When was the last time America needed to be defended?

Options
soul rattler
soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
People are quick to mentioned the armed forces whenever someone criticizes the US as a nation and as a country. They go "People served and died to protect and defend this country."

But when was the last time America needed to be defended as opposed to being the aggressor? And before you say 9/11, there was no defense there. It happened and no one tried to stop it until it was too late.

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Pearl Harbor...which was similar to 9/11 to be honest. But the USA hasn't had foreign soldiers on the soil since the Revolutionary War...unless you count the Civil War.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Foreign soldiers in America is an interesting thing to me because it's damn near unheard of

I guess I have to watch red dawn
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Abraxas wrote: »
    It depends on what sense you consider defended... I'd wager the vast majority of military action in our country's entire existence was to protect our socioeconomic supremacy...

Of which is clearly considered just as important by the military industrial complex as literal invasion.

Word

After reading this Id say Libya

9/11 was not a direct act of war because it was civilians attacking civilians, Pearl Harbor was a military act on a military base

Pearl Harbor is the best answer, unless Trump wins then we're open

• Ghost313
    Ghost313 Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The US has its nose in so many foreign affairs. A lot of our soldiers die fighting wars that they would never comprehend.
  • Vellum
    Vellum Members Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Soldiers on the ground fighting us in America is essentially impossible at this point for anyone. Besides our military power, and technology. We're the most heavily armed group of citizens on planet earth.

You also have to remember that two oceans separate us from countries that have the largest issues with us. Invasion is basically impossible. The only thing they can do is shoot missiles at us, and do random terrorist attacks here and there. The missiles wont work.

Even when Americans are yelling at each other about ? , we galvanize pretty quickly and angrily against a legit enemy of us. The last thing a country wants is us on their ass. Which is why its kind of shocking we havent figured out this ISIS ? yet, and just went ham on them. Im still learning something new everyday about ISIS and radical islam though, so im sure im missing some not so obvious subtleties of this, besides collateral damage, that is keeping us from going ham on radical islamic terrorist in general.

• b'mer...
    b'mer... Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A month ago...trump accepted the Republican nomination for president...
  • soul rattler
    Options
    Vellum wrote: »
    Soldiers on the ground fighting us in America is essentially impossible at this point for anyone. Besides our military power, and technology. We're the most heavily armed group of citizens on planet earth.

You also have to remember that two oceans separate us from countries that have the largest issues with us. Invasion is basically impossible. The only thing they can do is shoot missiles at us, and do random terrorist attacks here and there. The missiles wont work.

Even when Americans are yelling at each other about ? , we galvanize pretty quickly and angrily against a legit enemy of us. The last thing a country wants is us on their ass. Which is why its kind of shocking we havent figured out this ISIS ? yet, and just went ham on them. Im still learning something new everyday about ISIS and radical islam though, so im sure im missing some not so obvious subtleties of this, besides collateral damage, that is keeping us from going ham on radical islamic terrorist in general.

This is that W Bush ? . All it takes is for a country to fire missiles with no one here willing or able to launch deterrents.

This is why I made it clear that there's a difference between the US defending itself and being the aggressor. If I'm bigger than you, I'm not defending myself my running into your house picking a fight that I'm favored to win.
  • Vellum
    Vellum Members Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

1) This is that W Bush ? . All it takes is for a country to fire missiles with no one here willing or able to launch deterrents.

2) This is why I made it clear that there's a difference between the US defending itself and being the aggressor. If I'm bigger than you, I'm not defending myself my running into your house picking a fight that I'm favored to win.

Huh?

1) Do you actually think that is a real scenario that could happen. That North Korea fires rockets at America, and oops, hundreds of thousands dead because we forgot to go to work.

America has foreign relationships with plenty of other countries, that even if we went to sleep all at the same time for 4 days while this happened, one of our allies would handle it for us.

2) I dont even know what this is addressing in what i said. Are you saying America is just a bully country that starts ? it can finish because we can do what we want?

• Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Now. America needs defending from the Neo Gestopo and racist white supremacists.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's kind of an unfair stance to take because it could be argued that some of the pre-emptive actions taken by the military are at least part of the reason that the nation hasn't had to be defended. On the other hand, it could also be argued that some of those pre-emptive actions are also the reason we have some of the problems we have now.
  • soul rattler
    Options

1) This is that W Bush ? . All it takes is for a country to fire missiles with no one here willing or able to launch deterrents.

2) This is why I made it clear that there's a difference between the US defending itself and being the aggressor. If I'm bigger than you, I'm not defending myself my running into your house picking a fight that I'm favored to win.

Huh?

1) Do you actually think that is a real scenario that could happen. That North Korea fires rockets at America, and oops, hundreds of thousands dead because we forgot to go to work.

America has foreign relationships with plenty of other countries, that even if we went to sleep all at the same time for 4 days while this happened, one of our allies would handle it for us.

2) I dont even know what this is addressing in what i said. Are you saying America is just a bully country that starts ? it can finish because we can do what we want?

1. I'd be willing to bet that at this point, if it were to ever occur, no other nation would step up.
    2. Uh... yes?
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When the Mayflower pulled up
    #Bars
  • the dukester
    the dukester Members Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    9/11

It was recently revealed when the 28 un-redacted pages of the 9/11 commission report. Saudi Arabia trained and funded the 9/11 attackers.

Bin Laden didn't have ? to do with it. Neither did Saddam Hussein.

The attack was coordinated between the two countries to spike oil prices, and give no-bid contracts to George Bush's defense contractor crony's (and political kickbacks $$$ to fund his reelection). Additionally, his invasion of Iraq was a geographic strategic maneuver to protect Israel, and obtain the oil wells in Iraq.

Colin Powell fell on his sword, as a political stooge for the Bush administration, delivering a PowerPoint presentation to the United Nations lying about weapons of mass destruction.

The other attacks have been against African Americans. COINTELPRO, to eliminate the black panthers, and young inner city black men by this government.

30 years from now we'll read about a coordinated effort to destroy BLM, by this government.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Pearl Harbor...which was similar to 9/11 to be honest. But the USA hasn't had foreign soldiers on the soil since the Revolutionary War...unless you count the Civil War.

The War of 1812.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    9/11

It was recently revealed when the 28 un-redacted pages of the 9/11 commission report. Saudi Arabia trained and funded the 9/11 attackers.

Bin Laden didn't have ? to do with it. Neither did Saddam Hussein.

The attack was coordinated between the two countries to spike oil prices, and give no-bid contracts to George Bush's defense contractor crony's (and political kickbacks $$$ to fund his reelection). Additionally, his invasion of Iraq was a geographic strategic maneuver to protect Israel, and obtain the oil wells in Iraq.

Colin Powell fell on his sword, as a political stooge for the Bush administration, delivering a PowerPoint presentation to the United Nations lying about weapons of mass destruction.

The other attacks have been against African Americans. COINTELPRO, to eliminate the black panthers, and young inner city black men by this government.

30 years from now we'll read about a coordinated effort to destroy BLM, by this government.

So you just said, "? reading anything past the thread title" huh?
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Give it a couple more mins It's Sunday