Anime heads explain to me why Hunter X Hunter is good? (Spoilers for those who haven't finished)

Options
jono
jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in Lights, Camera, Action!
This is one of the most disappointing animes I ever watched. They build up to these big fights that never happen. They have these great backstories but nothing comes to fruition.

There's virtually no resolution in the whole series other than Gon finding his daddy and even that wasn't well done.

Kurapika wants to ? the Phantom Troupe...because they murdered his people and stole their eyes but he settles for killing 2 and chaining up Chrollo blocking his ability to use nen. The others running around without a care in the world.

Hisoka, the ? who wants to ? and ? Killua and Gon...virtually undefeated the whole series. No climatic fight where this weirdo gets his comeuppance or nothing.

Illumi, the older brother who plants a mind control needle in Killua, unharmed the whole series!!

Mereum, the ant king who ripped himself out of his mother, ate a piece of her, killed his own people, and ate humans...died peacefully playing ? games with his FRIEND?

Is this ? real? WTF was I tricked, by popular opinion, into watching?

All the trillness of the villains is blown off, and there's no sense of urgency.

Pitou, the scary murderous ant turns ? and then ends up in probably the most one sided fight of the whole series.

148 episodes of what exactly?!

I just finished it and I'm ? . I wasted my time.

Comments

• BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didn't finish the whole series yet, that's a ? .
  • jono
    Options
    I didn't finish the whole series yet, that's a ? .

I was tempted to put spoilers in the title. My bad ?
  • BangEm_Bart
    Options
    It's cool, show got repetitive and I stopped watching it.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know the series isn't over yet right? Those storylines you mentioned are still being resolved.
  • jono
    Options
    You know the series isn't over yet right? Those storylines you mentioned are still being resolved.

tumblr_m26nvnNG5o1qkk10ro1_500.jpg

• BangEm_Bart
    Options
    Aight I'll get back into watching this. I'm way back on season 5.
  • SmashinYourWaifu
    SmashinYourWaifu Members Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The ? type of questions are these? Some ? you expect a ? that thinks dragon ball z is the goat anime
  • jono
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The ? type of questions are these? Some ? you expect a ? that thinks dragon ball z is the goat anime

? answer. Explain why after 150 EPISODES (most anime are not 100) the contact between the heroes and villains have been either minimal or none.

You realize Killua and Gon never even saw Mereum?

Never mind that because the point was to avenge Kite but the underlings (Youpi and Pouf) didn't even get killed by any, they got poisoned and died. No comeuppance at all. In fact Youpi was going in the opposite direction.

This is the larger point: They dedicated so much time to the ant arc, the mood was set for it to be ass kicking, ? etc and it didn't deliver...at all. They took a month to prepare, they made it seem like some grand battle was going to occur but what did we get?

The different goofy ants like the cheetah, the wolf, the octopus etc and not nearly enough fighting.

They dedicated i don't know how many eps of the Greed Island arc to a game of ? dodgeball...dodgeball. Stop it.

Compare HXH to Full Metal Alchemist or Yu Yu Hakusho and it pales in comparion. Those shows aren't even that long.

Why am I investing so much time into that Octopi Ant? Not to mention all those other teritary characters lile Welfin. Those guys had pretty much a whole ep by themselves.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that's why I stopped ? with it. They never even had any real fights lol. I kept waiting for them to bust those insect people ? but they took too long.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I cant stand the soliloquies man the emotions all the damn time.

That aside though, and some of the powers are stupid, I think it's dope. The stories are nice and the fight between Netero and the Anthony King is one if the best I've seen.

In the manga, the show switches perspective from Gon to a buncha different characters/stories
  • jono
    Options
    I cant stand the soliloquies man the emotions all the damn time.

That aside though, and some of the powers are stupid, I think it's dope. The stories are nice and the fight between Netero and the Anthony King is one if the best I've seen.

