Queen Sugar (OWN TV series)

Options
marc123
marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Queen Sugar is an American drama television series, created, directed and executive produced by Ava DuVernay alongside Oprah Winfrey. The series is based on the novel of the same name by Natalie Baszile. The series set to air on Oprah Winfrey Network and will premiere on September 6, 2016. On August 1, 2016, the series was renewed for a second season ahead of television premiere.

The series follows the life of two sisters, Nova Bordelon (played by Rutina Wesley), the formidable journalist and activist from New Orleans, and Charley Bordelon (Dawn-Lyen Gardner), a modern woman, who, with her teenage son Micah, leaves her upscale home in Los Angeles and moves to the heart of Louisiana to claim an inheritance from her recently departed father – an 800-acre sugarcane farm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4mE1fTzHxU

Jus found this. Bout to download the 1st 2 episodes. Looks hella promising.

An all black cast bout jus everyday black ppl. No Tyler Perry, No Love And Hip Hop/Reality TV and No pandering to black women tellin them "how to find a man". Jus what appears to be high quality storytelling. Im behind this 100%, gotta support!

Comments

• King of GA
    King of GA Members Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Watched and will keep watching. Some of the acting could be better, however I think the family dynamic will be interesting to see unfold.

Dawn-Lyen Gardner, the woman playing Charley is fine...

Bianca Lawson still fine too...
  • prime_time_willy
    prime_time_willy Members Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    marc123 wrote: »
    Queen Sugar is an American drama television series, created, directed and executive produced by Ava DuVernay alongside Oprah Winfrey. The series is based on the novel of the same name by Natalie Baszile. The series set to air on Oprah Winfrey Network and will premiere on September 6, 2016. On August 1, 2016, the series was renewed for a second season ahead of television premiere.

The series follows the life of two sisters, Nova Bordelon (played by Rutina Wesley), the formidable journalist and activist from New Orleans, and Charley Bordelon (Dawn-Lyen Gardner), a modern woman, who, with her teenage son Micah, leaves her upscale home in Los Angeles and moves to the heart of Louisiana to claim an inheritance from her recently departed father – an 800-acre sugarcane farm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4mE1fTzHxU

Jus found this. Bout to download the 1st 2 episodes. Looks hella promising.

An all black cast bout jus everyday black ppl. No Tyler Perry, No Love And Hip Hop/Reality TV and No pandering to black women tellin them "how to find a man". Jus what appears to be high quality storytelling. Im behind this 100%, gotta support!

Looks pretty good, I'm going to check it out.
  • prime_time_willy
    prime_time_willy Members Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    King of GA wrote: »
    Watched and will keep watching. Some of the acting could be better, however I think the family dynamic will be interesting to see unfold.

Dawn-Lyen Gardner, the woman playing Charley is fine...

Bianca Lawson still fine too...

I felt that initially, it was some cringing moments but got to give them time to grow into the roles.
  • marc123
    Options
    We got to support shows like Underground and this...

Um. If its good quality TV ? with it. Of course i have a natural urge to wanna support quality tv with a all or mostly all black cast. But i jus cant ? wit no slave ? .

Carmichael Show, this, Black Jesus, The Get Down and Atlanta are shows i can get behind.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Is this show good? I saw it trending on Twitter yesterday.
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This was filmed at my job (LSR). Seeing the fake workers in my office everyday was pretty funny. Gonna check this out
  • marc123
    Options
    Jus watched the 1st episode.

It was cool. There is ALOT goin on wit these characters. Not feelin the basketball wives ? tho. Lookin forward to seein how the rest of the season plays out.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anybody been watching? Just kicked back with mom's and took in the first 3 episodes. Nice lil drama. All black cast never hurts either.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    I've been watching it, it's a solid show.
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yooo the last 2 episodes was intense. Some of the best quality TV I've seen in a long time.

It took me a few episodes to get into this show, but the acting/directing is dope.
  • King of GA
    Options
    Haven't missed an ep yet...

• King of GA
    Options
    By the way, that damn Charlie had me thinking about breaking up with Iris before Flash came back and I got my mind right...