• Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »
    @2stepz_ahead financial growth knowledge is always appreciated over her

But yea I had to cash out of BBRY and SNAP

Copped a few shares of Silver (SIVR) and thinking about copping more

silver has a nice comeback.

my wedding band is from david yurman....once insured its now worth $1k more than what i paid for it.

that was interesting.

Ima just go ahead and grab another 15 shares then
  • _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I've just been contributing to my portfolio, erytime I get paid...last few months, I've been able to get some good deals on General Mill (GIS) and Target (TGT), especially after the Amazon buying Whole Foods news...I haven't copped any more shares lately, but Disney (DIS) is looking undervalued atm too.

I've got another non-dividend company I'm looking at investing in, once I get more capital up. problem is, I'll save and save and save, then run across another good deal on companies I already own and...pull the trigger on them, lol. Good problem to have tho, my dividend income's increased every month this year, compared to last year. chea

if you're looking for dividend income, I suggest u google Dividend Champions, do some research, then decide which company u wanna hold for years, and get paid to hold. if you're into mostly speculating...well, you'll still have to do your research, just a lot more of it, due to the companies not having decades of dividend growth.
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This might be out of the scope of this thread but I signed up for lending club a few months back. Pretty dope concept, lend money to borrowers with hopes that they repay you. I know quite a bit about credit underwriting so I like to think that I picked out some winners, but time will tell.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    killap wrote: »
    This might be out of the scope of this thread but I signed up for lending club a few months back. Pretty dope concept, lend money to borrowers with hopes that they repay you. I know quite a bit about credit underwriting so I like to think that I picked out some winners, but time will tell.

Great @killap
  • _Jay_
    Options

I'm planning on moving into this area within the next year or two myself. I'm also toying with the idea of purchasing shares of Lending Club directly (LC), but even if I don't, I'm def gonna eventually sign up to lend money myself.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

sometimes you win...sometimes you lose.

you stepped up and that's the most important.

this is a very big an lucrative business...I see it rapidly expanding in personal and small business.

maybe adding credit repair in there as well. high risk but that's business.

salute and good luck.
  • _Jay_
    Options
    the more companies I buy, the more dividends I get

the more dividends I make, the more companies I can buy

continually add capital

at some point, there's a crossover, and your dividends alone can buy more companies. a little further and your dividend income will make enough to cover your living expenses. at that point, you're financially free. omw
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    _Jay_ wrote: »
    the more companies I buy, the more dividends I get

the more dividends I make, the more companies I can buy

continually add capital

at some point, there's a crossover, and your dividends alone can buy more companies. a little further and your dividend income will make enough to cover your living expenses. at that point, you're financially free. omw

this that real ? .

be proud of your ? and keep posting it.....

its good to see vs all the other negative stuff.
    you never settled and deserve to live your life like you never settled.

props playa...

let me get outta your way...

the KANG coming thru
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    not sure if these questions been asked but ill shoot...

who often do you drop money into your investments?

is it a certain amount or whatever you have?

do you have a solid amount and divy it up between everything or go one to the next as the money comes in?

who long have you been doing this?

how do you know which stocks are right for you?

how do you know what dividend payment is expected and when its due?

which broker do you use? do you use commission?

whats the highest percentage you deal with?

once you have enough saved along with dividends coming in....will you move over to real estates and get a duplex or triplex and like the dividend pay for it while you allow the rent to split between the two. to pay it off faster, add more to the stocks and save for another triplex
  • _Jay_
    Options

how often do you drop money into your investments?

do you have a solid amount and divy it up between everything or go one to the next as the money comes in?

how long have you been doing this?

how do you know what dividend payment is expected and when it's due?

what's the highest percentage you deal with?

once you have enough saved along with dividends coming in....will you move over to real estate and get a duplex or triplex and like the dividend pay for it while you allow the rent to split between the two. to pay it off faster, add more to the stocks and save for another triplex

I don't talk about it in here often, but last year, I created a positive habit...to pay myself first*, erytime I get paid. I do that erytime, the more the better. even if I have a million other obligations, I pay Jay Inc. FIRST. when I'm outta debt, Imma throw some real bread at my portfolio...for now tho, I'm doin what I can, and it is making a difference.

*not including tithes

I wanted more capital...so I had to retrain myself. I've since created another income stream, lowered my expenses, and I'm currently tryna increase my savings rate. it's not about how much one makes, it's about how much one KEEPS. there are ppl who've never made more than 40k in any given year, who became millionaires regardless.

