Rittz Details Impact Of OutKast's "ATLiens" Album 20 Years After It's Release

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
Rittz_08-26-2016-714x536.jpg

On the week of the 20th anniversary of OutKast’s ATLiens album, Strange Music’s Rittz chopped it up with Unique Access Ent. about the impact of the group’s sophomore album.

Given that OutKast’s first album, Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik was such a rare sound sonically, Rittz recalled the anticipation that led up to the release of ATLiens, which dropped on August 27, 1996.

The Georgia rapper also gave credit to Master P, UGK, and 8Ball & MJG for putting the South on, as well.

“Nobody had heard anything like that before their first album, so you just wanted to know where they were gonna go next,” Rittz said. “‘Elevators’ came you never heard nothing like that before…The South wasn’t really represented at that point, which they were starting to be. ’96 you started getting–Master P started slowly coming along. And of course 8Ball & MJG. UGK. But OutKast to me started the whole–especially for me being from Georgia. And the sound was so unique. When I hear ATLiens it’s like a different smell in the air.”

Rittz, who was 16-years-old when ATLiens was released, later applauded OutKast for offering a sound that was both new and refreshing.

“Just the rap skills, period,” he said. “Nobody’s heard anything like that before…It’s like when Snoop Dogg came out. You never heard that before. When Eminem came out. You never heard that before. When OutKast came out. You never heard that before. It’s just at certain times there’s people that come along that bring something so new and so refreshing. And OutKast is definitely one of them.”

Video of Rittz speaking on OutKast’s ATLiens album, can be found below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrhkTLmv4a8

Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    My favorite Outkast album. Babylon is my favorite song on there.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    I'm pretty sure "Elevators" was the first Outkast record I ever heard, watchin videos living in Hawaii. Video and beat had a ? like

8dx471hs2nbv.gif
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    OutKast is the grandfather of the sound that created Kanye West, Kendrick Lamar, Logic, KRIT, J.Cole and over half a dozen MCs yall see NOW. From lyricism to production.

There's no other group in Hip-Hop or artist with more classics than OutKast. Literally most if not all their albums except for Idlewild (which shouldn't count because it's a soundtrack) are classics. They were one of the first to drop an album and have a movie accompany it with tonality from their albums (speaker box/love below and Idlewild, if you notice how Dre and Big Boi were separated on camera most of the time). ? can hate but you can't deny OutKast impact on the game.

I assumed De La Soul and Tribe were the forefathers of that sound?
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rittz is ill. Top of the Line is one of the best albums released this year.