Brazil's Guanabara Bay Full Of Human Waste. 2016 Olympic Athletes Urged To Swim With Mouths Closed..

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
With the opening ceremony for 2016 Summer Olympics set to begin next week in Rio de Janeiro, health experts are warning athletes about the filthy mess that is Guanabara Bay.

The New York Times reports that marathon swimmers, sailors and windsurfers have been told to swim with their mouths closed because the water is full of human waste that is being pumped into the Bay on a daily basis.

Add to that rats making a home in the filth and dead animal carcasses, creating a cesspool of bacteria. The smell is so bad it makes visitors feel like fainting or throwing up, according to USA Today.

When Rio was awarded the Olympics seven years ago, government officials promised to have the mess cleaned, but experts say the problem is actually worse now than it was then.

According to The Times, athletes face health risks from rotaviruses that can cause diarrhea and vomiting to drug-resistant 'superbacteria' that can be fatal to people with weakened immune systems.

"I see the same thing I saw nine years ago. The water is still very ? ," resident Luiz Goldfeld told USA Today. "At night the waters stinks, but nothing's changed. Still the same thing for nine years here. Unfortunately, they had the opportunity to change and they didn't do anything. The raw (sewage) comes from downtown and they don't have any treatment. It's pure ? ."

"(Officials) used the Olympic games to put money in their pockets," Goldfeld continued. "They don't think (about) the Olympic legacy. We had the great opportunity to do things for the city, but wasted this opportunity. It smells like ? because it's full of ? . I don’t believe most of what we hear from the politicians, but I expected something would be done with the Olympics coming.”

vxd5r7pkfmv6.jpeg

luiz1.PNG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QopfE5950CE

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They need to holla at that ? Nino Brown, he will have some sage advice for the Olympic comittee
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Disgraceful.

Just disgraceful.
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's the over under they cancel the Olympics?
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Why haven't the swimmers protested against this ? ? They're the ones having to wade through this ? .

NO gold medal is worth some super form of SARSanoma-X-pox.
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A bunch of credulous ? in here...what didn't they say about Africa hosting a World Cup? Yet it was one of the most successful to date. Same thing was said about Brazil hosting the World Cup, yet it IS the most successful to date...thread starter is an idiot and fear monger
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rasta. wrote: »
    A bunch of credulous ? in here...what didn't they say about Africa hosting a World Cup? Yet it was one of the most successful to date. Same thing was said about Brazil hosting the World Cup, yet it IS the most successful to date...thread starter is an idiot and fear monger

Vuvuzela ruined the SA World Cup. What about the Zika?
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Nah....

? is really ? up.....

The games will probably go off well....

They will clear off a section for the watersports....

However, this ? is fowl.....

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/07/28/magazine/rio-sarapu-guanabara-bay-pollution.html?_r=0

asset_26-1600.jpg

• Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »

An asinine assertion if i ever read one. Zika? What do you know about it?
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »

An asinine assertion if i ever read one. Zika? What do you know about it?

Enough to make me not want to go to Brasil.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    With the opening ceremony for 2016 Summer Olympics set to begin next week in Rio de Janeiro, health experts are warning athletes about the filthy mess that is Guanabara Bay.

The New York Times reports that marathon swimmers, sailors and windsurfers have been told to swim with their mouths closed because the water is full of human waste that is being pumped into the Bay on a daily basis.

Add to that rats making a home in the filth and dead animal carcasses, creating a cesspool of bacteria. The smell is so bad it makes visitors feel like fainting or throwing up, according to USA Today.

When Rio was awarded the Olympics seven years ago, government officials promised to have the mess cleaned, but experts say the problem is actually worse now than it was then.

According to The Times, athletes face health risks from rotaviruses that can cause diarrhea and vomiting to drug-resistant 'superbacteria' that can be fatal to people with weakened immune systems.

"I see the same thing I saw nine years ago. The water is still very ? ," resident Luiz Goldfeld told USA Today. "At night the waters stinks, but nothing's changed. Still the same thing for nine years here. Unfortunately, they had the opportunity to change and they didn't do anything. The raw (sewage) comes from downtown and they don't have any treatment. It's pure ? ."

"(Officials) used the Olympic games to put money in their pockets," Goldfeld continued. "They don't think (about) the Olympic legacy. We had the great opportunity to do things for the city, but wasted this opportunity. It smells like ? because it's full of ? . I don’t believe most of what we hear from the politicians, but I expected something would be done with the Olympics coming.”

vxd5r7pkfmv6.jpeg

luiz1.PNG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QopfE5950CE

59698-James-Franco-reaction-gif--Ive-eD4N.gif
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    oh well...they choosing to go there so it's whatever to me....i think they will be fine tho