Colin Kaepernick refuses “to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people”...

Options

Comments

• VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JJ_Evans wrote: »

Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan said Sunday he believes players and coaches should stand for the anthem to show respect and give thanks to members of the armed forces.

"You've got to look at the gifts that we have, the opportunity that we have to play a great game is through the men and women that serve our country," Ryan said before practice on Sunday. "And I think that's an opportunity right there just to show respect."

Hmmmm, I wonder why Rex Ryan is criticizing him.............

Oh yeah, I remember......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLk8MN4yXDA

Another racist ass NFL coach.

Another reason to say ? Rex Ryan. Nothing against the Bills but I hope they have their worse season this year. Glad he didn't become our coach or win one with the Jets
  • Vellum
    Vellum Members Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I find it funny how folks want these athletes to speak more on social issues, b/c of the platform they have. Yet when one does, especially pertaining to race, you get the Kap situation.

Hilarious.

Im pretty sure most black people are backing what he said, and most white people arent asking for their athletes to speak up more on social and political issues. They usually delegate that to other idiots who pretend they know stuff (politicians and bias journalist), and people that actually know what theyre talking about.

I think white people are more upset hes not one of them, vs the national anthem ? . They probably feel betrayed, like oh ? , hes one of those BLM people now. I bet if kaep mentioned ZERO about race, and just said he didnt stand because hes saddened by whats going on in our country with violence, and hes upset at the presidential candidates that have made it to the final pick. NO ONE would be on his ass about this ? . Theyd probably pat him on the back and say, cheer up buddy. He brings up race, as a biracial, multimillionaire raised by white people, and everyones losing their ? . lol

This ? will die soon. Kaeps stance isnt a big deal, and hes not offering anything that isnt some twitter 101 basics ? to the conversation. There is an 8 year old right now that can regurgitate the same ? he said.

I aint mad at him though. Just bored with mediocre minds chiming in on this ? . Meanwhile the balanced, very intelligent voices to these varying issues we face in America are all but unheard by black men and women, are only heard by a minority of people in general, and are a silenced minority by the media at that.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These people and the armed forces rhetoric.

I really don't know how some of you deal with that ? on a consistent basis.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some of yall some wild ass ? to have any complaints about the stand this man is taking.

Victor Cruz a ? for the record. This ? and other like him talking about no matter what respect the flag. FOH with that sucka ? . Folks need to realize those go along to get along ? are a problem. If you not one of them its in your best interest to not have them around you.

How the ? can somebody its not the time or place to make that kind of statement? Its the perfect time and place.
  • NCswag
    NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This paper bag colored ? waits until he's benched to start acting up. He wants to get releases and get paid, not stand up for black folks. He did that ? like once last preseason, now he says he won't stop? ? outta here ? .
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NCswag wrote: »
    This paper bag colored ? waits until he's benched to start acting up. He wants to get releases and get paid, not stand up for black folks. He did that ? like once last preseason, now he says he won't stop? ? outta here ? .

Troll away
  • MrMinimalist
    MrMinimalist Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ol boy was in jail/prison when he wrote the national anthem. Smh
  • NCswag
    Options
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »

Troll away

Stop believing ? ? trying to throw ? on injustice and look at FSCTS. The 49ers were known to be shopping Colin around. They DON'T WANT HIM and his contract. So you magically wait until now to not respect the flag? This same ? been going on to black folks since his rookie year. Did he do that ? when he was fighting for a roster spot? ? no. But you can say I am trolling if you want to, it's cool l.
  • NCswag
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

Troll away

Stop believing ? ? trying to throw ? on injustice and look at FSCTS. The 49ers were known to be shopping Colin around. They DON'T WANT HIM and his contract. So you magically wait until now to not respect the flag? This same ? been going on to black folks since his rookie year. Did he do that ? when he was fighting for a roster spot? ? no. But you can say I am trolling if you want to, it's cool l.

Thats a ? line of reasoning for calling what he's doing ? .

People grow and become more cognizant of things at different times in their lives. Right now might just be that time for him to go public with what he has been realizing for a while now. Kapernick even said that he had to become educated on everything that was happening before he went public with his stance. That makes a lot sense to me.

I agree to disagree.
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options

Troll away

? gon ?
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

Troll away

Thats a ? line of reasoning for calling what he's doing ? .

People grow and become more cognizant of things at different times in their lives. Right now might just be that time for him to go public with what he has been realizing for a while now. Kapernick even said that he had to become educated on everything that was happening before he went public with his stance. That makes a lot sense to me.

I agree to disagree.

Cool
  • NCswag
    Options

Troll away

? gon ?

This is an ecample of why people of all other races believe that black people can't have conversations without being ignorant.....and you know what? Generally they are right.
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article98495462.html
    Dolphins ? Foster on Colin Kaepernick: ‘I understand 100 percent what he’s doing’

? Foster knows all too well that racial profiling and police misconduct toward African Americans are real problems. He has experienced them.

