How would you give back and help your community if you were a millionaire?

Options
felliwonda
felliwonda Members Posts: 416 ✭✭✭
Now I apologize if this kind of thread was made already I don't know... But with the many things occurring especially here in the states think poverty, lack of education, racism, police brutality, college opportunities, etc. think! How would you help your community or anybody even if is only one person. Would you give back? We see many people in all walks of life who have gone from rags to riches and sometimes I'm pretty sure we fall into the thought of what if this person gave back, what if that person did this or did that for their community their family. In all honesty no one is obliged to give back I believe, although I can agree it should be a principle an act of kindness a humane act. How would you feel if people talked down on you for "not helping" and or "giving back" set it off....

Comments

• felliwonda
    Options
    If I ever came across a descent chunk of change (millions to be exact) I have plans to help I would love the thought of being involved in my community and giving back and also helping out first hand in my native country. But I can't lie and say I wouldn't feel some type of way if people even family members expected more out of me simply because I happen to be blessed financially, I would feel offended in fact because let's face it not everyone is willing to give back if you will but if I happen to give back even if is a grain of rice (not literally) danm I sure hope people appreciate it. I would help kids get through college, older people with the hardships of old age and necessary things they need on daily basis, for poor and less fortunate people I would try to find housing solutions and find ways to help kids be kids and enjoy their days as children until they get old enough to move educate themselves and be on their own. Most of these things are easier said than done but with a descent amount of money you can make plans even if you can't cover the sun with one finger I would like to help in those ways even if I don't accomplish it all but at least one I would make it my legacy and hope my children continue to let me live through them.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • felliwonda
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    I already thought about this throughout my life.. id do:

School supplies and backpack giveaways ever year

Pay the college tuition for the highest HS gpa in the hood

Restore and renovate parks and playgrounds

Build a recreation center

Turkeys on thanksgiving

Toys on Christmas

Really nice man that's a good plan right there. ? it hurts me every time just to think all the good that can be done you know see that's hell of a plan right there if you come across a nice financial gain
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the ? i already do for my community
  • felliwonda
    Options
    Not a dime, not a dime. Gotta show the lil ? what's away from the hood. I'd take 7 teens on a trip to Africa, Europe, and south America. Show them that there is more to the world then just their neighborhood. Alot of those kids won't leave a 100 block radius unless it's to go to prison.

I hear you man it is nice t always educate children about thinking of others as well as themselves and continue to educate with purpose.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options
    turkeys every thanks giving.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Set up a program to teach financial literacy in inner city schools and a conditional scholarship program.

A summer program for at risk youths with a focus on teaching self sustaining skills and exposure to outdoor activities that might not be common in urban areas (fishing, hunting, gardening ect)

• felliwonda
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    turkeys every thanks giving.

Don't get me wrong I respect everyones opinion see cause I think there is people out there who wouldn't even do that. Now I just like to think that I prefer to give people a reason to be thankful on thanksgiving rather than giving them a turkey and than other days wih the blues... No offense though I understand everyone thinks differently
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Turkeys on thanksgiving

Toys on Christmas

good ? but you don't need to be a millionaire to do the bolded......i do them every year with the help of a few churches, other mentoring programs, frats/sororities and the fire department......might can't be on a large scale but you could do enough to help out the hood just not entire hood

I would build a life skills center

teach about credit, interest rates. how to save, loans and financing, how to invest, talk to them about how important local elections are
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »

Turkeys on thanksgiving

Toys on Christmas

good ? but you don't need to be a millionaire to do the bolded......i do them every year with the help of a few churches, other mentoring programs, frats/sororities and the fire department......might can't be on a large scale but you could do enough to help out the hood just not entire hood

I would build a life skills center

teach about credit, interest rates. how to save, loans and financing, how to invest, talk to them about how important local elections are
    the ? i already do for my community

• zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I already give back by hiring black people when sometimes it would cost me less to hire someone else.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd really be interested in started a charter school where I can SOMEWHAT control the curriculum, Jalen Rose-Style. He really put his money, time and effort where is mouth was...rather than just talking about how ? the Detroit school system is.

If I was a BILLIONAIRE, I see no reason why I couldn't start building an actual infrastructure in a certain part of the city and making sure that WE have an actual part of town that is exclusive and caters to us, the same way Chinese, Jewish, Polish, etc, people to. Schools, restaurants, grocery stores, movie theaters, etc, etc, etc, etc. I'm really not huge on segregation, but I do feel that temporary segregation would be good for black people. Segregate, build, live, maintain, thrive...and re-? .

Y'all feel free to tear this ? apart; I haven't really done any research into any of this ? . I'm mostly just freestyling.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would purchase all of the real estate I could and actually live in the neighborhood.

I would renovate each property to modern standards. I would offer the properties rent free, with the condition that the tenant pays properties taxes and signs a 5-10 year contract to maintain the property up to my standards as well making a commitment to join a community organization. i.e. neighborhood watch, neighborhood clean up, neighborhood farm\gardening, school PTA or neighborhood child care.

I would setup a program for my tenants to put money away to purchase additional properties in the neighborhood (CASH) and continue offering free housing to tenants in the neighborhood.

Every neighborhood resident would be required to add his or her name to a database that lists what their skills are or the type of business they own\operate.

At the end of the tenants contract they could purchase the property and obtain their deed but they would be required to sign a contract that specifies they have to sell the some back to the community or to an approved buyer who is looking to contribute to the community in the same manner.
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We are not millionaires but my husband and I give back to the community all the time. We don't live in the hood but we do own several properties that we make sure is well maintained and taxes are paid. We donate to several good causes. My husband has his hands in just about all the youth sports leagues. My personal time and money goes to help with local family planning, Planned Parenthood . I feel that birth control gives young girls a better chance at a decent life and I do everything I can to help promote it. All you have to do is open your eyes, see the problems for what they are and pitch in. You dont have to be a millionaire.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Turkeys on thanksgiving

nino-brown-crackhead-o.gif
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not a dime, not a dime. Gotta show the lil ? what's away from the hood. I'd take 7 teens on a trip to Africa, Europe, and south America. Show them that there is more to the world then just their neighborhood. Alot of those kids won't leave a 100 block radius unless it's to go to prison.

Closed thread
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Scholarships

Turkeys

Toys for kids on Christmas/Hanakuh/Kwanzaa

Music/Tech/Art supplies for school, elementary-highschool

I would donate to the education budget as well. Possibly fund field trips or better wages for teachers who actually like to teach.

Until i get my multi million dollar bank account though, I aint doing ? .
  • Louis Devinear
    Louis Devinear Members Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Teach the babies.
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would open up a school. Multiple schools.