Nintendo NX Reveal: Tomorrow 10/20/16 @10 A.M. Eastern

Options

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Playing something like Dark Souls on the go is no different than playing Monster Hunter on the go.

Honestly as a portable gamer one of the greater appeals to me was that 3DS was the only platform where I could still play strategy games and JRPGs (2 of the most complex, serious and involving genres around) on a very consistent basis and guess what? they managed to be fantastic handheld experiences that took absolutely 0 appeal away from those genres' hooks.

Hell one of the best GTA games I ever played was on Nintendo DS.

It's far from impossible.

I didn't mean anything was impossible. I just believe certain genres are better on the go than others. strategy games and jRPGs are perfect for portable gaming. I play both on my phone. I wouldn't really like playing more action oriented games that way though. That said, I'm simply not much of a portable gamer, so my opinion doesn't matter. It's all moot though since the Switch can serve both communities.
    Broddie wrote: »
    Makes sense. I don't see how people do serious gaming while out and about. I meant the simple games you get on Android and such make sense. I couldn't imagine trying to play something like Dark Souls on the go. Still, you have the option to play at home exclusively if you like, so it's all good.

From a business stance, I don't really understand the move. Doesn't Nintendo make decent money off both console and handheld sales. Wouldn't consolidating the two into one device hurt them?

On the contrary. They no longer have to worry about more software output on one over the other. Which has been a struggle for them the last few gens and why the home consoles went through long software droughts.

So not only would it save both them and 3rd parties milions upon millions of marketing and development dollars but it also offers a greater and far more consistent software output for ALL their consumers since they are now working with one unified universal platform. As opposed to 2 with 2 completely different architectures and general userbases.

That's why they took this approach in the first place.

[/quote]

You may be right. We'll see.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In a nutshell they're returning to the NES model of having only one hardware platform to worry about. I think that's a key reason so many 3rd party devs have been gushing about it.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    I wonder how Pokémon will be affected
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wonder how Pokémon will be affected

It will be coming to this platform now. As opposed to a secondary one. That dream pokemon gamers have had of Nintendo making a mainline game they could play on their TV will finally come true.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Havin' the handheld type games on it should be dope man plus the indie games potential is fire

I wonder what Autodesk are bringin' to the table...
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    175l1894m2wd.png

Was gonna ask about 3rd party support but Cellar answered that question.

Nintendo has always been innovative wit came to their hardware. I wanna see what 3rd partygames go with it b4 I decided to get it.
  • Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's the battery life on the Wii U tablet?

The Switch should be comparable give or take a few hours.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    The third party support is good and all, but I don't think that's what's going to sell this, at least not to people who already own a PS4 or XB1. I got a PS4. If I was a big enough gamer to buy another console, it would be a Nintendo system because of their first party support. At the end of the day, I think they have to play up the first party support and the uniqueness of the system. The third party support is icing on the cake.
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also, Japan. Nintendo is a Japanese company and Japan is still very big in terms of mobile gaming. Launching a "home only console" in Japan wouldnt be very successful. I don't even think the PS4, for all of its success elsewhere, has managed to surpass even the Wii U in Japanese sales, and is no where near 3DS.

Nintendo understands this better than anyone and will not be neglecting their home audience.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope they've sorted out the community side of it. Not sure if I'd be happy to pay for a third gaming subscription though.

Plus all my digital games better be carried over. I don't wanna be paying for Super Mario World again.
  • Karl.
    Options
    If they make it I'd also buy an external disc drive to plug in to the dock so I can play all my Wii and Wii U games. That's wishful thinking though.
  • Karl.
    Options
    Just peeped they moved the right hand analog back below the main buttons. Good move.
  • Karl.
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Some folks are talking about an imminent release.

Edit: was March 2017 confirmed in the trailer?
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    Some folks are talking about an imminent release.

Edit: was March 2017 confirmed in the trailer?

Yea. They have been saying march for months now.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm hyped AF for this ? . Rumours said it was a powerful handheld and I thought it was a cool idea but seein' it and how smooth it looks... Yeah man can't wait for all them first party ? .

I hope the new Mario is an open world ting like 64 but I'd like it to have a multi player element. My sister and I loved 3d World.

Also, not sure I'm ready to move from the Gamecube pad for Smash so I hope there's either an adapter or a wireless Pro GC controller
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I knew all the leaks were true. This is just a repackaged and branded WiiU lol. Miyamoto won't let that second screen idea go. Also don't count on that third party support. Let's not forget the same type of list was released for the WiiU and we know what happened. Don't care about this device, but the sales will be interesting to watch. Also know way large third party games can fit on a cartridge so any game would be something shovelware or more ZombiU type of games. That Skyrim video was just a video of the game from another platform just like 2K and neither are confirmed. Should have called it WiiU2.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    175l1894m2wd.png

Was gonna ask about 3rd party support but Cellar answered that question.

Nintendo has always been innovative wit came to their hardware. I wanna see what 3rd partygames go with it b4 I decided to get it.

What has been innovative about their hardware? They always have outdated tech and gimmicks after the SNES. I just want Zelda and Metroid on a powerful system with no gimmicks, but I will never get that.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will this thing have the Windwaker on it?.....thats only reason I haven't copped a Wii U yet....hopefully I'm able to play Windwaker and Super Mario Maker....its still alot of people playing that ? on twitch
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    Also, Japan. Nintendo is a Japanese company and Japan is still very big in terms of mobile gaming. Launching a "home only console" in Japan wouldnt be very successful. I don't even think the PS4, for all of its success elsewhere, has managed to surpass even the Wii U in Japanese sales, and is no where near 3DS.

Nintendo understands this better than anyone and will not be neglecting their home audience.

This is a very good point. The Japanese don't seem to give two ? about console gaming, so Nintendo could have videogames on lock in Japan with this.
  • brown321
    Options
    I knew all the leaks were true. This is just a repackaged and branded WiiU lol. Miyamoto won't let that second screen idea go. Also don't count on that third party support. Let's not forget the same type of list was released for the WiiU and we know what happened. Don't care about this device, but the sales will be interesting to watch. Also know way large third party games can fit on a cartridge so any game would be something shovelware or more ZombiU type of games. That Skyrim video was just a video of the game from another platform just like 2K and neither are confirmed. Should have called it WiiU2.

Uneducated post. Carts are not like the SNES, they can hold big games now. There is a no way this will be another Wii U. Just the fact that nintendo will be able to focus on one system ensures it will be better & if only half the third parties games on that list are decent to good that would be extra.

I noticed anyone who uses gimmick & Nintendo in the same sentence, Usually don't know ? about them.
  • brown321
    Options
    Will this thing have the Windwaker on it?.....thats only reason I haven't copped a Wii U yet....hopefully I'm able to play Windwaker and Super Mario Maker....its still alot of people playing that ? on twitch

Mario Maker is guaranteed. Wind Waker only if they allow Wii U BC/Downloads or GameCube Virtual Console
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    brown321 wrote: »

Mario Maker is guaranteed. Wind Waker only if they allow Wii U BC/Downloads or GameCube Virtual Console

Good enough....

I just peeped it....the switch looks dope as ?
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's the info on the graphics
  • Karl.
    edited October 2016
    Options

Did you even watch the trailer? There was no mention of a second screen. When playing at home the portable sit in the dock where you can't see the screen.

And Cartridge flash drives>>>Optical media(blu ray)