• MD_PROPER
    MD_PROPER Members Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Ether...nothing new but still ether
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wonder how many millionaires he met that didn't go to college or did go to college and paid for it with their dashing good looks
  • Cinco
    Cinco Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn well let me go re evaluate my plan
  • SmashinYourWaifu
    SmashinYourWaifu Members Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i lol when ? get in debt to own a civic
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I need to make thread about credit.

problem is ....all y'all that say credit is bad is using it wrong.

I just learned something about credit and cash an it was a very costly an stupid mistake.

everything is about perspective
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Crude_ wrote: »
    One other thing to consider who do yall think bought his expensive luxury cars and sports memorabilia I see in the background, but he's telling you to live like a hermit and save money though.

It's a hustle.

Hes says some good stuff but yall should read between the lines as well.

how you know that stuff wasnt given to him?

just food for thought
  • AP21
    Options
    Dave Ramsey makes excellent points as always but he's a little too extreme for my liking.

He doesn't believe in any debt or buying anything you can't pay for in cash.

That is not reality he'll have you driving a 20 year jalopy paid for in cash, a small house the size of a couple studio apartments, wearing goodwill clothes, using a flip phone and eating chicken noodle soup every night.

That in my opinion is not living I live more by the motto "everything in moderation."

just want you to know, that we have no issues, just presenting different povs

but this ? here was spot on. I like his ideas, but he does come off one very extreme end of the spectrum

he comes off very black and white when talking about things like paying for school. I mean, imagine if we lived in a country that actually paid your tuition for going to college b/c they've sold you this dream that college is the route you need to go?

Imagine how many people would be off in better situations today.

and lol at people saying "student loans are an investment"..WHO is he talking to that talks like that?

everyone i know considered it a necessary evil.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol vintage Dave.. 100
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »
    One other thing to consider who do yall think bought his expensive luxury cars and sports memorabilia I see in the background, but he's telling you to live like a hermit and save money though.

It's a hustle.

just food for thought

Doubt all that ish was given to him, but I see what you are trying to say.
  • AP21
    Options

It's a hustle.

just food for thought

Doubt all that ish was given to him, but I see what you are trying to say.

im willing to bet ALL the memorabilia was given to him

not sure about the cars tho
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dude used to be one our clients at my last job. I've got a couple of his books. Didn't watch the video, but everyone who I know who knows him says he has some great financial advice.
  • AP21
    Options
    nex gin wrote: »
    Dude used to be one our clients at my last job. I've got a couple of his books. Didn't watch the video, but everyone who I know who knows him says he has some great financial advice.

he does, but he does come off sometimes like a know it all and very condescending to callers

you gotta think, a lot of people are calling b/c they do not know...so why do you have to talk to them like they do?
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with having payments on high ticket items. It makes sense in that you aren't depleting your cash. The issue is the ? interest and taxes. We would easily save 1,000's and pay off loans quicker, and easier if we weren't getting kicked in the ? by pencil pushers.

I see nothing wrong with buying new cars if the idea is to keep it until it's no longer usable. A car can be investment if, you keep for a 20 year min or pass it down. The issue is, we get into a perpetual state of wanting the newest ? so, we get into trading cars in and never fully owning. Buy another car after the first is paid off and everything will be all good.

I would love to pay have paid cash for my home but let's get real here. Dude is pandering.
  • AP21
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with having payments on high ticket items. It makes sense in that you aren't depleting your cash. The issue is the ? interest and taxes. We would easily save 1,000's and pay off loans quicker, and easier if we weren't getting kicked in the ? by pencil pushers.

I see nothing wrong with buying new cars if the idea is to keep it until it's no longer usable. A car can be investment if, you keep for a 20 year min or pass it down. The issue is, we get into a perpetual state of wanting the newest ? so, we get into trading cars in and never fully owning. Buy another car after the first is paid off and everything will be all good.

I would love to pay have paid cash for my home but let's get real here. Dude is pandering.

agreed, but I also agree that buying a car used when most of the value has gone down is better than buying it smack brand new

• Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

agreed, but I also agree that buying a car used when most of the value has gone down is better than buying it smack brand new

It depends on how used.

Many new cars are coming with 100,000 mile warranties. Used cars do not. You either are driving on the remainder of the new car warranty, or purchasing an extended warranty. In addition to that most used cars have higher interest rates. In the end Used or new MOST people are paying similar monthly notes. It's all about the value you are getting for that monthly note. Rarely do you find anyone driving a decent car with a note below $400.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Valid points taken to the extreme.

He has an unrealistic perspective on the construct of credit.

The largest and most profitable companies IN THE WORLD, with revenue in the $100s of Billions; use loans and take out CREDIT to better position themselves and expand their growth potential.

The problem that people have with credit is that they don't know when and how to use it.

• Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But my biggest complaint with Ramsey's ideology is his draconian perspective regarding delayed gratification.

There is no point living like a hermit for 95% life so you can spend the last 5% as a "millionaire"...

Which isn't guaranteed to happen, anyway.

The purpose of wealth is to better enable you and your family to enjoy life.

You don't sacrifice the end for the sake of the means.