On this day back in 1955 Emmett Till was kidnapped and murdered...

Options

Comments

• ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man this was gruesome and dispicable. man his moms was the true mvp for having an open casket. but somehow the leopards(white people) have changed their spots. this the ? that makes me hate black people who stick up for white people saying ? like aint own no slaves or they didnt have nothing to do with it. smmfh
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My OGs told me about him when I was about 12, and I've been mad ever since. He could've grown up and been anything in life and they took him away for nothing. I hope everyone involved suffered mentally until the day they died. His death showed me how weak white boys can be, why would you ? a kid because he supposedly flirted with your ? that wasn't even cute to begin with?
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If im not mistaken that lady is still alive and lives in Florida but wont speak on that event
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/cp/obituaries/archives/emmett-till
    Emmett Till, Whose Martyrdom Launched the Civil Rights Movement

Emmett Louis Till was born on July 25, 1941, on Chicago’s South Side and was nicknamed Bobo because of his fun-loving, cheerful disposition while growing up in the segregated middle-class neighborhood. When he was 14 he went to Mississippi to spend the summer with his cousins, and his mother gave him his father’s signet ring as a gift.

On Aug. 24, 1955, after an exhausting day of picking cotton in the scorching Delta sun, Till and his cousins went to a local store run by a poor white couple in their 20s, Roy and Carolyn Bryant. Ms. Bryant was working alone in the store when Till went in to buy bubblegum. It is not clear what happened inside, but soon afterward Ms. Bryant stormed out, presumably to get a pistol from her car parked outside. Till, unaware of the danger, whistled, and his cousins, now panicked, quickly drove him away.

Ms. Bryant later claimed that Till had flirted with her on a dare. The details would later change depending on when she told the story.

Four days later, around 2:30 a.m., Ms. Bryant’s husband, Roy, and his half brother J. W. Milam pounded on the door of the Wright family home where Till was staying with a pistol. Bryant announced that they were “looking for the boy that did the talking.” Forcing their way in, according to a PBS documentary about Till, they roused Till from sleep, marched him to their car and sped away.

Till’s disfigured body was found three days later, “the most celebrated race-sex case since Scottsboro was born,” the journalist William Bradford Huie wrote in Look magazine. His body was so mutilated that it could be identified only by the silver signet ring, still on his finger.

“Someone is going to pay for this,” Till’s mother wailed, according to an American National Biography web page about her. She demanded that her son’s body be returned to Chicago for an open-coffin funeral. “I wanted the world to see,” she said.

Till’s body, unembalmed, was displayed publicly for four days. People left in tears. Some fainted.

The murder became a rallying point for the nascent civil rights movement. The Rev. Jesse Jackson called it the movement’s “Big Bang.”

“More than 100,000 people saw his body lying in that casket,” he told The New York Times in 2003.

The Bryant brothers were found not guilty. After the acquittal, they kissed their wives, lit cigars and posed for pictures. And later, protected from double jeopardy, they boasted about how they had murdered Till.

Till’s mother, Mamie Till Mobley, turned to the federal government to no avail. She tried to meet with President Dwight D. Eisenhower, but he refused. J. Edgar Hoover, the director of the F.B.I. at the time, declined to make the killing a federal case.

“There has been no allegation made,” he said, “that the victim Emmett Till has been subjected to the deprivation of any right or privilege which is secured and protected by the Constitution and the laws of the United States.”

The Till case became emblematic of a history of violence toward African-Americans and of the country’s legacy of white supremacy. It provoked international outrage and pressure on political leaders in the United States. Young black Americans grasped the precariousness of their own lives, and figures like the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Medgar Evers and many others were galvanized to press the fight on the front lines. Ms. Till Mobley became a teacher and civil rights activist herself
    , as did many whites.

As Mr. Jackson said, “Emmett’s murder broke the emotional chains of Jim Crow.”
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If im not mistaken that lady is still alive and lives in Florida but wont speak on that event

If that's so, then vengeance needs to be exacted. Racist white supremacists need to be purged from the planet.
  • bossdon201
    bossdon201 Members Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I get hit with the same anger every time I read this. Smfh at any black person that can give a single ? about this country.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also on this day in 1963 MLK gave the "I Have A Dream" speech
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn shame grown people had such hate in their heart they could do all of that to a kid smfh.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Bryant brothers were found not guilty. After the acquittal, they kissed their wives, lit cigars and posed for pictures. And later, protected from double jeopardy, they boasted about how they had murdered Till.

Till’s mother, Mamie Till Mobley, turned to the federal government to no avail. She tried to meet with President Dwight D. Eisenhower, but he refused. J. Edgar Hoover, the director of the F.B.I. at the time, declined to make the killing a federal case.

“There has been no allegation made,” he said, “that the victim Emmett Till has been subjected to the deprivation of any right or privilege which is secured and protected by the Constitution and the laws of the United States.”

Americas racist regime
  • Dazzling
    Dazzling Members Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    I had a subsittue teacher that was friends with the family and told us when the funeral happened it was soooooooo many people there . Such a sad event and it's sad things really didn't change
  • Cleveland7venty6
    Cleveland7venty6 Members Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    His death single handedly kicked off the civil rights movement.
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember some news crew going to the white ? that he whistled at house, that hoe wouldn't open up door. Isn't their no statue of limitations on murder? Why don't they arrest this ? for conspiracy ( yea ? I know they won't because she's white but I'm just saying)
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "I got letters from all over the country congratulating me on my ‘fine Americanism’"

Killing a ? is 'fine Americanism'.

And today you still see these anti-black racists that drape themselves in the flag try to hijack what being an American is.
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is why I never show any special attention to white broads.
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ghostdog56 wrote: »
    I remember some news crew going to the white ? that he whistled at house, that hoe wouldn't open up door. Isn't their no statue of limitations on murder? Why don't they arrest this ? for conspiracy ( yea ? I know they won't because she's white but I'm just saying)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WQC5WJMYaug
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »

Americas racist regime

There's never been any accountibility in the corrupt "justice" system
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/cp/obituaries/archives/emmett-till

Till’s disfigured body was found three days later, “the most celebrated race-sex case since Scottsboro was born,” the journalist William Bradford Huie wrote in Look magazine. His body was so mutilated that it could be identified only by the silver signet ring, still on his finger.

Yeah, I heard about this when I was like in Middle School. I couldn't believe the photos I saw and still remembered thinking what they showed us had to be fake cause of the torture they put him through. Very messed up. RIP Till, never forgotten....
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

She got that boy killed. That scary, old white ? . ? her and her punk-ass son.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When I was third grade my teacher passed around a picture of Emmitt Till's mutilated corpse. There were so many tears being shed by classmates.
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The arrogance of her son talking to Ed Bradley ? me off

• Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rip till

? them coward ass crackas.

Never can face a real black man one on one so they have to gang up on you to feel confident