Foster, the Dolphins running back, was barely a teenager when California cops pulled over his dad driving north on Interstate 5 between San Diego and Los Angeles.

“They told us to get out of the car, all of our clothes got pulled out of the bag and then said, ‘Y’all have a good day,’ ” Foster said. “Never told us why we were pulled over. I know my rights, but there are certain things you’re taught to do as a young man that won’t get you killed. Those are the confrontations that we have with police officers on a regular basis in our communities. And that’s what Colin Kaepernick is trying to portray.”

Kaepernick is the San Francisco 49ers quarterback who has refused to stand for the singing of the national anthem this preseason, an emotionally charged protest that has made him the target of national ridicule — and some praise — in recent days.

Kaepernick explained his reasoning to NFL.com: “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football, and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

Kaepernick’s pointed criticism of law enforcement has, of course, triggered a backlash. But not from Foster, who agreed with Kaepernick’s stand on the merits, if not his tactics.

Foster, who often spoke out on issues important to him while with the Houston Texans, including domestic violence and alcohol abuse, said he would not refuse to stand during the playing of the national anthem, but understands why Kaepernick did so.

“I don’t necessarily see that as a solution to anything,” Foster said. “This is me talking. This is ? talking. If that’s what he felt, that’s his form of protest, I support his right to protest. Those are his thoughts, his opinions.”

Foster continued: “I understand 100 percent what he’s doing. He’s frustrated, just like me. He’s just like my brother. He’s just like my cousins out there. He’s frustrated. It’s hard seeing people get murdered and killed without repercussions.”

Foster’s No. 1 issue with the rash of police shootings is a lack of value granted to the lives lost. Cops who fire their service weapons are rarely prosecuted. And news outlets are quick to publish a mug shot and criminal record if the victim has one.

That angers Foster. And he won’t keep quiet about it. He spent much of Sunday engaging with dissenters on Twitter, including ex-Texans teammate T.J. Yates, who was critical of Kaepernick’s decision.

“I speak my mind,” Foster said. “I’m active in the communities. I try to educate young brothers that are in gangs and victims of what people don’t understand — this is a systemic problem that’s been going on for generations.

“If you think about it, Marvin Gaye had a great song, “Inner City Blues,” where he said ‘trigger-happy policing.’ That same sentiment is being said 40 years later. Is everybody crazy, or is something actually going on? I think that’s the dialogue that Colin Kaepernick is trying to get started. Would I not stand up for the pledge [of allegiance]? Me? No. I don’t see the correlation, in my opinion. But I understand what he’s doing. The backlash that he’s getting, that’s what I don’t understand. Sports have been used for protest for years.”

So what if a Dolphins player decided to use sports to protest?

Coach Adam Gase would generally be OK with it.

“Every guy’s got their position on certain things,” Gase said. “They’re able to express it in certain ways. There’s nothing that says they can’t do that. Our guys in our locker room, if they have certain stances they stand behind, then it’s not my right to say you can’t do that.”

Foster is one of those guys. “Racism is still alive” in the United States, he believes. And social media regularly makes his point. He’s received many tweets from people saying that if he doesn’t like this country, he can leave.

To that, he responded: “What do you mean? Where can I go? ... African Americans are the only people in America who don’t have a heritage, because of slavery. We’re descendants of genocide, and people don’t like to talk about that. It’s the truth. We’re the descendants of genocide. So when you say, ‘You can leave,’ where to? I don’t know where my people come from. Am I from the Congo? Am I from Kenya? Am I from the Ivory Coast?

“I have no idea where my lineage comes from, and that is a huge issue as to why there’s a self-identity crisis in our neighborhoods. We’re taught to hate ourselves for generations. And people are just quick to say, ‘Get over it. Get over it. Slavery happened a long time ago.’ I grew up in a domestically violent household. There are effects that I grew up with and had to deal with emotional issues growing up with domestic violence in my house. That’s one generation removed. Now here’s 300 years of slavery, you’ve seen your people get people, have them told you aren’t anything. Written in laws that they’re three-fifths a human being for 300 years. You’re telling me there’s no psychological effects that won’t trickle down in your bloodline? Of course there are. Until this country addresses is, this will happen.”

Talk that talk ? Foster. I'm glad he spoke out again and speaking his truth.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article98495462.html
    Dolphins ? Foster on Colin Kaepernick: ‘I understand 100 percent what he’s doing’

? Foster knows all too well that racial profiling and police misconduct toward African Americans are real problems. He has experienced them.

Foster, the Dolphins running back, was barely a teenager when California cops pulled over his dad driving north on Interstate 5 between San Diego and Los Angeles.

“They told us to get out of the car, all of our clothes got pulled out of the bag and then said, ‘Y’all have a good day,’ ” Foster said. “Never told us why we were pulled over. I know my rights, but there are certain things you’re taught to do as a young man that won’t get you killed. Those are the confrontations that we have with police officers on a regular basis in our communities. And that’s what Colin Kaepernick is trying to portray.”