In the manga, the show switches perspective from Gon to a buncha different characters/stories

It was a little over emotional in some parts but I'm okay with that.

The battle system is convoluted in general. Its like something out of Final Fantasy.
  • SmashinYourWaifu
    Options
    Bruh you really dont have any complaints. No fighting scenes? ? this isnt a battle manga its adventure. The story isnt driven soley off fights. Why characters introduce are given screen time and actually fleshed out and developed, not thrown to the back burner? This is still an ongoing manga so they will most likely reappear later on. If you would prefer if they were removed and the anime didnt follow the source material. ? off. The king and royal guards being ? on by poison was beautiful. Really showed the wrath of mankind that we have our own way of fighting back and the ants were never too much of a threat to us. You probably wanted just another 1 vs 1s where the good guys are all outclassed but somehow defy the odds and beat the baddies tho.

Full metal is 7/10 at best. Hakusho is ok till the tournament where it exceed expectations. After that it becomes ? .
  • SmashinYourWaifu
    Options
    This ? said battle system.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    jono wrote: »

? answer. Explain why after 150 EPISODES (most anime are not 100) the contact between the heroes and villains have been either minimal or none.

HxH is a Shonen. Shonen are routinely well over 100 episodes. Naruto and Bleach were several times that before they ended.

That said, you are holding it to Shonen standards that it is bucking on purpose. Case in point:

That arc wasn't about Killua and Gon defeating Mereum. They weren't on his level. That's why HxH is good because it didn't come up with some ? to allow the heroes to beat a character beyond their level. It simply told two different connected stories, one for the primary protagonists and one for the antagonist.
    Never mind that because the point was to avenge Kite but the underlings (Youpi and Pouf) didn't even get killed by any, they got poisoned and died. No comeuppance at all. In fact Youpi was going in the opposite direction.

WTF? Did you miss when Gon avenged Kite and killed the one responsible for his death. Youpi and Pouf were never Gon's objective.
    This is the larger point: They dedicated so much time to the ant arc, the mood was set for it to be ass kicking, ? etc and it didn't deliver...at all. They took a month to prepare, they made it seem like some grand battle was going to occur but what did we get?

You clearly didn't pay attention. The mood was not set for ass kicking. You were led to believe pretty on that the Hunters were overmatched. That's why they enacted such a complex plan because they knew they couldn't beat the ants straight up. The arc was about survival not ass kicking. But even with that, did you not see the President vs Mereum fight? That was a good fight.
    The different goofy ants like the cheetah, the wolf, the octopus etc and not nearly enough fighting.

They dedicated i don't know how many eps of the Greed Island arc to a game of ? dodgeball...dodgeball. Stop it.

Compare HXH to Full Metal Alchemist or Yu Yu Hakusho and it pales in comparion. Those shows aren't even that long.

Why am I investing so much time into that Octopi Ant? Not to mention all those other teritary characters lile Welfin. Those guys had pretty much a whole ep by themselves.

I think the problem with you is that you don't really get HxH. It's not about mindless fighting. It has action, but it's supposed to be way more cerebral than that. The writer spends whole issues of the manga describing different concepts and plot points. You want us to compare it to Full Metal Alchemist and Yu Yu Hakusho, but it's nothing like those two anime so making that comparison is a mistake. It's like hating Cowboy Bebop because like DBZ and the fighting in Cowboy Bebop is nothing like what it is in DBZ.
  • jono
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Bruh you really dont have any complaints. No fighting scenes? ? this isnt a battle manga its adventure. The story isnt driven soley off fights. Why characters introduce are given screen time and actually fleshed out and developed, not thrown to the back burner? This is still an ongoing manga so they will most likely reappear later on. If you would prefer if they were removed and the anime didnt follow the source material. ? off. The king and royal guards being ? on by poison was beautiful. Really showed the wrath of mankind that we have our own way of fighting back and the ants were never too much of a threat to us. You probably wanted just another 1 vs 1s where the good guys are all outclassed but somehow defy the odds and beat the baddies tho.

