Colin Kaepernick refuses “to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people”...

Options

Comments

• Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    That’s not racist.

Corny af. But nah... not racist.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Based on the article from the Washington Post this a group that has Michael Bennett as one of the leaders.

• Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I’d be disappointed if he signed now. May as well get that lawsuit money and be full time activist
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/361001-country-singer-mocking-nfl-protests-goes-viral
    Country singer mocking NFL protests goes viral

A country music singer is taking aim at the NFL protests with a new song called “Take a Knee, My Ass (I Won’t Take a Knee).”

Neal McCoy performed the song for an audience earlier this month and recorded it on Facebook Live. The video of the performance has garnered nearly 70,000 reactions.

“When I see someone on TV take their stand by bending their knee, whether it be on astro turf or grass," McCoy sings. "I think of those whose freedom was not free, and I say: ‘Take a knee — my ass!’ ”

The song is a response to the protests against police brutality and racial inequality, where dozens of professional athletes — primarily in the NFL — kneeled during the national anthem before games.

The protests sparked outcry from conservatives, who said the action was disrespectful to the military.

President Trump also slammed the protests, calling for NFL team owners to fire players who refused to stand during the national anthem.

“I’ve been on 15 USO tours,” McCoy told reporters. “I’ve entertained our troops in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq and all over the world. So, no, this is not a money grab. This is a guy that believes in our country, that does not like people kneeling, not standing with their hands over their hearts, for the Pledge of Allegiance and the National Anthem. That’s what I’m about.”

McCoy has filmed himself saying the Pledge of Allegiance nearly 700 times on Facebook.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2017/11/nj_bar_that_turned_off_nfl_games_to_honor_vets_wil.html
    N.J. bar that turned off NFL games to honor vets will continue boycott

FARMINGDALE -- The bar that decided to boycott NFL games last weekend in honor of Veterans Day Weekend has decided to extend its blackout until football players stop their protest of police brutality during the national anthem.

Woody's Roadside Tavern in Farmingdale said on its Facebook page it was continuing its protest of the NFL until every player stood during the anthem.

"We have decided to continue to stand with our military moving forward and not show the NFL games at Woody's until ALL the players stand to honor our anthem and flag," Woody's wrote on its page.

Woody's held a fundraiser for veterans last Sunday instead of showing the games. More than $8,000 was raised, according to their Facebook page.

Co-owner of Woody's told NJ Advance Media last week the idea came from a customer who was a veteran and upset by players taking a knee during the anthem.

"They're 100 percent behind the right to protest, that's one of the greatest thing about our country but they just feel like (the players) take the national anthem, our flag, to a whole other level," co-owner Rob Johnson previously said. "If you want to protest, that's fine. But veterans hold (the flag) in such a revered place in their hearts."

Calls to the bar on Saturday went unanswered. A message left for the bar owners was not immediately returned.

• Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2017/11/nj_bar_that_turned_off_nfl_games_to_honor_vets_wil.html
    N.J. bar that turned off NFL games to honor vets will continue boycott

FARMINGDALE -- The bar that decided to boycott NFL games last weekend in honor of Veterans Day Weekend has decided to extend its blackout until football players stop their protest of police brutality during the national anthem.

Woody's Roadside Tavern in Farmingdale said on its Facebook page it was continuing its protest of the NFL until every player stood during the anthem.

"We have decided to continue to stand with our military moving forward and not show the NFL games at Woody's until ALL the players stand to honor our anthem and flag," Woody's wrote on its page.

Woody's held a fundraiser for veterans last Sunday instead of showing the games. More than $8,000 was raised, according to their Facebook page.

Co-owner of Woody's told NJ Advance Media last week the idea came from a customer who was a veteran and upset by players taking a knee during the anthem.

"They're 100 percent behind the right to protest, that's one of the greatest thing about our country but they just feel like (the players) take the national anthem, our flag, to a whole other level," co-owner Rob Johnson previously said. "If you want to protest, that's fine. But veterans hold (the flag) in such a revered place in their hearts."

Calls to the bar on Saturday went unanswered. A message left for the bar owners was not immediately returned.

It's not about veterans. ? mongrels.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    https://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/bob-glauber/olivier-vernon-kneeling-national-anthem-1.15019262
    Giants’ Olivier Vernon says he’ll continue to kneel during national anthem

When the national anthem is played before Sunday’s Giants-Chiefs game, Olivier Vernon will continue to do what he has done since the third week of the season.

He will take a knee.

Vernon is the only Giants player who continues to protest during the national anthem, and he plans to do so for the foreseeable future.

Still hoping to raise awareness about social injustice and racial inequality in America, the defensive end will not relent in the face of criticism that continues to come his way from fans who believe he is disrespecting the military by not standing for the anthem.