I just throw the cash into my account (which also receives more capital through dividends I'm already currently receiving). When I see "sales" (corrections, low valuations), I pay attention. when the stock is sufficiently low enough, I shoot. I buy however many shares I can afford at the time. and I don't beat myself up too much if I can't purchase a lot at the time. <--- I used to do that, but it's unhealthy, just do what u can, and do more in the future when u can.

I started in 11/2014.

u want to purchases shares of companies that will continue to grow, and have track records of growing. best way to do so is to research the "Dividend Champions," then decide which companies u feel good about owning. why Dividend Champions? Cuz these companies all have a proven track record, and have raised dividends thru at least a few cycles. cycles include boom times and bull markets as well as recessions and bear markets. if you're looking at a company that's been raising dividends for the past 30 years, through war, recessions, bear markets, ? presidents, and history, it's pretty likely (but not guaranteed) that they'll continue to raise their dividends for the next 30 years.

dividend payments are announced in advance. u can also google "dividend history ___," including the stock symbol, and get the past 10 years' dividend history. more history is also available, online.

I started with TradeKing, who was recently bought by Ally Bank. my commission is $4.95 per trade. I try to purchase multiple trades at once, as opposed to one at a time, to get the most outta that $4.95.

highest percentage I deal with..? not understanding the question. if you're referring to commission, I only pay the $4.95 per trade. if you're talking about dividend, it varies, but I'm usually looking for companies that offer a 2% yield. there are exceptions tho, that I've already talked about in here. AAPL is one.

it's very unlikely that I'll ever deal with physical real estate. I'm older than most of y'all, and I prefer my money to make money, than me to have to provide "sweat equity" at this age. that being said, once I'm outta debt, I do plan on more dabbling. if I ever do get physical real estate, it's likely that I'll get a property manager (which isn't too expensive nowadays), and let him/her do all the physical work.

I'm also looking into alternative real estate groups, such as Fundraise, RealtyShares, and PeerStreet. just researching em atm, when I'm outta debt and have more capital to deploy, I'll make a choice on which to run with. atm, I'm content with monthly dividends from my regular REITs, Realty Income (O), and quarterly dividends from Healthcare Partners (HCP). a few months ago I said in this thread that I was through with REITs, but I've initiated a position with Realty since then, and added even more since then.

I've been offered an opportunity regarding real estate, but the rewards wouldn't come for at least 2-3 years, the sweat equity wasn't worth the time, and it would involve me moving backward in life, so I declined.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

how often do you drop money into your investments?

how long have you been doing this?

how do you know what dividend payment is expected and when it's due?

what's the highest percentage you deal with?

once you have enough saved along with dividends coming in....will you move over to real estate and get a duplex or triplex and like the dividend pay for it while you allow the rent to split between the two. to pay it off faster, add more to the stocks and save for another triplex

I don't talk about it in here often, but last year, I created a positive habit...to pay myself first*, erytime I get paid. I do that erytime, the more the better. even if I have a million other obligations, I pay Jay Inc. FIRST. when I'm outta debt, Imma throw some real bread at my portfolio...for now tho, I'm doin what I can, and it is making a difference.

*not including tithes

I wanted more capital...so I had to retrain myself. I've since created another income stream, lowered my expenses, and I'm currently tryna increase my savings rate. it's not about how much one makes, it's about how much one KEEPS. there are ppl who've never made more than 40k in any given year, who became millionaires regardless.

I just throw the cash into my account (which also receives more capital through dividends I'm already currently receiving). When I see "sales" (corrections, low valuations), I pay attention. when the stock is sufficiently low enough, I shoot. I buy however many shares I can afford at the time. and I don't beat myself up too much if I can't purchase a lot at the time. <--- I used to do that, but it's unhealthy, just do what u can, and do more in the future when u can.

I started in 11/2014.

u want to purchases shares of companies that will continue to grow, and have track records of growing. best way to do so is to research the "Dividend Champions," then decide which companies u feel good about owning. why Dividend Champions? Cuz these companies all have a proven track record, and have raised dividends thru at least a few cycles. cycles include boom times and bull markets as well as recessions and bear markets. if you're looking at a company that's been raising dividends for the past 30 years, through war, recessions, bear markets, ? presidents, and history, it's pretty likely (but not guaranteed) that they'll continue to raise their dividends for the next 30 years.

dividend payments are announced in advance. u can also google "dividend history ___," including the stock symbol, and get the past 10 years' dividend history. more history is also available, online.