Full metal is 7/10 at best. Hakusho is ok till the tournament where it exceed expectations. After that it becomes ? .
    I don't give a ? about a 150 episode sampler. You had alot of time to put into ? angles that again went nowhere!!

Something should have be resolved within that time.

A poison bomb deus ex machina, isn't "beautiful" its cheap. I didn't expect Samurai style 1 on 1 fights, i expected teamwork to actually beat the enemy at the least.

They got lucky Youpi and Pouf were poisoned.

Knuckle had a put that ? APR on Youpi, ran around for 5 eps waiting for it to build then just gave it up to save someone else thus putting everyone in danger.

And all anime is about the adventure, that's a cop out.
  • jono
    edited September 2016
    Options

HxH is a Shonen. Shonen are routinely well over 100 episodes. Naruto and Bleach were several times that before they ended.

That said, you are holding it to Shonen standards that it is bucking on purpose. Case in point:

That arc wasn't about Killua and Gon defeating Mereum. They weren't on his level. That's why HxH is good because it didn't come up with some ? to allow the heroes to beat a character beyond their level. It simply told two different connected stories, one for the primary protagonists and one for the antagonist.
    But thats exactly what he did. Mereum and 2 of the other guards were poisoned to death. A poison that came out of nowhere by the way.

Funny how Gon wasn't on Pitou level either and yet...nevermind.
    WTF? Did you miss when Gon avenged Kite and killed the one responsible for his death. Youpi and Pouf were never Gon's objective.
    No. My statement is that fighting Mereum wasn't their objective and so I conceded that point. That doesn't absolved any of the other 5 gotdamn characters from not defeating anyone despite all this delicate planning.

You clearly didn't pay attention. The mood was not set for ass kicking. You were led to believe pretty on that the Hunters were overmatched. That's why they enacted such a complex plan because they knew they couldn't beat the ants straight up. The arc was about survival not ass kicking. But even with that, did you not see the President vs Mereum fight? That was a good fight.

What?! The Phantom Troupe didn't have a problem just beating the ants up! The ants came into their yard and they wrecked em..period.

When it came to everyone else turn I got people running around reminiscing, crying and making friends.

And Netero vs Mereum was some ? . Mereum tanked all his attacks and dude had no interest in fighting that old fool at all. That was no real fight.
    I think the problem with you is that you don't really get HxH. It's not about mindless fighting. It has action, but it's supposed to be way more cerebral than that. The writer spends whole issues of the manga describing different concepts and plot points. You want us to compare it to Full Metal Alchemist and Yu Yu Hakusho, but it's nothing like those two anime so making that comparison is a mistake. It's like hating Cowboy Bebop because like DBZ and the fighting in Cowboy Bebop is nothing like what it is in DBZ.

No. Its typical ? like giving villains redeemable qualities, making them cute and making heroes look like goofs.

You create a sense of urgency and you stick with it.

The ant arc specifically violates this.

You got ants out here acting up. They eating ? , gunning ? down, chopping arms left and right.

Hunters Assc like "Oh ? ! This is such a big deal thr Chairman AND Zoldyck have to get involved to stop it!"

For the next several eps people planning, and planning and planning. Only two people stuck to their plan Netero and Gon, everyone else running around making friends.
  • SmashinYourWaifu
    Options
    Lol they literally wasted time on showing knuckles feeding those stray animals to show his personality. Its his flaw. If i recall correctly the plan centered around keeping the royal guards away from the king. Never defeating them due to being no where capable of such feat. But for some reason you expected them to win through power of friendship and teamwork? If you find the bomb to be deux ex machina thats on you. If humanity wants a problem taken care they make sure to have back up plans.

