If you dont own a home by 30, youre a failure

Options

Comments

• Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what if you are like a good friend of mine who has a really good job but travels 75% of the time?

This is my 40 year old sisters situation too. She has no desire to enter a mortgage and it has nothing to do with her not having the means.

A mortgage is a huge commitment. If it's for you, great. If not, that's great too.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    Owning a home at 30 in the south or even some other places in the country is not impressive at all, if you tell me you mortgage a home in detroit.... what do you want applause??? ? it's detroit if i sold my comic book collection i could buy a home in detroit.

start talking about owning a home in a place like L.A OR NY then you can start bragging a little. Until then shut the ? you impress nobody

Difnt i just tell your comic book collecting monkey ass its not about impressing anybody, but rather black people owning something that can be left to your kids and their kids and not have to deal with whitey to get a damn mortgage

It does not matter what i said still stands, owning a home that won't go up in value is not impressive at all so your attitude of ? on your brothers and sisters that don't have those resources is ? ? .
  • white sympathizer
    white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Not everyone has the means to own a home though.

If you sitting there with a car and an iphone 6s+ like me, you have no excuses
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OK. ? thread premise and the thread starter has the intelligence of a spoon so can we lock this stupid ? ???

Who mortgage you paying bruv?
    , you can be honest

I don't pay any mortgages people pay me rent you are bragging like you have accomplished so much but really you have not done ? to impress me or anybody with a little bit of sense.

So you have roommates, even worse

Tsk tsk

See you people got it wrong, im not trying to brag, im trying to motivate and inspire home ownership in the black community

I don't have room mates you ? numbskull i am a ? land lord with your attitude you are not motivating anyone,
  • d1al_t0ne
    d1al_t0ne Members Posts: 270 ✭✭
    Options
    d1al_t0ne wrote: »
    This is part of the dumb logic that got us into the housing mess. Throw in a few idiots like the TS and a few predatory banks and we'll be back there again soon.

Yeah how dare black people leave something for their kids besides busted jordans and debt

The idea of home ownership isn't a dumb one. It's your logic that anything but owning a home is dumb that's really dumb. There's plenty of good financial reasons to not pursue home ownership before 30. We can start with affordability for one.

• white sympathizer
    Options
    Owning a home at 30 in the south or even some other places in the country is not impressive at all, if you tell me you mortgage a home in detroit.... what do you want applause??? ? it's detroit if i sold my comic book collection i could buy a home in detroit.

start talking about owning a home in a place like L.A OR NY then you can start bragging a little. Until then shut the ? you impress nobody

Difnt i just tell your comic book collecting monkey ass its not about impressing anybody, but rather black people owning something that can be left to your kids and their kids and not have to deal with whitey to get a damn mortgage

It does not matter what i said still stands, owning a home that won't go up in value is not impressive at all so your attitude of ? on your brothers and sisters that don't have those resources is ? ? .

Reading comprehension isnt your thing, no wonder a mortgage scares you and you want black people to always have to beg some white ? for a home loan in that racist ass bank industry, pathetic
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kat wrote: »
    There are so many valid reasons why a person over 30 might not want a mortgage. This is stupid.

Name 5

Just off the dome...

1. Bad loan practices. There are a LOT of previous home owners right living in apartments who got ? over with those subprime mortgages and ended up getting the boot after the interest rate skyrocketed. And these were older "experienced" adults. Not fresh out of college first real job adults.

2. Cost of living. You probably live in the south if you bought a home (shack) for $30k. Some of us live in cities/states where it is impossible to buy a house that cheap that isn't already condemned. Or wouldn't be a hell of a fixer upper. We drive cars that cost more than that

3. Convenience. Sometimes it just makes more financial sense to rent a place closer to where you work. My moms stay 60 miles away from where she works and makes that commute everyday getting up at 2am to get there. Sure she can afford to pay the house payments and to be filling up her gas tank every 2 days, fighting all that afternoon traffic, so for her it's worth it to live in an area she loves to be in, but think of all the money that could be saved yearly if she stayed within 20 miles even.

4. Career. If you have a career with real advancement opportunities, there's really no point in buying a house and being stuck with such a large commitment so early. Eventually you'll have the money for something much better than what you can afford early on. Leasing/Renting allows for better upward mobility later in life.

5. Family. Yeah it's cool you bought a cheap ass 1 bedroom 1 bathroom house at 23, but what about later down the line when/if you start having kids and ? . At some point you gonna need more space. Yeah that lil shack might be yours and paid off but your quality of life is probably gonna be dogshit in the future.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Not everyone has the means to own a home though.

