Jason Momoa In Talks To Star In The Crow Reboot

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F173601%2Fjason.momoa.crow.jpg

Jason Momoa, the Game of Thrones alum who plays Aquaman in the upcoming DC comics films, is in talks to star in The Crow, Relativity’s reboot of the 1994 cult classic starring Brandon Lee, Mashable has exclusively learned.

Corin Hardy (The Hallow) is set to direct The Crow, which is based on the beloved graphic novel by James O’Barr. Alex Proyas directed the original, which tragically served as Lee’s final film following an accidental shooting on set.

Momoa posted a photo of himself with Hardy several days ago on Instagram with the hashtags #sealthedeal, #greatnewstocome and #dreamjob. The Crow is the only movie that Hardy is known to be currently casting.

Multiple people close to the project confirm to Mashable that Momoa is in talks to play the role, and has figured out a way to work it around his Aquaman duties.

Original producer Ed Pressman is among the producers of the Crow reboot, which is expected to beat Aquaman to theaters. Momoa’s DC superhero was recently introduced in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and will have a larger role in Justice League before his standalone film in 2018, which is being directed by James Wan.

Some fanboys may cry foul over Momoa playing two superheroes simultaneously, but the Crow and Aquaman couldn’t be more different — and The Crow will no doubt have a much darker tone than its DC counterpart.

The Crow traditionally follows Eric Draven, who returns from the dead to track down his killers and avenge his murdered fiancé with the help of a mystical bird.

The Crow represents one of the crown jewels in Relativity’s coffers, and the reboot is an important step in the company’s mission to restore its reputation in Hollywood as it emerges from bankruptcy. Earlier this year, Relativity chief Ryan Kavanaugh brought in Dana Brunetti, producer of The Social Network, Captain Phillips and House of Cards, to steer the company’s new creative vision.

As with any movie, The Crow reboot will come down to execution, but Momoa is an intriguing choice and Hardy is considered a rising filmmaker who has Hollywood’s attention. He could’ve gone off to pursue other projects in lieu of several delays but he stuck by Relativity and the company is now sticking with him. The delays had previously forced Jack Huston (Ben-Hur) off the project, as he was once attached to star.

Outside of the DCU, Momoa will soon be seen in Ana Lily Amirpour’s The Bad Batch, the indie Going Under and the action movie Braven, which he also produced. Momoa is represented by APA, LINK Entertainment and attorney Bill Sobel.

Comments

• BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jason Momoa a trill dude

Never seen GOT, Conan, or cared about The Crow back in the day but good look for him.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    The Crow is top 5 one of my favourite movies of all time. Maaaaaannnnn I wish him the best but he best not butcher this remake or that'll be the second one he's ruined.

The 90s version played off the grunge era effectively well to where even the soundtrack was amazing. I wouldn't be mad if this version played off of Hip-Hop to speak to this era. They can remake it just don't make it directly like the original and we good. Wonder who will play Top Dollar and his 4 henchmen....

Lol i bought the crow a couple years ago. Watched it and the ? did not age well at all.
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I watch it every now and again and i think it's aged perfectly fine.

It is one of my favourite movies of all time though.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    The Crow is top 5 one of my favourite movies of all time. Maaaaaannnnn I wish him the best but he best not butcher this remake or that'll be the second one he's ruined.

The 90s version played off the grunge era effectively well to where even the soundtrack was amazing. I wouldn't be mad if this version played off of Hip-Hop to speak to this era. They can remake it just don't make it directly like the original and we good. Wonder who will play Top Dollar and his 4 henchmen....

Lol i bought the crow a couple years ago. Watched it and the ? did not age well at all.

Straight up lies.

That ? is the perfect 90s time capsule and has more atmosphere and superior production design to a lot of the ? you guys praise today.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What I would do is make Draven a local rapper and his girlfriend his manager. Make the music more like what TDE is making, that dark grunge-like style of Hip-Hop Set it in Detroit and play off scenery (cue Schoolboy Q last 2 albums). Make Skank a dude caught on the wrong side of the game who feels shame for what they did to Draven instead of a coward, make him a redeemable coward who tries to help him. It's supposed to be a love story about revenge. Give the henchmen new nicknames. Make Tin Tin a real Jamaican tho (make the fight back drop similar to the one in Predator 2 with King ? ).

From there you can make Top Dollar's crew the typical gang that's into drugs and extortion and build the story around there incorporating the detective. This can be real easy but let's see what Hollywood does..... Whoever is producing and writing this is key to its success...

I'd keep the rocker image since he has the look of a Godsmack, Drowning pool, sevendust or Guns n Roses type artist. Plus that type of deviation would ? the cinematography and dynamics of the movie. I could see Michael K. Williams playing the role of a deceased Tupac-like rapper transitioning through redemption before his demise but that should be a side story connected by this crow. All of them are spiritually connected to this crow through music. The producers worship a demonic crow like entity through illuminati as a hidden backstory.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the crow isn't worth a reboot
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This is the role he should have done instead of turning Conan into a gotdamn brofest instead of the hero epic it was suppose to be.

That ? wasn't his fault. They butchered the ? script and cuts while the movie was being made. It was actually going to be a REH story not some ? remake of 89 conan. Momoa is the best possible actor they could get for Conan.

Hope this goes good for him though, it'll be interesting to see if he could pull off a character like Draven. It'll be weird because of Brandon Lee and the dude in the TV show I always figured the crow to be asian.