Can Anybody Who Knows Anything About Science Explain To Me Why I Can See The Moon In The Morning?

Options
Preach2Teach
Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's 10.35am over here in the UK and I can see the moon in the morning sky, shouldn't that ? be on the other side of the world right now? I took a picture but there is no point in posting it because it does not capture it as good as my eyes did, so what's the deal science folks?

Comments

• b'mer...
    b'mer... Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Basicly, its luminosity, size and close proximity yo the earth. Plus its lunar cycle plays a pivotal role as well. But SHHHHH! Dont tell the people that believe that the earth is flat...smh!
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's 10.35am over here in the UK and I can see the moon in the morning sky, shouldn't that ? be on the other side of the world right now? I took a picture but there is no point in posting it because it does not capture it as good as my eyes did, so what's the deal science folks?

Things don't coordinate the way you're thinking they do. Whether it's day or night depends on the earth's rotation and its relationship with the sun. Whether or not you see the moon depends on the earth's rotation and the moon's revolution around the earth. Your side of the earth facing the sun doesn't preclude the moon from still being on your side of the earth.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kai wrote: »
    Depending where the moon is in it's orbits allows you to see both sometimes, and sometimes very close together.

Moon-Phases-N.gif

In this goofy animation when the moon is closest to the sun you will see both sun and moon in the sky.

Had to Google that huh, dumb ?

Where did this anger come from?

You've apparently missed a few IC wars brotha man
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Light

Cuz its there whether u see it or not

Sometimes u can catch a pla et beaming in the dalight too
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »
    Light

Cuz its there whether u see it or not

Sometimes u can catch a pla et beaming in the dalight too

Sometimes, got to be Venus or Mars. The others don't really reflect enough light to be seen in daylight. That said, people see planets a lot more than they think they do. A lot of the time when people see particularly bright stars, they aren't stars at all. Not that this means anything to big city dwellers. Ya'll wouldn't know one way or the other cause ya'll don't see ? .
  • Preach2Teach
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, OK I have one more question that is gonna sound dumb to some, I was watching a video on youtube that was saying other planets do not exist, so my question is has anyone on here ever actually seen another planet with their own eyes? also has anybody ever seen the international space station?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, OK I have one more question that is gonna sound dumb to some, I was watching a video on youtube that was saying other planets do not exist, so my question is has anyone on here ever actually seen another planet with their own eyes? also has anybody ever seen the international space station?

lol You should be careful how much stock you put in random Youtube videos. Yes, many people have seen videos with their own eyes. Like I said before Mars and Venus are pretty bright. You can see them with your naked eye and get decent detail with even a basic telescope.

As for the space station, I've heard you can see that with a telescope to under a clear sky, but unless you actually been out in space, you probably aren't going to see it with any detail.
  • the dukester
    the dukester Members Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kai wrote: »
    The moon is actually visible during the day more often than not, it's not usually only when it's a full or new moon. Often just don't see it because of cloud coverage and it being overcast. So you know all of the moonlight you see is reflected sunlight. So if it's a particularly bright day with clear skies, you will see the moon because it's reflecting all that sunlight. The moon needs to be above the horizon for us to see it, and it is so for about 12 hours or the day, so if all the other conditions are right, and there is enough sunlight, you'll see the moon during the day.

Beat me to it.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What videos have you been watching?
  • Preach2Teach
    edited August 2016
    Options
    ^^^

I went through a flat earth theory binge some weeks back, I watched wayyy to many video's and became obsessed, I watched so many video's I wouldn't know which one to show you, the one that said there are no other planets sounds like ? , but the only way I can know for sure is to see it with my own eyes, also watched some saying the ISS is faked and filmed with a green screen.

• AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man when I first saw the thread title i thought this was gonna be another dinasours never existed type thread. Still hope it might. That whole thread was comedy.
  • Preach2Teach
    Options
    Here's a short video, let me know what you all think..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkkLO4oEQS4