I started with TradeKing, who was recently bought by Ally Bank. my commission is $4.95 per trade. I try to purchase multiple trades at once, as opposed to one at a time, to get the most outta that $4.95.

highest percentage I deal with..? not understanding the question. if you're referring to commission, I only pay the $4.95 per trade. if you're talking about dividend, it varies, but I'm usually looking for companies that offer a 2% yield. there are exceptions tho, that I've already talked about in here. AAPL is one.

it's very unlikely that I'll ever deal with physical real estate. I'm older than most of y'all, and I prefer my money to make money, than me to have to provide "sweat equity" at this age. that being said, once I'm outta debt, I do plan on more dabbling. if I ever do get physical real estate, it's likely that I'll get a property manager (which isn't too expensive nowadays), and let him/her do all the physical work.

I'm also looking into alternative real estate groups, such as Fundraise, RealtyShares, and PeerStreet. just researching em atm, when I'm outta debt and have more capital to deploy, I'll make a choice on which to run with. atm, I'm content with monthly dividends from my regular REITs, Realty Income (O), and quarterly dividends from Healthcare Partners (HCP). a few months ago I said in this thread that I was through with REITs, but I've initiated a position with Realty since then, and added even more since then.

I've been offered an opportunity regarding real estate, but the rewards wouldn't come for at least 2-3 years, the sweat equity wasn't worth the time, and it would involve me moving backward in life, so I declined.

well sir respect and I appreciate the advice and the gems you dropped.

we can all learn from each other.

One thing i am currently learning is to pay myself first.

@Sion who are the brokers you trade with and whats their commision?

Have you and jay ever thought about creating a firm....travel across the states giving advice the money stashing fine women who love men who talk money. i got two stops for yall if you do. jersey and RTP.

what hept you two motivated to want to keep going even when times get tough? stocks dropping ...? looking at you like you dont know what you takking abut.\

how do you not fall into the buying a nice car and nice clothe era. fine hoes need to eat bruh...how yall doing it.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    if someone gave @sion $250k and gave @_Jay_ $250k

what would yall do?

detail guys details
  • _Jay_
    edited July 2017
    Options

Have you and jay ever thought about creating a firm....travel across the states giving advice the money stashing fine women who love men who talk money. i got two stops for yall if you do. jersey and RTP.

what kept you two motivated to want to keep going even when times get tough? stocks dropping ...? looking at you like you dont know what you takking abut.\

how do you not fall into the buying a nice car and nice clothe era. fine hoes need to eat bruh...how yall doing it.

thank ya thank ya

eryday I read multiple investing articles and blogs. some of them used to preach creating positive habits. we all have negative habits, but most don't realize that it's easy to create positive ones too. paying myself first was the first one I dealt with. it can be as easy as setting your funds to auto-deposit when u get paid, or u can just force yourself to manually do it once u get paid. I choose the latter, it makes things more gratifying TO ME.

if Sion were to be down with this, and I made more than I currently do now, I'd prolly leave my current job, lol. I don't know how easy it would be to fly under the radar with this tho, if we had to get certified to do so, that might cause me to hesitate. dunno

knowing that one day I won't have to physically work has been all the motivation I need. another source of motivation has been in the amounts of my dividends increasing per month. I started with 0, then dealt with receiving cents every month (NOT dollars). now I'm receiving dollars every month, sometimes even daily during the month. better than any bank account.

besides my family and friends, I don't really talk to ? about what I'm doing. per my lady, I get happy when I'm talmbout my companies, and I tend to talk folks to death about it, lol

when stocks go down, I tend to get happy...I look at it like it's a sale. I only get salty when there's a sale goin on, and I don't have a lot of capital, so I can't cop anything. at times like those, I just look over my portfolio, and try to be grateful for what I've already got.

when stocks go down, I don't trip about the companies themselves, cuz I know it's very likely it's only temporary. General Mills (GIS) has been paying a dividend for over 100 years now, ? I look like being upset that their stock price is currently down?? with that being said, if the dividend is in danger, then that's a problem...but even if a dividend gets cut, I can just sell the capital from shares of the company I already own, and purchase another company's stock.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

what kept you two motivated to want to keep going even when times get tough? stocks dropping ...? looking at you like you dont know what you takking abut.\

thank ya thank ya

eryday I read multiple investing articles and blogs. some of them used to preach creating positive habits. we all have negative habits, but most don't realize that it's easy to create positive ones too. paying myself first was the first one I dealt with. it can be as easy as setting your funds to auto-deposit when u get paid, or u can just force yourself to manually do it once u get paid. I choose the latter, it makes things more gratifying TO ME.

