New Residents Stunned To Find Rich California Community Still Has ‘Whites Only’ Home Ownership Rules

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
Whites-Only-Segregation-800x430.jpg

How would you feel if you finally found your dream house, only to discover that the local Homeowners Association wanted you to sign a Declaration of Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions that banned non-white people from living there?

CBS Sacramento reports that this is what happened to some new residents who moved into the Lakeside Estates community located in El Dorado Hills, California. The Lakeside Estates’ CC&Rs was written in 1959 and it still contains language that explicitly says only white people can live in the community.

“No person except those of the white Caucasian race shall use, occupy or reside upon any residential lot or plot, in this subdivision, except when employed as a servant or domestic in the household of a White Caucasian tenant or owner,” the clause in the CC&Rs reads.

It’s worth noting that this rule is not at all enforced anymore, and there are several non-white people who do live in the community.

Nonetheless, some new families who have just moved to the area found this clause to be “mind boggling,” and they’re vowing to get the CC&Rs changed.

“I just don’t think in this day and age that’s how things should be, and I just want to set that stage for the world that my kids are gonna grow up in,” said Cameron Foster, a new resident to the community who is launching a signature drive among community residents to get the racist language removed from the CC&Rs.

Comments

• CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »
    Whites-Only-Segregation-800x430.jpg

How would you feel if you finally found your dream house, only to discover that the local Homeowners Association wanted you to sign a Declaration of Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions that banned non-white people from living there?

CBS Sacramento reports that this is what happened to some new residents who moved into the Lakeside Estates community located in El Dorado Hills, California. The Lakeside Estates’ CC&Rs was written in 1959 and it still contains language that explicitly says only white people can live in the community.

“No person except those of the white Caucasian race shall use, occupy or reside upon any residential lot or plot, in this subdivision, except when employed as a servant or domestic in the household of a White Caucasian tenant or owner,” the clause in the CC&Rs reads.

It’s worth noting that this rule is not at all enforced anymore, and there are several non-white people who do live in the community.

Nonetheless, some new families who have just moved to the area found this clause to be “mind boggling,” and they’re vowing to get the CC&Rs changed.

“I just don’t think in this day and age that’s how things should be, and I just want to set that stage for the world that my kids are gonna grow up in,” said Cameron Foster, a new resident to the community who is launching a signature drive among community residents to get the racist language removed from the CC&Rs.

most them cac families prolly looked out the window like, "? are those ? doin' here?"
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »
    Like Water wrote: »
    This happened to me and the wife a few years ago when we were looking into buying a condo. The condo was everything we wanted at the time, but it happened to be in a older, white neighborhood. (Looking back, I shouldn't have wanted to live in that ? in the 1st place, so I take partial blame.)

We had the credit, the dough, and everything was good. The realtor told us she would get back to us. Less than a half hour later she called and said the place had been sold and she made a mistake by even showing it to us in the first place.

While looking for new places the next day, we saw that it hadn't been sold and they had raised the price substantially. We called the realtor up and asked her "wtf" and she couldn't even lie right. Smh.

That place didn't sell until we were 3 months into our new spot, and it sold for 10k less than what we would have paid for it.

Yeah, that redlining ? is still very real.

Isn't that a lawsuit

Maybe. Me and the wife weren't on that ? at the time. We weren't going to be anywhere we weren't wanted. "Lawsuit" was the last thing on our minds.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    buy land, build a house. ? u wanna be surrounded by bigots for?

Exactly. I don't understand why people get mad about ? like this. How about successful black people build up some black communities instead of trying to get racist white people to let you in theirs?
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Restrictive covenants have been legally unenforceable for almost 70 years.
  • white sympathizer
    white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? you trying to be in them communities for anyway?

Full of crusty ass old ? that gotta drive 10 miles to grab something to eat
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    916 we made it!
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Max. wrote: »
    916 we made it!

Why am I not surprised?
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall fail to see that rich white people, usually have the best land.

Exactly. I don't understand why people get mad about ? like this. How about successful black people build up some black communities instead of trying to get racist white people to let you in theirs?

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No they don't. It's only good land because they've developed it. Black people have some prime locations. Why do you think they are so quick to try and gentrify every damn thing?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • b'mer...
    b'mer... Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fox news will some how blame this on, u kno who! OBAMA! smh...
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    B-b-but I don't see race in 2016.

