Bill O'Reilly: Slaves Who Built White House Were "Well Fed And Had Decent Lodgings"

Options
Swiffness!
Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
BILL O'REILLY (HOST): Finally tonight, Factor Tip of The Day. As we mentioned, Talking Points Memo, Michelle Obama referenced slaves building the White House in referring to the evolution of America in a positive way. It was a positive comment. The history behind her remark is fascinating. George Washington selected the site in 1791, and as president laid the cornerstone in 1792. Washington was then running the country out of Philadelphia.

Slaves did participate in the construction of the White House. Records show about 400 payments made to slave masters between 1795 and 1801. In addition, free blacks, whites, and immigrants also worked on the massive building. There were no illegal immigrants at that time. If you could make it here, you could stay here.

In 1800, President John Adams took up residence in what was then called the Executive Mansion. It was only later on they named it the White House. But Adams was in there with Abigail, and they were still hammering nails, the construction was still going on.

Slaves that worked there were well fed and had decent lodgings provided by the government, which stopped hiring slave labor in 1802. However, the feds did not forbid subcontractors from using slave labor. So, Michelle Obama is essentially correct in citing slaves as builders of the White House, but there were others working as well. Got it all? There will be a quiz.

[...]

I just can't get rid of that history teacher thing. You know what I'm talking about?

https://mediamatters.org/video/2016/07/26/oreilly-slaves-who-built-white-house-were-well-fed-and-had-decent-lodgings-provided-government/211921

Comments

• Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aww man, ? ain't even trying no more
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What exactly is his point?
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    jetlifebih wrote: »
    My thing is tho....her and her husband slept in that house for 8 years.....watched her daughters grow in that house slaves built for 8 years.....did she ever once try to find out who these slaves were and pay their family reparations???

Why the ? should SHE pay them reparations?
  • b'mer...
    b'mer... Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im surprised that he didn't use the white peoples go to trump card, being "but oh...our irish ancestors were slaves". Its been proven to be false but it's still their go to history deflection.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Clickbait O'Reilly strikes again
  • matches malone
    matches malone Members Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    realistically, how do you know it hasnt happened though, that the Obamas have done ? like that about the white house? Obama has said that he gets letters from people talking about their financial struggles, and he occasionally mails them back money anonymously.

I wouldnt put it past them to at least make an effort to learn more about it,
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    b'mer... wrote: »
    Im surprised that he didn't use the white peoples go to trump card, being "but oh...our irish ancestors were slaves". Its been proven to be false but it's still their go to history deflection.

He has, plenty of times.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options
    smh at people trynna rewrite history , I hope he dies a horrible death.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    realistically, how do you know it hasnt happened though, that the Obamas have done ? like that about the white house? Obama has said that he gets letters from people talking about their financial struggles, and he occasionally mails them back money anonymously.

I wouldnt put it past them to at least make an effort to learn more about it,
    ....prove it.....

We need proof bro....its 2016...we 500 years behind....and then some....we need to hold these "leaders" accountable

And think about that...people mail him their financial struggles....and he mails money back....anonymously....

we are talking specifically about Africans taken from Africa and forced to work , ? ,beaten, murdered, and tortured....

And I realistically know because there is no proof, and they think this country is great.....when it...for Africans taken from Africa, has never been great....I don't even blame barack because his mothers white....I don't expect him to sacrifice or turn his back on his white mother for the sake of african Americans....but michelle don't get that pass....she has two black parents

• Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They really trying to make it out that slavery never happen .I want to see what a us history textbook going to say about in the 10to 20 years from now.
  • white sympathizer
    white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    See yall niggras make too big a deal over slavery

Irish people were slaves too and I bet they didnt get to live up in the lap of luxury like yalls ancestors did

#alllivesmatter
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/rush-limbaugh-obamas-get-over-slavery
    Limbaugh Says The Obamas Need To Let That Whole Slavery Thing Go

Responding to Michelle Obama’s remark at the Democratic National Convention that the White House was built with slave labor, conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh said the First Lady should probably just get over it.

“They cant stop talking about slavery, and largely in a context of, 'Hey, you know what? It isn't settled yet.' And, 'Hey, you know what, we haven't fixed it yet," Limbaugh said. “I mean, that's their starting point, and I think that's a no-win situation for us because we've made great strides.”

Obama was making the point that the U.S. had made dramatic progress in race relations over the last two centuries given that a black First Family now lived in a house constructed by black slaves.

Limbaugh did not interpret her comment that way, instead comparing Obama’s raising the issue to a husband repeatedly bringing up his wife’s affair.

“Imagine that your wife has an affair, and it causes all kinds of acrimony, you almost lose your marriage,” he said. "It's really a rocky period of time. But you and your wife get together, and you decide that you're going to forgive her, you're going to look past it for the sake of the marriage and kids, and you move forward. He said okay. Now imagine, sir, every argument you have, you continue to remind her that she's to blame for everything because she's the one that had the affair. I said, your relationship hasn't a prayer if you can't let it go.”

“That’s how I hear the Obamas,” he said.

"The Rush Limbaugh Show" host then went even further, saying that Barack Obama, born to a white American mother and black Kenyan father, has no business commenting on the legacy of slavery because his ancestors were not slaves.

“They love to wax eloquent about the early days and how they were 3/5 of a person, even though they never have been 3/5 of a person,” Limbaugh said. “He doesn't even have any slave blood. She does, but he doesn't, but they will admit they're never going to let it go.”

Limbaugh was not the only conservative pundit to take umbrage with Obama’s speech.

Fox News host Bill O'Reilly devoted a segment of his Tuesday show to arguing that the slaves who worked on the White House were "well fed and had decent lodgings."

Rash agrees with O'Racist...