"Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher" - Oprah

Options
LUClEN
LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
I'm at a cross roads right now and the people around me need to go. I don't know where I am going, but I know that these people can't come with me. OG's of the IC, how do you link with people who are going to be on the level you want to be on? My pops used to say if you hang out with people lower than you they will bring you down, and people higher than you will bring you up. Outside of parties and ? how do you make these connections?

Comments

• LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »
    I'm at a cross roads right now and the people around me need to go. I don't know where I am going, but I know that these people can't come with me. OG's of the IC, how do you link with people who are going to be on the level you want to be on? My pops used to say if you hang out with people lower than you they will bring you down, and people higher than you will bring you up. Outside of parties and ? how do you make these connections?

How do you define LOWER in somebody. Cause most of the time we tend to overrate or underrate people, thus losing in both case. But its human.
    Apreciating people is a very tough exercise.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? at 10:30am on a Monday fam?
  • LUClEN
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    ? at 10:30am on a Monday fam?

Work is weather dependent. Woke up still cut. Continued the cycle.

Yeah i'm not well.
  • LUClEN
    Options

How do you define LOWER in somebody. Cause most of the time we tend to overrate or underrate people, thus losing in both case. But its human.
    Apreciating people is a very tough exercise.

Me? By socioeconomic status
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You lay down with dogs, you wake up with fleas. I can spot a lowlife a mile away. Everybody is not made the same. Oprah is right.
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Keep focused and do you, you'll find that you attract like minded people. And at the same time be able to tell when someone isnt on it like you're on it.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Keep focused and do you, you'll find that you attract like minded people. And at the same time be able to tell when someone isnt on it like you're on it.

That doesn;t work fam. Solitude builds solitude. While it's great for productivity, I'm hoping to find people I can socialize with outside of my responsibilities, that aren't toxic
  • TheNuttinProffessor
    TheNuttinProffessor Members Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I used to think that I had to seek ppl out but it's true, as you work and elevate ppl gravitate towards that aura, just don't let ? that's not tryin to shine on they own take away your light, they're easy to weed out
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options

That doesn;t work fam. Solitude builds solitude. While it's great for productivity, I'm hoping to find people I can socialize with outside of my responsibilities, that aren't toxic

He means you gotta work on you first in order to tap into those energy channels that will attract others on your level today. People underestimate how much their aura gives away and projecting the wrong aura at times drives away the right people.

Self knowledge leads to awareness and awareness leads to freedom from known concepts Neo in The Matrix style. Once you project that knowledge of self and freedom from the known the right people start falling into place in your life. It has to be genuinely subconscious though. Straight from the heart. That's what directs you towards your truth. You can't force genuine observation. Takes meditation and lots of self reflection plus discipline.

Once you find your truth though life becomes much easier and you learn to just enjoy the moment and be. That shifts your energy from one that turns away people to one that will attract them. Everybody always gravitates towards the most woke person in the room. That opens doors to connections and building a network.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gotta understand who you are an where you want to go.
    being your true you an not who you think you are.

you may need to step outside your comfort zone to build with like minded people.
    also be willing to learn from anyone, don't allow your eyes dictate who you listen to.
    but the first step is allowing yourself to not be the smartest in the room.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Knowing that there is something to learn from anybody or anything at any moment is key to superior wisdom. We don't know it all and the school of life is life itself.

If we get gassed because we reached a level of enlightment above those we already know (people or habits) we reach a stop gap and prevent further enlightenment from trailing in. Ego leads to complacency and clouds innervision. Humility leads to serenity and peace of mind because acceptance of the fact that we're only human is step 1.

Thread carefully on your journey and good luck but indeed like homie said don't act like the smartest cat in the room because you never really are. Know when to shut up and just listen or when to stop acting and just observe and that will take you a long way. Spiritually and by proxy in terms of social interactions as well.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am having the same issue. It took me forever to realize it, but the people i was surrounded by daily for friends (all of whom had been my friends since I was 12 or younger) were just toxic as ? . They werent necessarily the whole reason Ive been having struggles, but they were a major influence. Im not necessarily sure what i want to do/where i want to go, but have been using this time of no social friends to try and figure that out. Need to get me a career of sorts.
  • sapo614
    sapo614 Members Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Show me your friends and I'll show you your future!
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    I am having the same issue. It took me forever to realize it, but the people i was surrounded by daily for friends (all of whom had been my friends since I was 12 or younger) were just toxic as ? . They werent necessarily the whole reason Ive been having struggles, but they were a major influence. Im not necessarily sure what i want to do/where i want to go, but have been using this time of no social friends to try and figure that out. Need to get me a career of sorts.

it's good you realized that certain ppl were toxic. it's amazing what can get into your mindframe without you knowing. an sometimes we are subconsciously seeking that toxic behavior.

I applaud you for taking time to yourself to figure out life an your next move.

the process can be very intimidating. an you will often feel alone and lost.

but so are most things in life. if nothing seems like an overwhelming challenge... you are too comfortable.

everyday should be a new challenge. to be better than you was yesterday. to beat your past you.

I drifted a bit..lol...my fault
  • SmashinYourWaifu
    SmashinYourWaifu Members Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just dont get friends that do drugs everyday, wanna fight everyday, have 15 baby mommas. I dont know about this surround yourself by people that will lift you higher. Sound like some leech ?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Just dont get friends that do drugs everyday, wanna fight everyday, have 15 baby mommas. I dont know about this surround yourself by people that will lift you higher. Sound like some leech ?

that's the way it sounds but that's not what it is.

how you going to learn anything by being around either those that don't want more than their current situation or those you can't learn anything from.

you should always want to grow an learn.
    being stationary is for envelopes and notepads.

if someone wants to learn something from you will you give them the time and patience or will you look at them as a leech?
  • SmashinYourWaifu
    SmashinYourWaifu Members Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options

how you going to learn anything by being around either those that don't want more than their current situation or those you can't learn anything from.

if someone wants to learn something from you will you give them the time and patience or will you look at them as a leech?

If a person doesnt fall in the poison traps i mentioned before it would be safe to assume they could at least maintain their standard of living. That should be enough to ask from a friend. What you seem to be looking for is a connect

• 2stepz_ahead
    Options

If a person doesnt fall in the poison traps i mentioned before it would be safe to assume they could at least maintain their standard of living. That should be enough to ask from a friend. What you seem to be looking for is a connect

i think it's a bit more complicated than the 3 you named.

a mentor is not a connect but more of a Tutor or guide.
    networking is not looking for a connect..well not really. it can be but you can also learn from those in that circle.
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Very true! I remember years ago EPMD said : If u hang with 9 broke friends u bound 2 be the 10th one. Kept a tight crew coming up. All had good jobs, new whips, ice, work and women. All still alive and prospering. Take heed young world, the world is yours if u do so. Ghetto Gospel!
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some great posts in here! OK regarding the quote in the OP I kind of agree and disagree, yes it is good to surround yourself with people that will lift you up, but it is also important to try and lift others up if possible, plus most people think that surrounding yourself with people who have success and money is the answer can also be wrong, remember some of the most down and out people can be the most kind and caring while the successful and rich can be the biggest ? .
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also try not to play the blame game, just because your friend wants to smoke weed and watch tv all the time is no excuse for why you are not doing what you want to do, take responsibility for your actions.
  • optimistic
    optimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If what your pops says is true, why would someone "above" you even bother?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Imo you have to build yourself up first. If you're still engaging in inferior behaviors, inferior people will always been drawn to you.
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Network and do favors for ppl.