Lol @ sampler. This is is like cutting off one piece archipelago arc then crying nothing was resolved.
  • SmashinYourWaifu
    Options

But thats exactly what he did. Mereum and 2 of the other guards were poisoned to death. A poison that came out of nowhere by the way.

No. My statement is that fighting Mereum wasn't their objective and so I conceded that point. That doesn't absolved any of the other 5 gotdamn characters from not defeating anyone despite all this delicate planning.

What?! The Phantom Troupe didn't have a problem just beating the ants up! The ants came into their yard and they wrecked em..period.

When it came to everyone else turn I got people running around reminiscing, crying and making friends.

And Netero vs Mereum was some ? . Mereum tanked all his attacks and dude had no interest in fighting that old fool at all. That was no real fight.

No. Its typical ? like giving villains redeemable qualities, making them cute and making heroes look like goofs.

The troupe went against weak as ? ? . Didnt kite gon killua do the same? Meerum was not a villian. An antagonist yes a villain no. If that went over your head and you just threw him among the likea of buu, cell, and frieza you missed the point of his character. More crying about the fights? Bruh you seem more generally upset the show didnt follow basic tropes most shows do.
  • jono
    Options
    Lol they literally wasted time on showing knuckles feeding those stray animals to show his personality. Its his flaw. If i recall correctly the plan centered around keeping the royal guards away from the king. Never defeating them due to being no where capable of such feat. But for some reason you expected them to win through power of friendship and teamwork? If you find the bomb to be deux ex machina thats on you. If humanity wants a problem taken care they make sure to have back up plans.

Lol @ sampler. This is is like cutting off one piece archipelago arc then crying nothing was resolved.

I know this. That said, this is life or death struggle and you let dude just walk away...

Really? Just ? all his potential victims?

They failed to keep them away from the King too, because of their own choices. So all that time spent planning and they tapped out on the plan
  • SmashinYourWaifu
    Options
    ? said only two people stuck to the plan like that was unforeseeable when it was noted how unexperienced some of the team was.
  • jono
    Options

The troupe went against weak as ? ? . Didnt kite gon killua do the same? Meerum was not a villian. An antagonist yes a villain no. If that went over your head and you just threw him among the likea of buu, cell, and frieza you missed the point of his character. More crying about the fights? Bruh you seem more generally upset the show didnt follow basic tropes most shows do.

No I'm ? a ? conquered a human city and then spent the next 20 eps playing checkers and making friends. How you eating ? and you not a villain? Lol stop it bruh. That ? corny.
    Im ? there was no comeuppance for all the ? he pulled out side of some suicide bomb deus ex machina.

• SmashinYourWaifu
    Options
    Lol ? those ? dying. Its like if the ants landed in korea. You only act cause you dont want the ants to branch out to places you actually care about.
  • SmashinYourWaifu
    edited September 2016
    Options

No I'm ? a ? conquered a human city and then spent the next 20 eps playing checkers and making friends. How you eating ? and you not a villain? Lol stop it bruh. That ? corny.
    Im ? there was no comeuppance for all the ? he pulled out side of some suicide bomb deus ex machina.

He literally did nothing wrong. Humans are literally part of his diet. He played checkers with that ? because if he suppose to be king of planet how the ? is he getting outsmarted abd outplayed by a blind ? . ? outta here with this karma ?
  • SmashinYourWaifu
    Options

I know this. That said, this is life or death struggle and you let dude just walk away...

Really? Just ? all his potential victims?

They failed to keep them away from the King too, because of their own choices. So all that time spent planning and they tapped out on the plan

Yea plans built around inexperienced teammates usually fail through
  • jono
    Options

He literally did nothing wrong. Humans are literally part of his diet. He played checkers with that ? because if he suppose to be king of planet how the ? is he getting outsmarted abd outplayed by a blind ? . ? outta here with this karma ?

He literally did nothing wrong?

Mind controlling a city is okay?
    Murdering your own people is good?
    Eating a piece of your own mother is cool?

He's an all around nice guy.