Kaepernick is the San Francisco 49ers quarterback who has refused to stand for the singing of the national anthem this preseason, an emotionally charged protest that has made him the target of national ridicule — and some praise — in recent days.

Kaepernick explained his reasoning to NFL.com: “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football, and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

Kaepernick’s pointed criticism of law enforcement has, of course, triggered a backlash. But not from Foster, who agreed with Kaepernick’s stand on the merits, if not his tactics.

Foster, who often spoke out on issues important to him while with the Houston Texans, including domestic violence and alcohol abuse, said he would not refuse to stand during the playing of the national anthem, but understands why Kaepernick did so.

“I don’t necessarily see that as a solution to anything,” Foster said. “This is me talking. This is ? talking. If that’s what he felt, that’s his form of protest, I support his right to protest. Those are his thoughts, his opinions.”

Foster continued: “I understand 100 percent what he’s doing. He’s frustrated, just like me. He’s just like my brother. He’s just like my cousins out there. He’s frustrated. It’s hard seeing people get murdered and killed without repercussions.”

Foster’s No. 1 issue with the rash of police shootings is a lack of value granted to the lives lost. Cops who fire their service weapons are rarely prosecuted. And news outlets are quick to publish a mug shot and criminal record if the victim has one.

That angers Foster. And he won’t keep quiet about it. He spent much of Sunday engaging with dissenters on Twitter, including ex-Texans teammate T.J. Yates, who was critical of Kaepernick’s decision.

“I speak my mind,” Foster said. “I’m active in the communities. I try to educate young brothers that are in gangs and victims of what people don’t understand — this is a systemic problem that’s been going on for generations.

“If you think about it, Marvin Gaye had a great song, “Inner City Blues,” where he said ‘trigger-happy policing.’ That same sentiment is being said 40 years later. Is everybody crazy, or is something actually going on? I think that’s the dialogue that Colin Kaepernick is trying to get started. Would I not stand up for the pledge [of allegiance]? Me? No. I don’t see the correlation, in my opinion. But I understand what he’s doing. The backlash that he’s getting, that’s what I don’t understand. Sports have been used for protest for years.”

So what if a Dolphins player decided to use sports to protest?

Coach Adam Gase would generally be OK with it.

“Every guy’s got their position on certain things,” Gase said. “They’re able to express it in certain ways. There’s nothing that says they can’t do that. Our guys in our locker room, if they have certain stances they stand behind, then it’s not my right to say you can’t do that.”

Foster is one of those guys. “Racism is still alive” in the United States, he believes. And social media regularly makes his point. He’s received many tweets from people saying that if he doesn’t like this country, he can leave.

To that, he responded: “What do you mean? Where can I go? ... African Americans are the only people in America who don’t have a heritage, because of slavery. We’re descendants of genocide, and people don’t like to talk about that. It’s the truth. We’re the descendants of genocide. So when you say, ‘You can leave,’ where to? I don’t know where my people come from. Am I from the Congo? Am I from Kenya? Am I from the Ivory Coast?

“I have no idea where my lineage comes from, and that is a huge issue as to why there’s a self-identity crisis in our neighborhoods. We’re taught to hate ourselves for generations. And people are just quick to say, ‘Get over it. Get over it. Slavery happened a long time ago.’ I grew up in a domestically violent household. There are effects that I grew up with and had to deal with emotional issues growing up with domestic violence in my house. That’s one generation removed. Now here’s 300 years of slavery, you’ve seen your people get people, have them told you aren’t anything. Written in laws that they’re three-fifths a human being for 300 years. You’re telling me there’s no psychological effects that won’t trickle down in your bloodline? Of course there are. Until this country addresses is, this will happen.”

had to post this ? on facebook, and i typically stray from these debates on there....
  • Vellum
    Vellum Members Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hear you ? Foster. I just wanna say, um, you cant blame your father whooping your mothers ass on slavery. Not everything can be blamed to racism, or slavery. Some things are just people ? up, and they have to lay in the bed they made. Your father was simply a coward. Like many of our fathers. Racism didnt hold many of them back. Just being a little scared ? did.

Even crazy Ann Coulter says that the only people that are owed anything in america are black people. Im not denying the economical and psychological effects racism and slavery have had on black people for generations, but im not so sure the psychological effects of that racism still factors in as strongly in current generations 40 and under.

This idea that young brothas across america who are killing each other, robbing each other, impregnating women out of wedlock and not taking care of their children, not going to college, not working, is not just them ? up is a hard pill to swallow.

I cant just keep spending my life defaulting back to racism to try to explain away everything while progressing forward in life. At the end of the day, stupid people exist, and stupid ? happens. But sitting around waiting for someone to acknowledge my feelings isnt putting money in my bank account, because no black person in america is ever getting reparations in the form of a big fat check in your account.

Im sure ? Foster would agree with that statement, considering hard work got him to where he is, and continued hard work will allow him to help others get out of their situations too. Not sitting around crying about racism, which im sure had the least negative impact in his life, considering he grew up in a household of drug abuse and domestic violence like many of us.