“What it would take for me to stand is if people can understand what the whole message is behind it,” Vernon told Newsday. “That would actually help a whole lot, but everybody doesn’t see things that way and tries to distort what the message was from the beginning, which is basically social injustice on African-Americans and police brutality.”

Vernon understands that not everyone respects his decision to take a knee, but he remains convinced that the best way to draw attention to the issues he’s most concerned about is to continue his form of protest.

He has attempted to draw a distinction over why he is still kneeling by stressing that it’s not meant as a sign of disrespect toward the military, and he referenced Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett’s comments before the Seattle-Arizona game on Nov. 9.

Bennett stood for the anthem for the first time this season, telling reporters that he did so in advance of Veterans Day as a sign of respect for the military.

“It was to signify that we are all with the military, and that we love them,” Bennett said after the game. “There has been this narrative that we don’t care about the military. Today, we were honoring the military, so we wanted to be able to honor the military.”

Vernon agreed with that sentiment, although he is aware that his explanation rings hollow with fans who resent players who don’t stand for the anthem.

“It has nothing to do with the anthem or the military,” he said. “Michael Bennett, he addressed it that Thursday night. People talk about not respecting police, you don’t respect the military. My father was in law enforcement, so what are you talking about? My father agrees with me. I have friends that are in the military that agree with me. The people that get the biggest voice are the people that disagree with [the anthem protests]. The people that do agree with it, they have no voice at all, which I don’t understand.”

Would there ever come a time that he would stand for the anthem?

“Unless we can work something out and find the solution and try to address what the real issue is,” he said, “I’ll continue to take a knee. I really don’t care what people outside have to say. I just believe in what’s right and what’s wrong, and I’m going to show support for what I believe in.”

Vernon has been heartened somewhat by the increased dialogue among players and NFL owners, who have held a series of discussions about the anthem protests. But those talks were interrupted late last month after comments made by Texans owner Bob McNair, who said during a meeting about the anthem protests with owners and some league executives that they “can’t have the inmates running the prison.”

Many players took that comment to mean that McNair likened them to inmates, although McNair said in a statement that he was referring to league executives, not the players. Many players, including Vernon, remain skeptical of McNair’s motivation.

“That was very shocking, to say the least,” Vernon said. “I know [players and owners] were making efforts to come up with something and try and put something in place, but I don’t know what the future holds on that.”

Vernon said he continues to be criticized for not standing but that he tries to ignore most of it.

“I get [criticism] all the time,” he said. “If it was anything that actually bothered me, I would care. There’s stuff that some people say that comes out of their mouth that is just ignorant and uneducated, so I just keep it moving and I don’t really address anything anybody has to say. If they can’t come at me on something intellectual, then I don’t have a response for you.”

He also isn’t concerned by the recent television ratings decline, at least some of which has been attributed to fans being turned off by the anthem protests.

“At the end of the day, there’s a First Amendment right as an American citizen,” Vernon said. “You have a right to protest peacefully. Protests aren’t supposed to be comfortable. Some people aren’t going to understand.”
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

Literally made me lol when he threw in attendance(which is a lie) and ratings are way down, this is the world we live in, where the "president" of the united states is tweeting about marshawn lynch...and lavar ball, smh now ima have to see and hear bout this ? on sports talk and sport media sites all ? day
  • eastbay510
    eastbay510 Members Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Every time the protest during the anthem issue is kinda dying down this idiot brings it back up.

It’s clear that they think attacking black athletes is an easy target for his base, and they fall for that ? every time.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    eastbay510 wrote: »
    Every time the protest during the anthem issue is kinda dying down this idiot brings it back up.

It’s clear that they think attacking black athletes is an easy target for his base, and they fall for that ? every time.

They don't "think" that they already "KNOW" that. His base been thought that Trump is just the voice that gets to say it and masses of people get to see, read and hear it.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://thehill.com/homenews/news/361135-ex-nfl-star-protests-should-have-been-stopped-at-the-very-beginning
    Ex-NFL star: Protests should have been stopped 'at the very beginning'

A former NFL player said the protests during the national anthem should have been stopped from the start.

“I absolutely think the protests are so upsetting, and I blame the commissioner,” Herschel Walker said, referring to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, according to the New York Post.

“I know people are going to be angry when I say it, but he should have stopped the protests at the very beginning."

Walker told the New York Post the flag is "very special."

"Black lives matter, but what we should do is go to Washington after the season and protest there instead," he said, according to the New York Post.

"We have young men and women fighting for the flag. And we have to respect the White House.”

In the 1980s, Walker played for President Trump's USFL New Jersey Generals.

President Trump spurred controversy earlier this year when he lashed out at NFL players for protesting during the national anthem.

Trump called for the NFL to implement a rule requiring players to stand during the anthem, saying it was disrespectful to the flag and the country's soldiers to kneel.