if Sion were to be down with this, and I made more than I currently do now, I'd prolly leave my current job, lol. I don't know how easy it would be to fly under the radar with this tho, if we had to get certified to do so, that might cause me to hesitate. dunno

knowing that one day I won't have to physically work has been all the motivation I need. another source of motivation has been in the amounts of my dividends increasing per month. I started with 0, then dealt with receiving cents every month (NOT dollars). now I'm receiving dollars every month, sometimes even daily during the month. better than any bank account.

besides my family and friends, I don't really talk to ? about what I'm doing. per my lady, I get happy when I'm talmbout my companies, and I tend to talk folks to death about it, lol

when stocks go down, I tend to get happy...I look at it like it's a sale. I only get salty when there's a sale goin on, and I don't have a lot of capital, so I can't cop anything. at times like those, I just look over my portfolio, and try to be grateful for what I've already got.

when stocks go down, I don't trip about the companies themselves, cuz I know it's very likely it's only temporary. General Mills (GIS) has been paying a dividend for over 100 years now, ? I look like being upset that their stock price is currently down?? with that being said, if the dividend is in danger, then that's a problem...but even if a dividend gets cut, I can just sell the capital from shares of the company I already own, and purchase another company's stock.

thats a great way of looking at things. did you ever find people just wanting you to telling them the next hot thing rather then learning what to look for on their own? do people come to you with there hand out looking for you to get them started. did you ever think of lil jay and what you will do when hes hopping about? will you have something else setup for him and will you teach him about buying companies by changing around the meaning of monopoly.
  • _Jay_
    Options
    if someone gave @sion $250k and gave @_Jay_ $250k

what would yall do?

detail guys details

kinda depends...I might not ever work (for another person) again, depends...

I tend to stay away from these "what would u do with $X questions," but in this scenario...I dunno. I'd prolly cop some shares of a local private company (they're similar to Chick Fil A), and would definitely go ahead and move (to Texas). there I'd prolly take some time off, find a real estate gig to further research (not sure if I'd purchase the property directly or via shares), and then put 100k - 150k there...use the remaining amount on purchasing more shares in stocks, and knocking out my lil bit of debt. I'd continue renting, I have no want or need of a home atm. then just work either for myself, or have a part time gig to keep my mornings occupied, while I let my bread continue stacking. if I DID work again, I'd only work 3-4 years at the most, in order to create a good buffer, or margin of error.

• 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    @Qiv_Owan

why you up in here?

what you trynna do?

this aint a call to fight but i am curious why are in this investment thread. why are your investments looking like and why do you want them to go?
  • _Jay_
    Options

thats a great way of looking at things. did you ever find people just wanting you to telling them the next hot thing rather then learning what to look for on their own? do people come to you with there hand out looking for you to get them started. did you ever think of lil jay and what you will do when hes hopping about? will you have something else setup for him and will you teach him about buying companies by changing around the meaning of monopoly.

good looks

yup. I just give em space. I've got a few ppl I was gonna personally take under my wing, and show em how I'm doin erything, so they can do it too. they weren't interested in it tho, and I ain't the type of ? to keep repeating myself.

ppl approaching me with their hand out?? Lmaooo, hell nah

I've got 2 sons and a daughter, Babygirl (the oldest) just graduated high school in May. I've already copped her another book (she didn't read the first one, *sighs*), and in a minute, I'm about to begin copping her shares of Vanguard's Total Stock Market ETF (VTI). doin the same with the boys, as they graduate. not tryna tell them erything at once, but I'll get em started in the dividends-receiving process and let em know there's a lot more, if they're interested.

• Qiv_Owan
    Options
    Mainly in here for the knowledge so when I do get right I'll know how to approach

I throw money into stocks and commodities every now and then but nothing major and I usually remove it before anything major happens

But I know a ? cant get rich or wealthy just working a job, gotta have assets cuz once that checking and savings get to 0 I realize money aint really ?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

good looks

yup. I just give em space. I've got a few ppl I was gonna personally take under my wing, and show em how I'm doin erything, so they can do it too. they weren't interested in it tho, and I ain't the type of ? to keep repeating myself.

