Walmart Apologizes After Employees Refused ‘Racist’ Order for a ‘Blue Lives Matter’ Cake...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.mediaite.com/online/walmart-apologizes-after-refusing-racist-order-for-a-blue-lives-matter-cake/
A Walmart store in Georgia is walking things back after employees denied a request for a “Blue Lives Matter” cake for a police officer’s retirement party.

Taylor Wilkes‘s Facebook page has drawn significant attention recently, ever since he described what happened last week when the family of his friend went to place an order for the cake.

“She asked Walmart to make a ‘thin blue line’ cake to commemorate his extensive and honorable service as a dedicated police officer,” Wilkes said. “Walmart refused to honor her request due to it being ‘racist.’ Three separate people in management denied her request for this reason.”

The cop’s daughter, who has not been named publicly, told her story to Fox host Todd Starnes, who ripped the commotion in a column and said the cake decorators should be ordered to “either decorate the cake or be fired.” Local police chief Franklin Allen was also asked for his thoughts, and he said that Walmart’s decision demonstrated increasing feeling of hostility towards law enforcement across America.

As the story gained online traction, Walmart released an apologetic statement regarding the incident.

“Our goal is to always take care of customers. But, sometimes we misstep,” Walmart said. “We’ve reached out to the family to make this right and offer our apologies.”

Big salute to those employees who refused make that pig cake...

Comments

• Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So, "cops" are a race now? White folks stay moving the goal posts.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

U read it wrong or didnt read

The employees called it racist and refused to make it
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not surprising. Wal-Mart is normally the go-to stop for racist rednecks, liberals, and etc. Not only that I think it's been know that the Walton family is racist!
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

U read it wrong or didnt read

The employees called it racist and refused to make it

You're right I did misread.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »
    Not surprising. Wal-Mart is normally the go-to stop for racist rednecks, liberals, and etc. Not only that I think it's been know that the Walton family is racist!

Liberals shop at whole foods and trader joes lol
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cops are not a race
  • Jungz
    Jungz Members Posts: 991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rapmusic wrote: »
    Cops are not a race
    Where in the article did it say that cops were a race?

The sentiment behind the phrase 'blue lives matter,' which is what was asked to be put on the cake, has racist undetones because it's used as an opposition to 'Black lives matter.'
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Everything you said might be true, but Wal-Mart was on the right this time (I hate saying that because I hate Wal-Mart with a passion). Employees can't go refusing ? like that. What would happen if some white employees refused to make a Black Lives Matter cake? I'm not saying the employees were wrong. If they were doing that as a protest, it's cool, but you can't fault Wal-Mart for siding with its customers.
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Racist rednecks and liberals shop together now?
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Everything you said might be true, but Wal-Mart was on the right this time (I hate saying that because I hate Wal-Mart with a passion). Employees can't go refusing ? like that. What would happen if some white employees refused to make a Black Lives Matter cake? I'm not saying the employees were wrong. If they were doing that as a protest, it's cool, but you can't fault Wal-Mart for siding with its customers.

Would Wal-Mart be wrong to deny a KKK cake? Hooded men on horseback, cross burning and all?
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jungz wrote: »
    Cops are not a race

The sentiment behind the phrase 'blue lives matter,' which is what was asked to be put on the cake, has racist undetones because it's used as an opposition to 'Black lives matter.'
    Like I said cops are not a race. Walmart or any company should post whatever the ? I want on my cake. I don't care what it is. We all know that it would be a ? ? show if an employee refused to put black lives matter on a cake. You can be mad at either side all you want, but at your job, you're supposed to do your job PERIOD! Imagine companies or employees of companies refusing to do some simple ass ? for you just because they don't agree agree with you or your opinions. You'd be mad as hell. Walmart apologizing here was the right thing.
  • gdatruth2.0
    gdatruth2.0 Members Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jungz wrote: »
    Cops are not a race

Like I said cops are not a race. Walmart or any company should post whatever the ? I want on my cake. I don't care what it is. We all know that it would be a ? ? show if an employee refused to put black lives matter on a cake. You can be mad at either side all you want, but at your job, you're supposed to do your job PERIOD! Imagine companies or employees of companies refusing to do some simple ass ? for you just because they don't agree agree with you or your opinions. You'd be mad as hell. Walmart apologizing here was the right thing.

its funny cause the law in N.C. and the law proposed law in Indiana effectively give private businesses the right to refuse services based religious beliefs. In theory a christian baker could refuse to back a cake for a ? wedding.

I agree that Walmart didnt have the right refuse services because the employees didnt agree with the message of the cake.

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »

Would Wal-Mart be wrong to deny a KKK cake? Hooded men on horseback, cross burning and all?

Possibly, however I think most would agree that a store like Walmart has the right to deny overtly offensive things. As much as we might hate it, the "Blue Lives Matter" slogan is not the same as the KKK. If you try to make that comparison, you're as bad as the people that claim Black Lives Matter is the same as ISIS.
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @ The Lonious Monk. I feel ya point, made me look at it from that perspective. Gotta make em how they ask if they're paying as long as it isn't overtly obscene.
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    I woulda made it but ? ? in the batter

• MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

True