Former Trump Rental Agent Describes Racist Policy

Options
JJ_Evans
JJ_Evans Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRBv51GrJOU

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/not-wanted-black-applicants-rejected-trump-housing-speak-out-n671966

'Not Wanted': Black Applicants Rejected for Trump Housing Speak Out

In 1973, New York City school teacher Annette Gandy Fortt was looking for a decent place to live. A listing for an apartment in a building owned by Donald Trump's father, Fred, caught her eye — but she says the super told her there were no units available.

"I was black," Fortt said recently. "I was not wanted."

It wasn't just a gut feeling. After Fortt was turned away from the Queens apartment building twice, the New York City Human Rights Commission sent a white person to the property to apply for an apartment — and the tester was offered the apartment, according to court papers.

The commission took on Fortt's case, and she says a young Donald Trump appeared with a lawyer at a hearing on behalf of the family real estate company, Trump Management.

Her case also became part of a federal racial discrimination lawsuit filed by the Justice Department against Donald and Fred Trump that was resolved with a consent decree two years later in which they agreed to terms aimed at preventing discrimination.

That lawsuit is the basis of a new video from Hillary Clinton's campaign, released Tuesday. The video, which features a tearful interview with a retired nurse who says she was denied an apartment, notes that while the racial discrimination allegations began when Fred Trump was running the company, they persisted after his son became president of the firm.

Trump denies the company discriminated against blacks.

"There is absolutely no merit to the allegations," his spokeswoman, Hope Hicks, said in an email to NBC News. "This suit was brought as part of a nationwide inquiry against a number of companies, and the matter was ultimately settled without any finding of liability and without any admission of wrongdoing whatsoever."

Clinton has brought up the discrimination case before, saying during a debate last month that Trump started his real-estate career by getting sued for refusing housing to blacks. In response, Trump portrayed the litigation as no big deal and said dispensing with the suit without admitting wrongdoing "was very easy to do."

Court documents, however, show that putting the allegations behind him was tougher than the candidate suggests.

Three years after the consent decree, the Justice Department went back to court to say the Trumps were not complying with the settlement. The claim was not resolved before the decree expired.

Then, in 1982, Trump Management and eight other New York City landlords were hit with a class-action discrimination lawsuit by a housing advocacy group. Two years later, they settled by agreeing to rent one of every four vacant apartments in some neighborhoods to blacks, according to a New York Times account from the time.

The breadth of the allegations doesn't surprise Maxine Brown, who applied for an apartment in a Queens building owned by Fred Trump in 1963.

"I was turned away because of my color," said Brown, 86, whose account was first reported by the New York Times in August.

Brown's application was taken by rental agent Stanley Leibowitz, who said there's no doubt Brown didn't get the apartment because she's black — and no doubt that Donald Trump, then just 17, knew that.

"Mr. Trump and his son Donald came into the office. I asked what I should do with this application because she's calling constantly and his response to me was, 'You know I don't rent to the N-word. Put it in a drawer and forget about it,'" Leibowitz, 89, told NBC News.

"Donald Trump was right alongside his father when I was instructed to do that."

Brown also filed a complaint with the Human Rights Commission and was offered an apartment after the hearing; she still lives there. Fortt also took an apartment in a Trump building as a settlement.

"I wasn't interested in suing Trump. I wasn't interested in getting money. What I wanted was a place to live," she said.

Fortt, now 72, has kept the papers from her case for more than 40 years but said she would not have spoken up about her experience if Donald Trump hadn't brushed off the allegations that resurfaced during his presidential run.

"I think it's important that history not be erased," she said.

Comments

• texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    she still lives in a place a racist didnt want her to live? The epitome of Black America......
  • JJ_Evans
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    Hillary had dem emails thoughhhhh

Don't forget super predators :#
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She says she wasn't interested in suing Trump or money. Why even come out with it then? He's been denying it for more than 40 years. It didn't anger her then, why now? She should have sued for money from the jump. She could have used the money to buy her own place instead of paying Trump rent for forty years.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pops was just tellin me a story bout a lady he knew saying these same exact things bout his housing.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »
    She says she wasn't interested in suing Trump or money. Why even come out with it then? He's been denying it for more than 40 years. It didn't anger her then, why now? She should have sued for money from the jump. She could have used the money to buy her own place instead of paying Trump rent for forty years.