A poll earlier this month found a majority of voters disapprove of how Goodell has handled the protests during the national anthem.

At the league’s fall meeting last month, Goodell and several team owners decided they would not change the NFL’s policy to require players to stand.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/papa-johns-reversal-nfl-protests-wont-fly-164653920.html
    Why Papa John's reversal on NFL protests won't fly

Papa John’s is attempting a public reversal.

The company, on its official Twitter account, apologized last week for “statements made on our earnings call” two weeks earlier. On the Nov. 1 call, Papa John’s reported same-store sales growth of just 1% in the quarter, which missed analyst expectations. CEO John Schnatter blamed the flat sales on the NFL: “The NFL has hurt us by not resolving the current debacle to the players’ and owners’ satisfaction… NFL leadership has hurt Papa John’s shareholders.”

Now, in three tweets, Papa John’s says those comments “were describing the factors that impact our business and we sincerely apologize to anyone that thought they were divisive. That definitely was not our intention… We believe in the right to protest inequality and support the players’ movement to create a new platform for change. We also believe together, as Americans, we should honor our anthem. There is a way to do both.”

Is there, really?

Certainly it is possible for players to protest during the national anthem while still honoring the anthem and the flag — a number of players have sought alternate ways to do this, such as standing with linked arms rather than kneeling. But in 2017, football fans have generally not allowed brands to play to both sides of the political controversy hanging over this NFL season.

Papa John’s is trying to have it both ways at a time when consumers will not allow it.

Protests “should have been nipped in the bud”

Pizza lovers may find it difficult to take Papa John’s at its word when it now says, “We support the players’ movement,” because it is such a direct contradiction of comments Schnatter himself made on the earnings call.

Schnatter mentioned the NFL 44 times on the call. Among other digs at leadership, he most notably said that the player protests, “should have been nipped in the bud” by the NFL last season, when Colin Kaepernick first started kneeling. That comment matches comments made by President Donald Trump ; Schnatter donated to Trump’s campaign. Schnatter’s comment also matches comments made by Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who is currently fighting a “civil war” against his fellow owners and commissioner Roger Goodell. Jones is a Papa John’s franchisee, which has led some to speculate that Jones was behind Schnatter’s comments .

Now Schnatter’s company says it supports the players. But it also says, “We should honor our anthem.” And there is recent history to suggest that brands cannot effectively claim to do both at once.

Nike, Bose and other brands have taken sides

After the third weekend of this NFL season, when Trump unleashed a verbal tirade on the NFL at a Sept. 22 rally in Alabama and players across the league responded by kneeling or linking arms, NFL corporate sponsors were pushed to issue statements. Most stayed silent, but a handful issued statements that proved telling.

Nike was unequivocal: “Nike supports athletes and their right to freedom of expression on issues that are of great importance to our society.” Hyundai took the same tone: “We stand for and respect individuals’ freedoms to express their first amendment rights in any peaceful manner in which they choose. We also stand for inclusion, freedom and all that represents those values.”

Bose, on the other hand, put out a statement that emphasized the flag first, and ended with support for freedom of expression, but added a hedge: “Bose was founded in the United States, and our world headquarters is in Massachusetts, where it’s been for over 50 years. It’s now surrounded by several other Bose facilities — and at all of them, at all times, we proudly fly the American flag. It’s a symbol of our great country which protects the freedom for every person to express their views. We respect that freedom, whether we agree with those views or not.”

Under Armour issued a tweet that said the company “stands for the flag and by our Athletes for free speech, expression and a unified America.”

It was seen by many as an attempt to have it both ways. And there is relevant context here: Under Armour had been burned already this year for its political stance. In January, CEO Kevin Plank, in a CNBC interview, called Trump an “asset for this country.” That led Under Armour sponsored athletes like Steph Curry, Misty Copeland, and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson to speak out against Trump and Plank.

So it was understandable that Under Armour was reluctant to appear to take an obvious side either way (that is: for the player protests or against them, with Trump), but the effect was a net zero.

Papa John’s is attempting to do the same, but it’s two weeks late. Consumers might wonder: if Papa John’s is sorry for what Schnatter said, why did it take 14 days to say so? It appears more like an effort at PR damage control.

It’s worth noting, also, that Papa John’s didn’t pull back the actual claim that the NFL is to blame for its flat sales. It apologized not for the claims, but “to anyone that thought they were divisive.”

Of course, whether or not the NFL ratings dip is really the cause of Papa John’s disappointing sales is no longer the point. The larger question is how much damage has been done to the brand’s reputation after Schnatter’s comments, and after it was named the favorite pizza of Nazis .

And a middle-finger emoji directed to Nazis in a tweet isn’t likely to undo the damage overnight.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good. ? a Papa John's