Fresh Produce Beat Battle 1: Swiffness! v. tommyj56304 (Winner: Swiffness!)

Options
Tha Killa
Tha Killa Members Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in Fresh Produce
What up fellas? I know this battle has taken a minute to get under way, but I wanted to make it so that everybody had enough chances to prove they're the best in the game, so please excuse the delay.

This is how it's gonna work out. Each producer has until tommorow @ 5:00 PST to check in and post their beat for Round 1, in this thread, to be judged by your peers, AND the panel of judges I have selected. The winner of Round 1 is awarded 1 point

And if ya'll need a memory refreshment for the rules for Round 1:
Round 1 will consist of each producer submitting one of the hottest beats of their choice in the style that I give you. So if I ask you to submit a ? Souf beat each, the best beat, both sonically AND thematically, wins the Round. So if you ain't versatile, or at least have beats of different styles I suggest you pull out now. For each round I'll give you a day to submit that beat and I'll PM you a reminder of the deadline. So if you ain't already got a hot beat that fits the style that I ask for, make one nagga!

Today's style of beat will be Rap-Rock. Here's an example of that style of beat. Here's a more recent example of that style of beat.

Round 2 will begin, in this thread, on Wednesday afternoon.

Comments

• The Prime Minister
    The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    SWOTLTD32.jpg
    Options
    "It's over Anakin. I have the high ground."

obi-wan-mustafar.jpg
  • Tha Killa
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Where's tommyj at?
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    lol, did you visit dude's soundclick?

he's still in that "Wow, I made this!" larval stage
  • Tha Killa
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    lol, did you visit dude's soundclick?

he's still in that "Wow, I made this!" larval stage

He has until tomorrow at 5:00 PST to prove you wrong.
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    Kang_Solomon_Grundy Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
  • Swiffness!
    edited August 2010
    Options
  • Tha Killa
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Bwahahaha! Swiffness!, you're a fool for that! I wouldn't underestimate Tommy though, if I were you man. There are 3 Rounds to these battles so you can't afford to slip up not once. Me and the other judges will deliberate after he drops his beat.

You should see what I got in store for the next few Rounds. I got a surprise for you ? tho.
  • Tha Killa
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The other judges will be here later, but here are the two criteria we'll be judging on:

1.) How well does your beat fuse the two genres of Rock and Rap both sonically and aesthetically......

2.) Which beat could I see myself rapping to, and which sounds better to me?

With that said, I think Swiffness!'s beat fit criteria 1 better than Tommy J's. I think the war theme was a great idea for this style of beat, and the "Time to test our spirits!" part was both hilarious and actually a good addition. It's a solid beat and a great opening shot to this battle.

Yet I'd have to say that Tommy's beat fits criteria 2 the best because although it does have a New Age Pop power ballad feel to it, the beat itself is still pretty good in spite of that. Even though I can definitely tell the Kanye influence. The synths are a great touch (albeit simple) and the groove is aesthetically pleasing. That's not to say that I can't see myself goin' off to the Swiffness! beat, because that's a beat I can see somebody use for a Super Bowl promo because of the grandiose quality of it, but me personally, I'd have to give the slight edge to Tommy. It was a tougher decision than I expected, but even though these beats are on opposite sides of the spectrum, they both have a lot of qualities you look for in a dope beat.

I'll give you both the acapella to remix while I wait for the other judges to chime in. Gimme a min to find it.
  • Tha Killa
    edited August 2010
    Options
    After the other judges chime in on the victor of Round 1..........
    Tha Killa wrote:
    Round 2 will consist of me giving each of you a modern Hip-Hop/R&B song's acapella track to remix and whoever constructs a better beat than both their opponent AND/OR the original producer, wins the Round

Round 2 begins with both producers remixing THIS song to the best of their ability. And whoever wins this Round will be awarded 2 points.

So make it count! I expect your submissions by Friday evening. Let's say 5:00 P.M. PST?
  • Tha Killa
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Know what? ? it. How 'bout the rest of Fresh Produce judge these battles and whoever gets 3 votes first wins the Round?
  • Swiffness!
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yeah....I JUST got back to the crib after being exiled for exterminator work since Tuesday.
  • Tha Killa
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yeah....I JUST got back to the crib after being exiled for exterminator work since Tuesday.

Ok fam/ I'll give you 'til Monday if you need it.
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    As far as round 1, going along with the judging criteria:

I'd have to agree with Killer. Swifness beat definitely followed the rap rock format a little more faithfully with the heavy guitar. I like the aggressive metal sound.

As far as what beat would sound best with a rapper, I'd go with the second beat. It had the bubbly new wave sound that was prevalent in 80s rock and it was a simple but great beat so I can easily see someone riding off of it successfully.
  • Tha Killa
    edited August 2010
    Options
    As far as round 1, going along with the judging criteria:

I'd have to agree with Killer. Swifness beat definitely followed the rap rock format a little more faithfully with the heavy guitar. I like the aggressive metal sound.

As far as what beat would sound best with a rapper, I'd go with the second beat. It had the bubbly new wave sound that was prevalent in 80s rock and it was a simple but great beat so I can easily see someone riding off of it successfully.

So who, in your opinion, takes Round 1?
  • tommyj56304
    tommyj56304 Members Posts: 11
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I've been super busy myself. I'll try to get the remix in this weekend if thats ok with killer and swiffness. Its been fun so far.
  • Tha Killa
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I've been super busy myself. I'll try to get the remix in this weekend if thats ok with killer and swiffness. Its been fun so far.

Yeah it's cool. Just keep me posted man. Like I said, I can give you 'til Monday if you need it.
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    edited August 2010
    Options
    both beats were good; I vote for swiffness - I see dipset makin' a dope-ass anthem outta that one; props fellas!!!!
  • Swiffness!
    edited August 2010
    Options
    cot dammit killer, that acapella is faster than the original bpm.

and the way nas's flow floats on that song, you pretty much need the original as a frame of reference, even tapping along is treacherous

i even looked up blends other people did and they're all offbeat as ?

i am ? furious
  • Tha Killa
    edited August 2010
    Options
    cot dammit killer, that acapella is faster than the original bpm.

and the way nas's flow floats on that song, you pretty much need the original as a frame of reference, even tapping along is treacherous

i even looked up blends other people did and they're all offbeat as ?

i am ? furious

No problem. I can find another one for you guys to flip if you want. I got a lot of ac's to give ya'll.

Then again, it IS possible.

• tommyj56304
    tommyj56304 Members Posts: 11
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Its up to swiffness. I put something together, but its not very good especially compared to the one killer posted. You say the word swiff. I'm down to do a different one otherwise i'll post what i got.
  • Swiffness!
    edited August 2010
    Options
    nah its cool, i was blowin off steam. i suck at matching acapella vocals so whenever I get a acapella that's different than the original, I feel like a colorblind man tryin to solve a Rubix cube lol

finding the remix killer posted would've made it easier....as it is i broke up the acapella into sections and dragged them around so it sorta fits
  • Swiffness!
    edited August 2010
    Options
    WTC_Memorial.jpg

http://www.zshare.net/audio/791807169120f990/

be sure to listen all the way thru

i hate New York btw rofl
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    edited August 2010
    Options
    you rocked that ? , brainiac - stuck with the theme and er'thang!!! good ? bruh!!!!