They still do.
  • Vellum
    Vellum Members Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options

This is untrue. Only true if you havent traveled. Ive been to ? ? new mexico, where lets just say, a ? ? still purchased like 50 acres and a ? broken down house for under 100k. Granted its mostly farming ? , and the weather hasnt been in their favor, but 10 miles up are HUGE houses, and dairy farms.

Basically, if it wasnt just poor folks owning all this land for cheap, and more money came in to do something with it, maybe something could get done.

Dont assume most of these white folks with houses and land are rich. Theyre ready to buy out like every ? body else. They aint even thinking about no race wars, or even politics. Just finally getting a win at 50 years old is good for them.
  • Vellum
    Options

Because thats ? you money youre talking about. Money of which even upper class anyone doesnt wanna toss away just to have land.

If you want a house to be an investment these days, youre gonna have to most likely try to fit in with the whites. The thing is, most minorities in general dont know that its still open season out here for cheap houses in good areas. They havent traveled enough. They think, this one part i wanted to move to didnt accept us, or was too much, so ? it all. WELL THEN MOVE!

Right now someones complaining about this type of ? . Meanwhile there is a bomb ass house for half the price in Arkansas somewhere, and the neighbors are fine. I know people cant just up and move everything on a dime. Im just saying, to be elite, and have elite ? . Being on the move to learn, and find the good ? is a prerequisite.

Funny thing is, ive experienced racism in liberal ass california, and none in the south. lol. You just gotta network man. Take road trips for fun when you can. Travel. You dont where you might be shocked where you would be comfortable living.

Black and brown folks been bossin up, moving all over for centuries. No time to get scary now. Move to idaho. Make it poppin.

The biggest advantage white people have in america is, minorities are likely too scared to travel and find out their little paradise in a random state you never thought about.
  • Vellum
    Options

I hear ya. Black folks have Bowie, Maryland. Almost half black, and upper middle class, to upper class as ? . They exist out here. Ive dated a couple shorties who lived there.

Just gotta keep building on ? like that.
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Vellum wrote: »

Because thats ? you money youre talking about. Money of which even upper class anyone doesnt wanna toss away just to have land.

If you want a house to be an investment these days, youre gonna have to most likely try to fit in with the whites. The thing is, most minorities in general dont know that its still open season out here for cheap houses in good areas. They havent traveled enough. They think, this one part i wanted to move to didnt accept us, or was too much, so ? it all. WELL THEN MOVE!

Right now someones complaining about this type of ? . Meanwhile there is a bomb ass house for half the price in Arkansas somewhere, and the neighbors are fine. I know people cant just up and move everything on a dime. Im just saying, to be elite, and have elite ? . Being on the move to learn, and find the good ? is a prerequisite.

Funny thing is, ive experienced racism in liberal ass california, and none in the south. lol. You just gotta network man. Take road trips for fun when you can. Travel. You dont where you might be shocked where you would be comfortable living.

Black and brown folks been bossin up, moving all over for centuries. No time to get scary now. Move to idaho. Make it poppin.

The biggest advantage white people have in america is, minorities are likely too scared to travel and find out their little paradise in a random state you never thought about.

somethings are more important than money
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they want our money but not our company
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its California. Who is shocked??
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sounds like the textbook Malcolm X definition of a House ? .

https://youtu.be/dlDOnX_qE8Y
    (1:51-2:20)

• numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is why you shouldn't attend southern universities.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    This happened to me and the wife a few years ago when we were looking into buying a condo. The condo was everything we wanted at the time, but it happened to be in a older, white neighborhood. (Looking back, I shouldn't have wanted to live in that ? in the 1st place, so I take partial blame.)

We had the credit, the dough, and everything was good. The realtor told us she would get back to us. Less than a half hour later she called and said the place had been sold and she made a mistake by even showing it to us in the first place.

While looking for new places the next day, we saw that it hadn't been sold and they had raised the price substantially. We called the realtor up and asked her "wtf" and she couldn't even lie right. Smh.

That place didn't sell until we were 3 months into our new spot, and it sold for 10k less than what we would have paid for it.

Yeah, that redlining ? is still very real.

It's psychosis. They laugh at us being poor and get angry when we make money and accelerating in life. It's an endless cycle of ? .