How Come Jordans Are The Only Sneakers That Sell?

Options

Comments

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    O.G. wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »

It would stand to reason that guys would buy Usain Bolt's shoes to look cool .

Usain_Bolt_Running_Shoes_C_01.jpg

giphy.gif

Well they look pretty terrible in shiny orange, but it might look better in blue or black.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Theses aren't so bad. I'd wear them.

6106964.jpg
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »
    My problem is that I have wide feet. The only Nikes that fit are the Air Monrachs which only come in Black and White

ig6pnpkgokg7s3dyafjc.jpg

on everything i love, i referee with a couple of cats who wear these

them ? is the official ref kicks and the McDonalds manager kicks
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My problem is that I have wide feet. The only Nikes that fit are the Air Monrachs which only come in Black and White

ig6pnpkgokg7s3dyafjc.jpg

The Air Monarchs are all that Pete Carroll wears also, he had a pair in Action Green during the Seahawks Thursday night game that matched their "color rush" uniforms.
  • 5 Grand
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Rampage12 wrote: »

ig6pnpkgokg7s3dyafjc.jpg

The Air Monarchs are all that Pete Carroll wears also, he had a pair in Action Green during the Seahawks Thursday night game that matched their "color rush" uniforms.

He must have wide feet.

Ya'll don't know what its like to walk into Foot Locker and not be able to buy 90% of the shoes in the store because they don't fit properly.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    marc123 wrote: »
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    They sell the most but ain't the only shoe that sells.

Also nobody you mentioned is considered the undisputed GOAT of their sport.

Most people want to be aligned with the best and Jordan is considered the best. Damn near everyone else its debatable.

Also folks are brainwashed and Nike shoes horrible when it comes to quality.

Serena is the undisputed GOAT. I think she has more championships than anyone.

Also I forgot Tiger Woods. He was The GOAT of golf at one point.

And nobody's seeing Tom Brady when it comes to tossing the pigskin.

Tennis not mainstream, still viewed mainly by white people and still considered a white persons sport. As wrong as they might be plenty of white will still argue Billie Jean King is still the GOAT female tennis player

Tiger is viewed as a whitewashed cornball and a sucka. Most of all he not views as the undisputed GOAT of golf

Tom Brady is not even considered the undisputed GOAT QB let alone just plain ol football player regardless of position

@ bolded...

idi-amin-laughing.gif

Am I wrong?
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah Son wrote: »
    My boy AI had a solid run

reebok-question-low-white-red-og-1.jpg

reebok-answer-iv-4.jpg

zh22gwj16fqtn8qou1pr_dm1ufu.jpg

Guess I'm just going to be the lone dissenter on this ? . The 1st pair OK in a different color.

The other 2 pairs never even thought about wearing those EVER!

The Questions are classic and super comfortable. Wouldn't ever hoop in them way too heavy but the other joints are ugly as hell.

After his first shoe the line was trash.
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rampage12 wrote: »

ig6pnpkgokg7s3dyafjc.jpg

He must have wide feet.

Ya'll don't know what its like to walk into Foot Locker and not be able to buy 90% of the shoes in the store because they don't fit properly.

Or he's a 65 year old white male.
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jordan brand has a bunch of athletes signed to them, pretty sure some of those sales are due to them as well. The classic J's they keep re-releasing; are just that classic and a lot of people want em. Add the hype beast sneaker collectors into the equation...

As big as Lebron is, he's not tapping into the casual or collectors markets yet, maybe idk...

In the end it's just good branding and marketing on Nike's part, the GOAT BBall player did used to hoop in them afterall even though Nike paid him to wear them and gave him truck loads of shoes for free rofl...
  • 5 Grand
    edited January 2017
    Options
    achewon87 wrote: »
    Jordan brand has a bunch of athletes signed to them, pretty sure some of those sales are due to them as well. The classic J's they keep re-releasing; are just that classic and a lot of people want em. Add the hype beast sneaker collectors into the equation...

As big as Lebron is, he's not tapping into the casual or collectors markets yet, maybe idk...

In the end it's just good branding and marketing on Nike's part, the GOAT BBall player did used to hoop in them afterall even though Nike paid him to wear them and gave him truck loads of shoes for free rofl...

I understand that MJ is considered "The GOAT ball player" but what I'm saying is that I remember when Jordans first came out in the 80s. He hadn't won a title, all he did was win the dunk contest and his sneakers outselling any other brand. Case in Point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA3oxE4X5w8
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options

I understand that MJ is considered "The GOAT ball player" but what I'm saying is that I remember when Jordans first came out in the 80s. He hadn't won a title, all he did was win the dunk contest and his sneakers outselling any other brand. Case in Point:

Even back then he was considered one of the top 3-5 players in the league. Plus who else had a sneaker deal back then.

