunker underneath an overpass, where he was swapped into an unmarked private car and taken to two ATMs to withdraw enough money to pay the officers.

Once he returned to the bunker, Lee handed over the money and was finally released.

"[They] said, 'You can't say anything to anyone about this -- not a word,'" Lee said.

The jujitsu fighter did, however, report the incident to the Rio authorities.

"I was umming and ahhing about whether I should even make a complaint. One of the guys I was reporting it to said, 'We understand you are hesitant because we are the police, and that branch of the police is so scary, even we are afraid of them.'"

The incident is the latest in a string of setbacks ahead of the 2016 Rio Olympic Games. One month ago, an Australian Paralympic sailor and official were threatened with a gun and robbed before a race in Rio.

tumblr_lpl3469gOo1qdana6o3_400.gif

The Tender Trio NH
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    After Brazil, they need to seriously consider keeping the Olympics in Greece. They need the money over there.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn, I keep hearing of athletes getting robbed and kidnapped down there.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    They knew this was a good possibility way before going so with that said

Ron-Swanson-Says-Dont-Even-Care.gif

• NCswag
    NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Suns out guns out. I ain't glad at 'em, but I ain't mad at 'em.
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn. Smh... Where's Busca Pé with his camera when ya need him?
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He been out there 10 months bullshitting tho. He been a mark. That type of ? going down out there Olympics or not.

• mohamed
    mohamed Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wasn't Brazil the kidnapping capital if the world at one time