I've got 2 sons and a daughter, Babygirl (the oldest) just graduated high school in May. I've already copped her another book (she didn't read the first one, *sighs*), and in a minute, I'm about to begin copping her shares of Vanguard's Total Stock Market ETF (VTI). doin the same with the boys, as they graduate. not tryna tell them erything at once, but I'll get em started in the dividends-receiving process and let em know there's a lot more, if they're interested.

one last question for you jay

do you pay you whole tithes? or what you can give. And is it first before you pay yourself or after the tithes?

maybe i need a money question thread ....i dont want to mess this thread up. i want to be able to ask questions that will help people make good decisions but they may not have thought to ask.

i think its something we can all learn from.....what say _jay_ and @Sion

• Qiv_Owan
    Options

good looks

do you pay you whole tithes? or what you can give. And is it first before you pay yourself or after the tithes?

maybe i need a money question thread ....i dont want to mess this thread up. i want to be able to ask questions that will help people make good decisions but they may not have thought to ask.

Yea
  • _Jay_
    Options

I pay 11% of my net, out of each of my income streams, for my tithes*. I then pay myself a healthy amount for my portfolio and my savings, THEN pay bills. bills are always gonna be there, so I pay me before I pay them.

I would love to throw like 40%-50% of my earnings into my portfolio, to hasten my financial independence. it's def in the cards, but I've gotta get outta debt first.

*I pay over 10% because I started late : /

• dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ok, so do you still get payed your dividend even if the stock price goes down? Also, do you think Microsoft, Coca Cola, and Apple good places to start in regards to long term positions and dividends?
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also, do I have to set up a payment plan for me to get the dividend payment, or will those dividend earnings simply be credited to my portfolio?
  • Qiv_Owan
    Options
    I know Microsoft pays 33 cents per share dividend, guy at work just got his first one recently
  • _Jay_
    edited July 2017
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »
    Ok, so do you still get paid your dividend even if the stock price goes down? Also, do you think Microsoft, Coca Cola, and Apple good places to start in regards to long term positions and dividends?

yes. u don't even have to sweat the price of the stock (unless you're purchasing shares of the stock; if you're purchasing shares, the lower the price is, the better because u can purchase more shares for more dividends)

if a company runs into some tough times and have to cut their dividend,THAT'S a problem. however, 1. it doesn't happen often, 2. when it does happen, there's usually a lead up, 3. u can hold on to the shares u already have, or sell em and cop shares of something else that's better (diversification).

or, one can just cop ETFs, such as Vanguard's VOO (S&P 500 Index), or VTI (entire US stock market). since these cover indexes and aren't individual companies, you'll never have to worry about dividend cuts of any individual company. however, your quarterly dividends will be "lumpy," <==== they won't be the same or going up every quarter.

definitely. I own Coca Cola (KO) and Apple (AAPL) already, and I'm planning on copping Microsoft (MSFT) whenever their valuation goes down. with that being said, don't expect explosive growth. you're lookin for steady, dependable income. the best choices out there are what's listed as "dividend champions," they're not guaranteed to avoid dividend cuts, but they all have been in their respective businesses for decades and have been providing uninterrupted dividends for at least 25 years each.

whichever u cop, ALWAYS try to cop at a good price (valuation) so u can have what's called a margin of error. if you're unsure of what a good price is, go look up the company on Morningstar.com or Yahoo Finance...look for the "52-Week Range," and try to buy when the current price isn't much higher than whatever the lowest price in the last 52 weeks have been...

for example, rn Microsoft's share price is $72.78. the 52 week range is $52.93-$73.27. if u were to cop shares right now, you're not giving yourself any margin of error, u don't have any wiggle room. u wanna cop on the low end, so you'd wait for the share price to be about $57 through like $63.

of course, this is just a quick way, it's best to do one's homework first. know what you're purchasing, what type of company it is, and how they make their money. u don't wanna be owning ? and don't even know how they make money, that's asking for trouble.
    dwade206 wrote: »
    Also, do I have to set up a payment plan for me to get the dividend payment, or will those dividend earnings simply be credited to my portfolio?

they'll simply credit them to your portfolio. as far as I'm aware, some brokerages credit the dividends the day of, others post em the day following. either is fine.