And again no one(or very few) is buying sneakers based off how many championships a player has. You keep saying that ? but don't show anything that shows x amount of jordans brought are because he got 6 championships.

• 5 Grand
    Options

Even back then he was considered one of the top 3-5 players in the league. Plus who else had a sneaker deal back then.

And again no one(or very few) is buying sneakers based off how many championships a player has. You keep saying that ? but don't show anything that shows x amount of jordans brought are because he got 6 championships.

1. Allen Iverson, Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Vince Carter and Dwyane Wade, Stephen Curry were all at one point considered the top 3-5 players in the league and their sneakers never took off like Jordans.

2. I posted 3 charts in my O/P that shows that Jordans are outselling the current championship winners.

I remember when Jordan was in his prime. But there's a whole generation of fans that don't remember prime Jordan. The best player they've ever seen is Kobe Bryant, or maybe LeBron James (its debatable). But Kobe Bryant and LeBron James' sneakers(combined) don't sell half of what Jordans sell.

Dude scored 81 points in a game and people still bought Jordans.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ? claimed Jordans... is crazy cuz I get thread starters point. Its hard to explain.back in the day it was like all the athlete had shoes.. after like 2 or 3 years they fell off. I remember the Shaqs, Griffeys, Bo Jacksons, ewings, barkleys, deions, pennys, Kidds,Pippens, barry sanders, grant Hills , AI's.. I had several of those shoes andthey were tight and folk wanted them . Nowadays its different. They stars dont get the same promotion and when they do it seems forced and all of the dont have shoes. Jordans seem like they had the staying power along with the hype. Think about it besides Bron and KD no other athlete shoes sell for real.... They just wear Jordans re put out a retros over and over
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    ? claimed Jordans... is crazy cuz I get thread starters point. Its hard to explain.back in the day it was like all the athlete had shoes.. after like 2 or 3 years they fell off. I remember the Shaqs, Griffeys, Bo Jacksons, ewings, barkleys, deions, pennys, Kidds,Pippens, barry sanders, grant Hills , AI's.. I had several of those shoes andthey were tight and folk wanted them . Nowadays its different. They stars dont get the same promotion and when they do it seems forced and all of the dont have shoes. Jordans seem like they had the staying power along with the hype. Think about it besides Bron and KD no other athlete shoes sell for real.... They just wear Jordans re put out a retros over and over

Thats what I'm saying. There have been dozens of world class, championship winning athletes over the past 30 years, but nobody's sneaker line comes anywhere near close to Jordans. And he's been retired for 15 years now.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options

1. Allen Iverson, Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Vince Carter and Dwyane Wade, Stephen Curry were all at one point considered the top 3-5 players in the league and their sneakers never took off like Jordans.

None of those ? was playing in the 80's, which you referenced.

2. I posted 3 charts in my O/P that shows that Jordans are outselling the current championship winners.

Dude scored 81 points in a game and people still bought Jordans.

Now of that ? you posted showed any correlation to championships and sneakers sales. Two of em was the same damn charts just turned different ways.

Like come on slim, you can't be this dense and think folks are buying or should be buying sneakers based on stats.

• 5 Grand
    Options
    I don't understand your premise.

My premise is that whatever decade you choose and whatever sport you choose there were superstar athletes that had their own sneaker. But none of those superstar athletes' sneaker line sold like Michael Jordan's sneaker line.

That's not a difficult premise to understand.

Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Bo Jackson, Carl Lewis, Dennis Rodman, Jackie Joyner-Kersey, Flo Jo, Ken Griffy Jr, Emmit Smith, Barry Sanders, Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, Usain Bolt, Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Tiger Woods, Derek Jeter, Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa, LeBron James, Yao Ming, Tim Duncan, Grant Hill, Vince Carter, Dwayne Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Shaquille O'Neal, Michael Phelps.

^^^Those guys are all superstar athletes that at one point or another had their particular sport on lockdown.

But if you combined the sales of ALL of their sneaker lines I doubt it would add up to what Jordans have sold in the past 5 years. I'm asking why? How come the combined total of all of those sneaker lines don't add up to what Jordans have sold in the past 5 years?

Now what is your premise?
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Marketing

What Nike did in the 80s and 90s can't be replicated. To this day companies study Nike and what they did with advertising. Not only with MJ, he just happened to be the first, but whatever they touched turned to gold.

MJ was becoming a global superstar and Nike played into that. So what did they do? They put him out as much as they could and soon other brands jumped on board. Before you knew it MJ was like walking billboard.

Nike, Gatorade, Hanes, Mcdonalds, Wheaties etc. There were so many things you could identify with MJ. Then you mix in the times, the culture started to shift. TV was on more and longer which means commercials are everywhere. Jordans were essentially seen as a status symbol just look at "Do the Right Thing".

MJs greatness mixed with the genius marketing of Nike is the reason why Jordans are so special.