? was the norm in the early 70s.
    She was born and raised in Jim crow era...she just got voting rights a few years earlier....a cac not wanting her to live somewhere is the least of her life's troubles
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »

Yeah, I'm sure the justice system would have been willing to hear her case 40 years ago and she wouldn't have been harassed or anything. FOH. She's talking now because this dude is about to become the president. You're probably one of those dude who wouldn't have stood for slavery back in the day either eh?
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    First case was in 1963; the last in the early to mid 80s. And you know that what was happening in the 60s was happening before that. They were discriminating for decades. The son simply carried on the family business as usual.
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You ? forgave Hillary for helping put a gang of ? in jail so you same ? ? might as well forgive him for this
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So donald trump had a racist father
  • MazterChef
    MazterChef Members Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hillary Clinton called Black Servant the N - Word
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruOa1Fb6Bn4
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    More appalled by this accusation of Trump than I am surprised or concerned.

We have had racists in the White House before.

What we haven't had is this level of ineptitude, arrogance, and open endorsement of bigotry
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    MazterChef wrote: »

Wow. If true - This is absolutely disgusting.

Even if it isn't, this likely proves that she is guilty of racist remarks or a racist attitude during her earlier tenure in the White House.

Didn't have much respect for her to begin with, but she lost it with this.

• ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But but but she keeps hot sauce in her bag
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    More appalled by this accusation of Trump than I am surprised or concerned.

We have had racists in the White House before.

What we haven't had is this level of ineptitude, arrogance, and open endorsement of bigotry

How many elections have black people been voting in?
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I posted some stuff about this when Trump was still vying for the Republican nomination months ago.

Donald's dad was a bigot, Donald is a bigot, and Donald's children are probably bigots too; I'm surprised more candidates didn't attack his shady business practices with Blacks and other non-Whites.

Not in the least bit surprised at White real estate businessmen being bigots in the 60s, 70s, and 80s either. It's no coincidence poor Blacks and Whites don't live in the same areas Whites with money or even working class Whites do.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Saw this ad on facebook the other day. This lady made me cry. Trump aint ? .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHfXShtSX_U
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Even if it isn't, this likely proves that she is guilty of racist remarks or a racist attitude during her earlier tenure in the White House.

notice he said if ur the clintons, the kennedys or whoever..

they're all this way... all of em white and racist... they grew up in those times...

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »

they're all this way... all of em white and racist... they grew up in those times...

n the only way to change this is encourage our kids to get interested in politics and make changes.. aspire to be a president and not a celeb
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? ain't about them growing up in those times.

Its about that is what they are taught and even as they become so called educated adults they believe it for themselves all the racist ? they were taught as kids.

In these current times there are still plenty of racists from every generation from young to old.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

? ain't about them growing up in those times.

Its about that is what they are taught and even as they become so called educated adults they believe it for themselves all the racist ? they were taught as kids.

In these current times there are still plenty of racists from every generation from young to old.

Its amazing how many college educated and otherwise sensible individuals that still buy into racist stereotypes and bigotry.

They'll defend it to the end too; you want to know how someone feels about you ask them how would they feel about your child dating theirs if they are of appropriate age also inquire about their political beliefs that generally will tell you all you need to know.
  • JJ_Evans
    edited October 2016
    Options

This is a lie.

For years Stormfront, Alex Jones/infowars, and far right wing media outlets have pushed this conspiracy theory. Considering this BS story is only on those sites, it let's me know where you frequent.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjj_ZnQPGxY

Racist Rudy claims Adolf Trump ain't racist...
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=binvSjI6CCQ

Another Adolf surrogate claiming he's not racist...