Why DON'T You Listen To Old School Hip Hop?

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
In the other thread Grandmaster Flash and The Furious 5 got voted off by a landslide.

People claim to listen to Al Green, Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder.

When Prince died people said he was The GOAT.

People still say Michael Jackson is the GOAT of all GOATS.

How come those same people don't listen to old school rap?

Clearly old school rap sounds different than new rap, but then again, Al Green and Marvin Gaye sound different than R Kelly and Usher.

Why don't you (YES YOU!!!) listen to old school Hip Hop?

Comments

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Because a big part of music to me is the nostalgic effect, don't get me wrong I love hip hop history but I wasn't there, it's not classic to me personally but I appreciate it and I do bump a ton of old school hip hop just not all of it, when I hear the chronic I'm taken back to playing football, whiffle ball or jail break in the back yard while my neighbor was bumping it out the window, when I hear murda music I'm taken back to my first car that used to smoke up the whole school yard but I had that album in rotation in my 88 accord with blackout and nastradamus on the same cassette for months at a time, Stillmatic it was like I was one of the few who knew he was the one and was going to handle Jay, it wasn't like now where he is the undeniable goat when he was only 4 albums in but I was heavy on napster and had all his unreleased ? so when he took the streets back with Stillmatic it didn't surprise me, I just couldn't wait to hear what else he was going to bring and it delivered, it ? like that being brought back to moments in time I just wasn't there for the old school, but I appreciate it
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Funky 4+1 - That's The Joint
    https://youtu.be/FzuskHUux6U

Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5 - It's Nasty (Genius Of Love)
    https://youtu.be/Hcn5oHh4RX8

Sugarhill Gang - Apache (Jump On It)
    https://youtu.be/vQObWW06VAM

Whodini - 5 Minutes Of Funk
    https://youtu.be/mNB4AcP7v_E
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? everything has a time and place. I was born long after that so Ima listen to that ? at family reunions and barbeques. It is what it is. Quit tryna resurrect that old ? . Many of us young oldheads respect it, but we're not of that era.

But whatever, don't blink nuccah
  • lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even if your a youngin', y'all mean u dont got fathers or uncles that introduce u to the older nice ? and play it around the house when yall growing up ? That's how every other genre of music gets passed down.
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a generational thing that's the way it is. It happens to every genre of music. People can act like it's just hip hop but it isn't. Not every kid that's rock fans have The Beatles or The Rolling Stones on their playlist. It shouldn't be anything to get annoyed about. Only when people misunderstand or repeat histories mistakes should you be worried.

Classic or old school hip hop has its place and it always will be.
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The best thing to come out of the 80's is RAKIM!
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The best thing to come out of the 80's is RAKIM!

Guess we'll just ignore Kane and Rick.
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was born in 86
    Old school to me is bone thugs and tupac and biggie
    I listen to that ? daily
    ? them ? hrrrahh ass ? you talkin bout
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    I think like someone said, nostalgia. I was born in 83 and grew up on the west. My earliest memories of music begin with nwa, ice t, dj quick, king t, and so on. Basically old school west coast hip hop.

Don't get me wrong, I love 80s hip hop. In my rotation you'll find rakim, kane, bdp, g rap, and similar artists.

Some people, especially hip hop heads, tend to equate childhood memories with the music they heard around them.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I listen to some of it... Not gonna listen to ? just cause its old though. There are elements of old music that I like, but whether its my age or not, there is just more that resonates with me in 90s rap.
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? I'm 24 90's is old school to me. People younger then me think it's old school lil Wayne whenever I bump The Carter around them. I be like wtf? Lol its a generational thing I respect the guys that started it all but as time changes so does the music b
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You can't cross compare old school rap to golden age R&B and soul. There is not 1 rapper that had a classic era like Stevie (seen him live). It's hard to think any rapper could have the same impact on music as BB King (seen him live RIP). And that is the issue. What is thought of as "old school rap" as far as the 80s and some (not all of the early 90s) is the equivalent of listen to ? spirituals from the late 1800s.

Before Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters and Stevie and BB and Marvin there was nearly 80 to 100 years of slave and then post slave music. That music was the blueprint but most of it didn't age well and was in the infant stages of black music in America. No offense but i don't jam much 80s rap and some 90's rap because the ? did not age well.

At the same time you can catch me bumping Tribes 2nd and 3rd album stored in my cars memory bank. You can catch me also bumping it was written or illmatic as well from time to time. Same with other 90's golden age ? that did age well. But what old heads don't want to always admit is there is tons of old ? that doesn't age well. The other thing old hip hop heads can't admit is when it comes to the best R&B or rock legends musically they have tons more talent then the most talented rappers hands down. Stevie wonder live in concert at his old age is miles better than the Jay Z or Nas show i went to and i loved those rappers live shows. Hip hop is far from easy but there is a reason why other genres respect the gods of their era and in hip hop things change and old things don't always age well.

• D.D.S.
    D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Because that ? is horrendous and the production is ? . 90s hip hop >>>>
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quality wise it's just not as good man most of the rhymes are wack if we're bein' honest and the beats have aged horribly.

Respect where it's due but nah man