If you sitting there with a car and an iphone 6s+ like me, you have no excuses

I get what you're saying but not everyone has the money or/and credit to buy a home. I get what you're saying about ownership but you gotta look at the other side of it too.
  • white sympathizer
    edited July 2016
    Options
    There are so many valid reasons why a person over 30 might not want a mortgage. This is stupid.

Name 5

Just off the dome...

1. Bad loan practices. There are a LOT of previous home owners right living in apartments who got ? over with those subprime mortgages and ended up getting the boot after the interest rate skyrocketed. And these were older "experienced" adults. Not fresh out of college first real job adults.

2. Cost of living. You probably live in the south if you bought a home (shack) for $30k. Some of us live in cities/states where it is impossible to buy a house that cheap that isn't already condemned. Or wouldn't be a hell of a fixer upper. We drive cars that cost more than that

3. Convenience. Sometimes it just makes more financial sense to rent a place closer to where you work. My moms stay 60 miles away from where she works and makes that commute everyday getting up at 2am to get there. Sure she can afford to pay the house payments and to be filling up her gas tank every 2 days, fighting all that afternoon traffic, so for her it's worth it to live in an area she loves to be in, but think of all the money that could be saved yearly if she stayed within 20 miles even.

4. Career. If you have a career with real advancement opportunities, there's really no point in buying a house and being stuck with such a large commitment so early. Eventually you'll have the money for something much better than what you can afford early on. Leasing/Renting allows for better upward mobility later in life.

5. Family. Yeah it's cool you bought a cheap ass 1 bedroom 1 bathroom house at 23, but what about later down the line when/if you start having kids and ? . At some point you gonna need more space. Yeah that lil shack might be yours and paid off but your quality of life is probably gonna be dogshit in the future.

1.Anybody with common sense gets a fixed rste loan DUH.

2.Then maybe you shouldnt live there if youre always a slave to a landlord or tenement building

3.Your mom is an idiot then, ill be damn if i out 300 miles a week on my car just going to work and still cant afford a house.

4.You can just sell your house if you have to leave the area, agsin, DUH

5. And hows that quality of life splitting a 2 bedroom apartment with a family and never owning ? ?

Having people hearing your convos in the next apartment and ? ?
  • white sympathizer
    edited July 2016
    Options
    See you guys arent seeing the big picture

How much you spending on jordans a year?

2 pairs of jordans is like a mortgage payment
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    If your ass sitting there stilll doing that apartment with designated parking spot and ? at 30, you failed at life, no 30 year old should be paying someone elses mortgage.

Get your ass on realtor.com and be an adult snd own something ? .

You still don't own that home right away so.....

Thats why you supposed to get started at like 23

I bought my first crib for 30000, small little cottage jawn, put down 6 stacks so no pmi, paid that hoe off and sold it by 25 because i paid like 1000 a month on the mortgage

30k?

This ? live in South Dakota
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    home ownership can be good and bad. u are not a failure if u don't own and u are not a success if u do own. I am a home owner and honestly my wife and I were on the fence when we started out. our family pushed us into buying a home because we were having kids and they were like them babies need space and a backyard. dude we struggled badly. that ? was a shock to our system. we were under 30 and paying 9k in taxes per year (I live in jersey). everything aint what its cracked up to be. we looked good on the outside with house and the picket fence but we spent plenty of nights at the kitchen table trying to figure out how to pay for ? .
  • white sympathizer
    edited July 2016
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »
    If your ass sitting there stilll doing that apartment with designated parking spot and ? at 30, you failed at life, no 30 year old should be paying someone elses mortgage.

Get your ass on realtor.com and be an adult snd own something ? .

You still don't own that home right away so.....

Thats why you supposed to get started at like 23

I bought my first crib for 30000, small little cottage jawn, put down 6 stacks so no pmi, paid that hoe off and sold it by 25 because i paid like 1000 a month on the mortgage

30k?

This ? live in South Dakota

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Mercer-County_NJ/price-na-40000/sby-6

Thats where i bought my first crib
  • Inglewood_B
    Options
    And to add on

6. Legacy home is overrated. I'm damn sure not going back to live in the house I grew up in. My brothers and sister all moved out of state. ? is grown living their lives elsewhere. And my granny, ? bless her heart, still lives in the house my mother grew up in and she wants whoever she leaves it to, to stay/live there and doesn't want that house to be sold... But if you know anything about LA, you'd know ain't nobody trying to live in a 2 bedroom house off 92nd and Figueroa if you could be anywhere else.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    And to add on

6. Legacy home is overrated. I'm damn sure not going back to live in the house I grew up in. My brothers and sister all moved out of state. ? is grown living their lives elsewhere. And my granny, ? bless her heart, still lives in the house my mother grew up in and she wants whoever she leaves it to, to stay/live there and doesn't want that house to be sold... But if you know anything about LA, you'd know ain't nobody trying to live in a 2 bedroom house off 92nd and Figueroa if you could be anywhere else.

At least keep the house/wealth in the fam and rent it out

This is what our teachers mean when they talk about our communities and the value...mfs want to get up leave and go to a "better" neighborhood and take the resources out of the community they grew up in leaving people behind who are basically extended family

Meanwhile everybody else will stay in the house they great great great grandparents and tell you they seen em or heard em walking down the hall one night...
  • Inglewood_B
    edited July 2016
    Options

Name 5

Just off the dome...

1.Anybody with common sense gets a fixed rste loan DUH.

2.Then maybe you shouldnt live there if youre always a slave to a landlord or tenement building

3.Your mom is an idiot then, ill be damn if i out 300 miles a week on my car just going to work and still cant afford a house.

4.You can just sell your house if you have to leave the area, agsin, DUH

5. And hows that quality of life splitting a 2 bedroom apartment with a family and never owning ? ?

Having people hearing your convos in the next apartment and ? ?

1. Hindsight is 20/20, but the facts are a large percentage of this country fell for them loans.

2. No I wouldn't live there. Which was my whole point.

3. I'll ignore the diss at my moms to avoid pointless internet hostilities, but Yeah to me it ain't a bright idea. And again that was my point.

4. "Duhr sell yur house agin" and get another mortgage/years of payments added to my life? Unless you paying off these houses upfront straight cash you may as well be paying rent ? .

5. Homes are for lease/rent too. I got a yard(front and back) for my daughter and dog to play in, 3 bedrooms 1 (for me/fiancé, one for her and 1 where we have computer/PlayStation 4, iPhone dock and stereo system to blast whatever music, and kick it spot when the homies comethru) 2 baths, living room dining room area. All the same perks of a homeowner. When my money get longer and if I decide I want a larger family or ready to just upgrade I can do so with no strings attached

And when I'm ready to settle in one place I got my VA home loan on deck for when I'm sure I'm ready
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    d1al_t0ne wrote: »
    This is part of the dumb logic that got us into the housing mess. Throw in a few idiots like the TS and a few predatory banks and we'll be back there again soon.

Ehhhh again t/s on some other ? but if you managed to own a home at that time and weathered the storm you're sitting pretty equity wise. And thats JUST 6-8 years. Was just listening to 2 old heads talk about DC in the 80s vs now. You got people who bought homes for 75k now sitting on priorities worth 1mill. Bc you never,know where development will go, and over time 9/10 its gon go up

In most cases a mortgage is about = to rent. Its the up front money and "risk" that separates have nots from haves.

So again, there is NO argument for renting over buying. Ever. At all. Its just a matter of can you do it
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S/n houses in Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston etc aint gon be crackhead prices forever. BUY.

• Inglewood_B
    edited July 2016
    Options
    jetlifebih wrote: »
    And to add on

This is what our teachers mean when they talk about our communities and the value...mfs want to get up leave and go to a "better" neighborhood and take the resources out of the community they grew up in leaving people behind

Whoever she end up leaving it to, if they wanna stay there, good for them. I'm not against keeping it in the family, I just don't want it personally. And if she left it to me I'd sell and split the profits, unless one of my other relatives was in need of it
  • white sympathizer
    edited July 2016
    Options
    jetlifebih wrote: »
    And to add on

This is what our teachers mean when they talk about our communities and the value...mfs want to get up leave and go to a "better" neighborhood and take the resources out of the community they grew up in leaving people behind

Finally, somebody gets it

My mind as a parent would be at ease knowing if my kids lose their house to a flood or something crazy they can just stay at the one i wouldnt be in until they get back on their feet

Everybody else has figured this out but us, all these litle ? houses that get rented in the hood are owned by guineas and arabs, paid 40k and change to own and fix it up, charge 800 a month rent for 2-3 seperate tenants and make tenants pay their own utilities, thats 2400 a month and 28800 a year, that joint is a money maker by the 3rd year
  • Inglewood_B
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    S/n houses in Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston etc aint gon be crackhead prices forever. BUY.

Agreed on this point. My pops had a 2 story 5 bedroom house built from scratch in Sugarland, Tx with money from when he sold the 3 bedroom house we grew up in and had cash to spare to open up a small t shirt shop when he retired.
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TS hurt a couple feelings with this one........
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ayo where tf is the block button? Someone advise.
  • white sympathizer
    Options
    Chicity wrote: »
    TS hurt a couple feelings with this one........

? it, ? needs to be said

These new ? dont know what homeshopping was like before the internet and you had to go to each house to see the inside and getting the history and what not, yall should be snatching these ? up
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options